JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's nice and all, but those numbers are irrelevant. Firearms sales did not increase because more people bought firearms. They increased because the same people that already owned firearms bought more of them. In many cases people bought and horded guns hoping they would be restricted and the value would go up.

I myself bought several guns that I would not normally have bought due to a fear that I might not be able to get them later.

Yes, people hoarded, but also from the gun shop owners that I know, they said there were first time buyers. I don't know or ever met a person who where dumping their firearms. Only dumping I know of, is when the husband died and wife dumps them. I believe there was a increase, the question would be, "How much?"

Just had a call from one of those poll organizations - hung up the phone. I've often wondered if the poll results are skewed because people like us don't participate in nosy polls.

INteresting, If you look at all the online sites and watch stores - guns seem to be flying out.
Lots of private sales.
I wonder if this reflects more back east? Just interesting the number of places from back east ( PArticularly Florida) that put items up for sale on auction sites.

Well if this is true then who are them goobers standing at the gun counter talking about how such and such model handgun are just like on this video or that video game. I have in the last 6 months stood next to maybe a dozen people from 18 year olds to middle aged house wives buying their first firearms at either a gun show or shop.

All it would take to come up with the silly statistic's they are using here is to open the Portland/Eugene/Seattle/Chicago/etc phone book and start calling people in high rise apt type addresses. You get the results you want bchoosingng where you take your sample.

If you came to my door and asked the question I would tell you the same thing I tell the religion peddlers. I do not discuss the subject.

That's nice and all, but those numbers are irrelevant. Firearms sales did not increase because more people bought firearms. They increased because the same people that already owned firearms bought more of them. In many cases people bought and horded guns hoping they would be restricted and the value would go up.

I myself bought several guns that I would not normally have bought due to a fear that I might not be able to get them later.

Uh First Time Gun Buyers swarmed my favorite Fun Shops and the Hunter Education & Firearms Safety/CCW clases are swamped with 2005 Toyota Prius length wait lists to get in and this is in Californa so no .

The Left is next going to tell us The GOP is the real Anti-2A Party ...

It works out that way. Was it planned? Bush's tax cuts and the GOP push to de-regulate Wall Street crimes led to the collapse of the economy politely called "the Great Recession." Millions of hard working Americans lost their jobs and their homes---and had to sell their guns for food. That's all courtesy of the Right; the Left fought against all of it.........................elsullo

Just had a call from one of those poll organizations - hung up the phone. I've often wondered if the poll results are skewed because people like us don't participate in nosy polls.

People who do not have phones do not get polled. People who only have cell phones do not get polled. People on the "Do Not Call List" do not get polled. People who do not speak English do not get polled. And people who refuse to give personal information to strange callers do not get polled!

Yep, don't trust polls, especially from biased organizations, and especially polls that are obviously unrealistic. The NICS numbers do not lie---LOTS of guns getting bought by new gun owners out there. More power to 'em!...........................elsullo

Anybody here pause to look up some data before posting?
I mean, like PlayboyPenguin said, it's about ownership, not sales. If you don't understand the difference then perhaps it's best to keep quiet.

Gallup:
Gun Ownership and Use in America
A 1% change in household ownership from 2000 to 2005, rising from 41% to 42%. Probably statistically insignificant.

The past five years, who knows, the graph linked in the OP could be right, since it comports with the slight rise in the 2000-2005 timeframe that Gallup covers.

The fact is, the General Social Survey quoted in the article is a massive longitudinal study carried out by heavyweights, not by some partisan hacks. So you can "disagree" with it all you like, but pithy anecdotes about what you saw and heard are not merely irrelevant, they're ridiculous by comparison.
<broken link removed>

It makes no difference. Until a Constitutional Convention or 2/3 of both houses of Congress abolish 2A, and it's then ratified by 3/4 of the states, our right to ownership stands.

People who do not have phones do not get polled. People who only have cell phones do not get polled. People on the "Do Not Call List" do not get polled. People who do not speak English do not get polled. And people who refuse to give personal information to strange callers do not get polled!

Yep, don't trust polls, especially from biased organizations, and especially polls that are obviously unrealistic. The NICS numbers do not lie---LOTS of guns getting bought by new gun owners out there. More power to 'em!...........................elsullo

I couldnt agree more.

Yea that Gallup poll is something the last paragraph is the tell

*Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,012 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted Oct. 13-16, 2005. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±3 percentage points.

For results based on the sample of 305 adults who personally own a gun, the maximum margin of sampling error is ±6 percentage points.

For results based on the sample of 579 adults who personally own a gun, conducted Aug. 29-Sept. 5, 2000, and Oct. 13-16, 2005, the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points.

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

As said above this was a telephone poll and by 2005 almost everyone in my family was not using a land line. Nor I would guess a huge part of the population. It’s widely quoted that 25 percent of U.S. households no longer have landlines and that is households so take 288.4 million people divided by 2.9 people (the size of the average household) and you get 99.5 million house holds 99.5 million household that were not part of the sample

In 2005, United States had a household population of 288.4 million - 147.1 million (51 percent) females and 141.3 million (49 percent) males. The median age was 36.4 years. Twenty-five percent of the population were under 18 years and 12 percent were 65 years and older.

so out of 288.4 million - 25% (to remove the kiddies) = 216.375 million people that could be firearms owners. And they talked to 1012 people!!!! thats only 0.00046% and they come up with a 3% margin of error. Bubblegum
if they called even a few more people in a big city then rural the results would have to be all screwed up.

Anybody here pause to look up some data before posting?
I mean, like PlayboyPenguin said, it's about ownership, not sales. If you don't understand the difference then perhaps it's best to keep quiet.

Gallup:
Gun Ownership and Use in America
A 1% change in household ownership from 2000 to 2005, rising from 41% to 42%. Probably statistically insignificant.

The past five years, who knows, the graph linked in the OP could be right, since it comports with the slight rise in the 2000-2005 timeframe that Gallup covers.

The fact is, the General Social Survey quoted in the article is a massive longitudinal study carried out by heavyweights, not by some partisan hacks. So you can "disagree" with it all you like, but pithy anecdotes about what you saw and heard are not merely irrelevant, they're ridiculous by comparison.
<broken link removed>

It makes no difference. Until a Constitutional Convention or 2/3 of both houses of Congress abolish 2A, and it's then ratified by 3/4 of the states, our right to ownership stands.

Well since you want to make this fact based then I ask did you actually look at the GSS poll that this analysis was gleaned from. I only ask since you marginalised my answer as insignificant but my guess is you rellied on the article alone as your sole source? Yes, no?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top