JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Goes to show ya, if they want it, they'll take it !!

Gun, Taser Stolen From Unmarked Police Car

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A gun, Taser and vest were stolen from an unmarked police car parked in a Portland driveway, officers said.

The break-in occurred Monday night and the officer discovered the theft in the morning, said Detective Mary Wheat of the Portland Police Bureau.

The stolen equipment was stored in a locked container that was secured to the car. The thief or thieves dismantled the car alarm and broke open the container.

The investigation into the theft ongoing, Wheat said.

The stolen equipment was stored in a locked container that was secured to the car. The thief or thieves dismantled the car alarm and broke open the container.

Seriously?

How does one disable an alarm without it going off? You must pop the hood, etc.

*sigh*

Seriously?

How does one disable an alarm without it going off? You must pop the hood, etc.

*sigh*

Not all the time. I had a friend who had someone crawl under his truck and wiggle some cutters up in there and take out the battery cables. His truck was also a 2 wheel drive so not lifted where access would be easy. Things that people wil do if they want things bad enough.

I just wonder why the stuff was locked in the car? You would think that a LEO would bring it into the house and then lock it up? Probably a good reason somewhere.

We raffle off a new mustang every year to benefit Doernbecher Hospital. Last year while the car was in a residential driveway overnight, thieves cut open the hood over the battery, removed the cables and then stole the wheels and tires.
They missed the battery location the first try and cut a second hole. They got away clean.

This isn't the first time this has happend as some of us may know..... u would think of all people the cops would know better. Yeah yeah yeah I know cops are human blah blah but this is what happens when u don't think before u do something. I wonder if the cops get in trouble...... probably not.

This isn't the first time this has happend as some of us may know..... u would think of all people the cops would know better. Yeah yeah yeah I know cops are human blah blah but this is what happens when u don't think before u do something. I wonder if the cops get in trouble...... probably not.

Why should he/she get in trouble? Would you or I be in trouble if some arse hole broke into your car and stole a fire arm?

Oh I am sure that my county would crawl up my bum and investigate it..... it would be an act of carelessness and because of that now there is another firearm out there in the hands of bad guys. I could also see my license getting yanked because of that. Apparently the safe box was not secure enough for weapon storage over night or whatever and if the vehicle was in the garage I could understand keeping the pistol, tazer, and vest inside the car. When your out and about on duty that is one thing but when you leave stuff like that in the car over night ...... well that's what happens. How hard would it have been for the tazer and pistol to be secured and taken inside? I am not in law enforcement and I have more common since. These people went to collage.....they are suppose to use good judgement ....... that's just my oppinion.... the bad guys didn't steal candy..... they took a GUN and tazer now the poor officer has to spend all kinds of money to replace the stolen stuff.
I hope this has been a learning experience for everyone but I don't think this is the last time this happens.

" It was in the newspaper, so it has to be true." Now, I'm all for granting the benefit of the doubt, but in this case a much more likely and believable scenario comes to mind. The benefit of the doubt is a fools errand when a more likely explanation is front and center:

Cop arrives home in his unmarked vehicle, leaves all of his stuff unsecure. (cops are human too--at least most of them). Maybe his kid came running out to greet him, wife called him in for a phone call, kid's bike was in the driveway, etc., etc., etc., or maybe he just forgot, done this before, or does it regularly.

Stuff gets ripped.

Cop discovers the rip the next morning. His posterior is in the wind and he knows it. Cop does the only thing he can do to salvage his career. Disables the alarm, busts up the gun box, etc., etc., etc. He gambles, and rightly so, that if it looks like a good car clout, his colleagues will treat is as such. Their entire department's image (posterior) is in the wind as much as his.

This makes infinitely more sense than your average car-clouter selecting what is obviously a cop car (even "unmarked"), and spending all the hazardous time and effort to disable the alarm, bust up the gun box, etc., etc., etc. Car clouters are occasionally very skilled at what they do, but on the average, they are stupid kids or meth-driven brain-addled nervous wrecks. They look for the easy marks. Even the kid or the meth-guy would be aware that if interrupted, they'd be interrupted by a skilled man with a gun. No time or place for alarm-disabling or gun-box smashing. I believe this was an easy mark, or at least I can believe this much more readily than the scenario finally presented.

This is not cop-bashing. I work with them every day, my father was a cop, and I was an MP. Most cops are human. They make mistakes. They are very good at covering a mistake, and covering for each other's mistakes.

The best cops (perhaps this guy is one) know that their best skill is thinking like a criminal. If the easily believable (rather than the hard-to-believe) scenario is correct, he did the only thing he could do. Praise to him for pulling it off, and I imagine he learned a valuable lesson in the process.

"The stolen equipment was stored in a locked container that was secured to the car."

My guess is that container was authorized and and probably installed by the department. And if that's the case, the officer won't be reprimanded.

I didn't know Police Cars had alarms...I also don't know who would be stupid enough to try it. But, if it actually was in a lock box, he shouldn't get in any trouble. You would think you would hear somebody smashing open a lockbox though...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top