JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay so this thread is Medic!'s fault. :D

The Gun Nerd thread is for a fun look at guns , their details , history etc...
Explaining just why that particular firearm shouldn't be in that movie or book , due to the time period of the story.
Why some super cool rifle shot from a movie would just about be impossible etc ...
Any gun faux pas that we commonly see , like the hammer click noise we sometimes hear when our hero draws a Glock and points it at a bad guy in the movies ...
Or those "You know you are gun nerd when... " type stories.

I'd like to keep this a lighthearted thread.
And as always pictures and videos are encouraged to be shared.
Andy

Last Edited:
Here is a one to start.
It is a Royland Southgate Long Rifle.
.38 caliber , percussion lock , plain maple full stock.
Barrel length is 38 inches and signed script on the top flat "Royland Southgate" also it is number 86.
The lock is marked "R. Southgate."
Brass Horse head Patch box cover over a grease hole and the patch box.
Hex marks are on the muzzle.
It weighs in around 7 pounds.

Southgate was a 20th century gun maker from Tennessee. He made about 1000 guns , mostly rifles and mostly rifles of the same pattern.
The rifles were made by him "Lock , Stock and Barrel."
Meaning that all the parts were hand made by him.
The barrel is hand rifled as well.
Southgate was active from the late 1940's through the 1970's.
My rifle was made in 1950.

I have used this rifle for hunting , shooting in competition , and at "Civil War" reenactment events.
I have been called out by CW reenactors for using this rifle as a civilian piece in my role as a Southern Hunter caught up in the war or a more fun role as a spy.

The gun nerd in me crops up when I explain ( in great detail ) that my rifle was made just as the originals were and made in Tennessee.
Also explaining that it is unlikely that as a civilian I would have (for the time period) a current military firearm.
( which is what most of the nay sayers wanted me to use )
Then I usually ask : Where were your guns made ? And How?" :p :D
Andy DSC06026.jpg DSC06027.jpg DSC06030.jpg DSC06028.jpg

Last Edited:
In the vein of the Glock hammer noise, in an episode of the Walking Dead our intrepid hero Rick hands over his beloved Python to Andrea so that she might use it to do herself in after having become an appetizer for a
zombie. After bidding her adieu, he leaves her behind a closed door and we hear the shot...followed by the sound of the brass hitting the floor as it is ejected from the revolver.

Good catch!
That must be the ultra rare custom deluxe Python with the auto eject feature. :D
I do like the safe gun handling practices I have seen on that show.
Andy

Last Edited:
The first gun. ''The making of a gun nerd''.

Long before I was born. My Father had this gun.
A little .22 revolver he picked up when he was still a young man.

It was the first gun I ever saw. :eek:

Dad bought me a 67 Winchester .22 when I was five or six. And taught me the basics.
But I always had my eye on his .22 revolver. :D

After years of getting to shoot it. I finally just ''Made it mine'' somewhere around age 11.
He never gave it to me per say. I just sorta adopted it for keeps. ;)

Always on my side in a 1942 WWII belt and 1911 holster. I carried that gun afield whenever I was afield.
And on the remote farm where I was raised. That was literally every day.

I shot that gun until I wore it out! Then I welded up the worn little lifting pawl with some more metal. Filed it to shape. And wore it out again! [ Hey...I was a farm kid. I could weld at 12].

In time. And as the song goes.

''A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant's rings make way for other toys''.

I grew up. Discovered girls. And lost track of the little gun.

Them one day. As fortune would have it. [ nearly 25 years later] A friend asked me If I wanted this old gun back?
I did not remember giving it away. Or even leaving it behind?
But none the less it found it's way back to me. And chose me as it's caretaker once again.

The poor thing was worn to bits.
Not only did it have the old damaged parts I endowed it with. But the pin through the hammer was now a threaded bolt!

I tell you guys it was crap.:(

But not now. :s0155:
I bought all new internals, pins and springs. And fitted it back from the grave.

The finish is worn and all but gone.
Just like my Father is now to me.

But In it I see something we did together.
The love between Father and Son. Right there in a little worn gun.

DSCN4912.JPG

You know you're a gun nerd when you turn a 10 second question into an hour long discussion about the Galil. o_O This happened at a gun show and noticed a Springfield SAR-4800 and asked the guy about it, and then he noticed the IWI zipper pull. To which he commented about saying I have a tavor (I don't), but I told him I have a Galil Ace. He didn't know that IWI made the rifle, and that IWI used to be the small arms department of IMI. I ended up talking about the Galil, how it came about, some of the different variants, etc. o_O

Only been into guns after high school, and while the stuff I know pails in comparison to the stuff I don't know, I do often get surprised whenever I say something and the other person didn't know about it until I mentioned it. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top