JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a pretty sobering thought today. I work as a service advisor at a small automotive repair shop. Typically I get off work around 6PM. Monday I was at the shop late and when I went out to my motorcycle to ride home I found a flat front tire- slashed. So was the customer's rear tire on the truck parked next to where my motorcycle was. A review of the security video from the body shop next door showed the scumbag come creeping up a little after 6, you can hear the air start hissing from the punctured tires, and the a-hole just walks away. Basic vandalism.

My thought today was that if he'd been a little later or I'd finished my paperwork a little sooner he might have gotten himself shot! I would never shoot someone over my property- I have insurance for that. My point is, if I came walking out there, catch him in the act and he pulls his stabbing implement on me- I'd most likely have shot him. That's a pretty sobering thought

I carry concealed every day.I take it very seriously. I'd never shoot someone over property but I wouldn't hesitate one second to drop a threat to myself or others like a scumbag with a knife.

If I get your thought your are correct in how you feel and would be correct in your actions since your life would have been in danger how he shown the knife.
It is interesting that you call it a sobering thought that you may have had to shoot and kill with you weapon. Perhaps it was the awakening you needed to realize the differnce between saying your ready and having to be ready to put it into action.

That's totally true. I mean I served 6 years in the Marines- constant training, but during that time there wasn't any combat anywhere and I was young enough the gravity of taking someone's life never really sank in. Even now this is the first time I can honestly think that I likely would have needed the weapon I have carried every day since I got my CHL. Just thought it was eye-opening even for someone who has a reasonable amount of training

This is why as things get worse having a rich-appearing or fancy vehicle down the road will be a mistake. When people can't get their Big Mac or gov cheese they'll have a tendency to take it out on the parked Mercedes.

Other ways to look at it.

You confront the guy. He brandishes the knife. You draw down on him and yell "drop the weapon". He does and runs off. Let him go and call the cops.

You confront the guy. He brandishes the knife. You back off and draw your gun to cover your retreat. Let him go and call the cops.

Now if he enters your place of business or home, that is a different set of rules of engagement.

I would just be careful that any use of force is conmensurate with the danger.

What's good about hearing about these things here is that we get to have the scenario which actually occurred and think about how we would handle it. We may, or may not, have handled it the way we think but getting a chance to think about it may help prepare us if we are ever in that situation. Thanks for posting.

This is why as things get worse having a rich-appearing or fancy vehicle down the road will be a mistake.

Exactly the reason why I drive exterior stock looking vehicles. I'm 43 now, my flashy car days are over. I have nobody I need to impress. Been there, done that.... and spent a lot of money making my car a target for thieves and vandals. Never again.

That being said, if some scumbag was slashing my tires as I came around the corner and he jumped up and pulled the blade on me I'd drop him without hesitation.

Other ways to look at it.

You confront the guy. He brandishes the knife. You draw down on him and yell "drop the weapon". He does and runs off. Let him go and call the cops.

You confront the guy. He brandishes the knife. You back off and draw your gun to cover your retreat. Let him go and call the cops.

Now if he enters your place of business or home, that is a different set of rules of engagement.

I would just be careful that any use of force is conmensurate with the danger.
Add: he brandishes his knife and comes at you, even after you draw your weapon, shoot to stop the threat, repeat as necessary.

Someone mentioned a Mercedes and I happen to drive one.
It' not new, and I didn't spend a fortune on it, but some punk ripped off my hood emblem.
I was steaming pissed when I saw the damage in the morning. When I get around to replacing it and someone does it again they better hope I do not catch them in the act. If I do they will eat that thing first and then their face will become my new hood ornament.
Can you tell. I hate vandals?

It' not new, and I didn't spend a fortune on it, but some punk ripped off my hood emblem.
I was steaming pissed when I saw the damage in the morning. When I get around to replacing it and someone does it again they better hope I do not catch them in the act. If I do they will eat that thing first and then their face will become my new hood ornament.

I only hope they have a good face. I hate an ugly hood ornament.

Punk must have already mastered all his video games and there was nothing on TV, nobody to text and nothing left to do but destroy someone else's property! Douche in training!!

There is no video game about slicing tires... Stop taking the NRA approach to gun violence please. I also fully expect you to produce a video game now in about a week, just like they did as well.

Hope you got the police on this, but it will wind up a slap on the wrist. Personally I think all misdemeanors and non-violent crimes should be solved by a public caning, like they do in Singapore. Getting your butt bloody beat will deter a lot of people and not send them to the criminal university to learn another no-good skill.

You should rig the ornament to the battery so it gives a nasty shock if you touch it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top