JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The clash of rights. It's just the 2nd Amendment (and the others) were intended to restrict the government, not free people. Utah does have a law that required employers to allow firearms (locked) in the parking lot or requires alternate places or a locked space.

Private property is private property.

To answer the question, in general, yes, a private property owner can ban firearms on his/her property.

There may be exceptions for "public venues".

There is also the question of whether a vehicle is private property in and of itself - e.g., does an employer have the right to search and employee's vehicle?

Locations matter. I see a difference between inside a building / venue and the parking lot.
If it is a parking structure - and open to the public vs pay (or have a card/sticker) to use.

my favorite lawyer answer is.... "it depends"

lol
LOL, I had an entry level engineer that I was trying to mentor that out of him. I told him that he better have a coherent response if he says that to a client because the next question will be "what does it depend on?".

There is also the question of whether a vehicle is private property in and of itself - e.g., does an employer have the right to search and employee's vehicle?
This is the real question here. Many companies claim the right to search personal property. It would be interesting to learn more about this question...

This is the real question here. Many companies claim the right to search personal property. It would be interesting to learn more about this question...
What would happen if I closed up reusable shopping bags and tried to exit Costco (past the receipt checkers, while refusing to open them? Will they attempt to detain me? Are they allowed to look through my personal belongings without my permission?

What would happen if I closed up reusable shopping bags and tried to exit Costco (past the receipt checkers, while refusing to open them? Will they attempt to detain me? Are they allowed to look through my personal belongings without my permission?
"it depends".... :p
honestly I dont know. Ive always wondered what rights we have to not be detained by mall cops or store security personel?
I suspect your rights come down to probable cause. The store, or your company, if they have enough probable cause can do what they want as long as it turns out to be true....
Its when its not true you can sue them and win.

Private property is not private. It is governd by the government and falls under the same laws. Not to mention you have to pay a fee to the government for 'your' private property

Private property is not private. It is governd by the government and falls under the same laws. Not to mention you have to pay a fee to the government for 'your' private property
Only if taxes are collected on said private/personal property items :rolleyes:
Which is... pretty much everyhing subject to sales taxes, or "excise" taxes. I don't pay property taxes outright, but its most likely figured into the rent amount anyways. Oregon doesn't yet have a sales tax soo a lot of things can be bought "tax free" if they don't fall under liquor, property, "luxury" (vehicles) or something like that.

Private property is private property.

To answer the question, in general, yes, a private property owner can ban firearms on his/her property.

There may be exceptions for "public venues".

Public venues are a whole other trick bag. If a public venue is under lease, the leaser has the same rights to restrict firearms as a property owner while the lease is in effect. That's how sports leagues can ban guns at venues that are publicly funded.

Costco is a unique situation because the membership agreement every member signs does authorize them to check your purchases against your receipt

• Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, or other bag, upon entering or leaving the warehouse and to refuse entry to anyone at our discretion.

Public venues are a whole other trick bag. If a public venue is under lease, the leaser has the same rights to restrict firearms as a property owner while the lease is in effect. That's how sports leagues can ban guns at venues that are publicly funded.
They way I see it, if you run a business that's open to the general public (like a store front) and you ban "weapons" then YOU are responsible for everyone's safety who are inside your establishment UNLESS you prominently post a disclaimer of "enter at your own risk"…. otherwise they can STFU and take my money.

Besides concealed is concealed.

Last Edited:
They way I see it, if you run a business that's open to the general public (like a store front) and you ban "weapons" then YOU are responsible for everyone's safety who is inside your establishment UNLESS you prominently post a disclaimer of "enter at your own risk"…. otherwise they can STFU and take my money.

Besides concealed is concealed.
Agreed.

Metal detectors though....

ive been willing to compromise with being "trespassed" but my rant begins when they pass signage laws that make us criminally liable for ignoring.

These people take no responsibility for their own safety and because they are scared of guns they want to force their phobia onto everyone else to justify their fear.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top