JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's good they took the firearm for testing - if it's fully functional, then the discharge by officer is a negligent one, not accidental.

It's good they took the firearm for testing - if it's fully functional, then the discharge by officer is a negligent one, not accidental.

Maybe they are testing to see if it was converted to fully automatic. At the rate of failing to open a cylinder and instead pull the trigger I wouldn't doubt it.

This is yet another reason if im pulled over that I will opt not to surrender my weapon.
The handling and transition from one hand to another only increases the statistic that something may happen accidentally.

Not only that but far and few are even trained on a quarter of what i may own. Ive seen a leo fumble around with a firearm with his little butter fingers and muzzle sweep half the room. My ever growing lack of faith, trust and confidence in our leos and gov lapdogs is disturbing.

Surrender your weapon, have it accidentally discharged by an officer and get arrested with a trumped up charge so the leo can save face. Utterly ridiculous.

I plan to. I have neither read nor heard that i cannot record them while pulled over. I assume its the same as when i walk up and strike up a conversation. However i see no downside unless they are just afraid that they'll actually be accountable!

I thought i read somewhere there is an app on black berries or androids where right before the phone or camera is shut off it will text or email of the recording?
That and a lock on my android should be fun.
I could go low tech and just call a voicemail and leave a long message, if there was no cutoff.

I plan to. I have neither read nor heard that i cannot record them while pulled over. I assume its the same as when i walk up and strike up a conversation. However i see no downside unless they are just afraid that they'll actually be accountable!

Wiretapping laws are a bit more straightforward, you can easily double check on those. But your refusal to surrender a firearm might lead to a bit of a drama with some jumpy cops. It's always best (unless your life depends on it) to comply with orders from the law enforcement and set them straight later through the civil rights lawyers :)

Nope fd15k I am not. However I just searched ALL of the current ORS and I didn't see anything there that would pertain to allowing a LEO to seize your weapon without reasonable suspicion of a crime committed.

(Full auto)
(Carrying concealed without a chl)
(Federal buildings)

The app is from the ACLU and it even automatically uploads the video in cases of the police officers attempting to destroy the device and thus the evidence.

Nope fd15k I am not. However I just searched ALL of the current ORS and I didn't see anything there that would pertain to allowing a LEO to seize your weapon without reasonable suspicion of a crime committed.

(Full auto)
(Carrying concealed without a chl)
(Federal buildings)

The app is from the ACLU and it even automatically uploads the video in cases of the police officers attempting to destroy the device and thus the evidence.

It's a thing called "case law." Precedent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no Oregon Revised Statute that says you have to surrender your weapon. There's also nothing prohibiting an officer from doing so, and a supreme court case or five that expressly grant the authority to do so to police officers conducting lawful traffic stops.

Don't get me wrong- I don't support it. But it's the law of the land. Understand that, before you refuse a lawful order to surrender your weapon.

It's a thing called "case law." Precedent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no Oregon Revised Statute that says you have to surrender your weapon. There's also nothing prohibiting an officer from doing so, and a supreme court case or five that expressly grant the authority to do so to police officers conducting lawful traffic stops.

The 4th amendment will protect you from any officer removing your sidearm.

However, I can see where it won't during a traffic stop. As you are suspected to have broken a law. Otherwise you wouldn't have been pulled over.

That is why I'd rather not surrender my weapon when pulled over. Cops are people, people are idiots. Some idiot cop would discharge it even after being warned there was one in the chamber and then I would be in trouble for it, sitting on the evening news. My philosophy is once it goes in the IWB holster it stays there until I get home, period (unless an incident/threat/perp).

When a friend says 'can I see it' he gets a NO. Wait until I am home and have cleared it, safety checked, then yes. Handing a cop a loaded firearm just would make me nervous.

The officer who attempted to unload the gun needs to attend a remedial firearms handling course. There should be stiffer consequences but I don't see that happening.

That is why I'd rather not surrender my weapon when pulled over. Cops are people, people are idiots. Some idiot cop would discharge it even after being warned there was one in the chamber and then I would be in trouble for it, sitting on the evening news. My philosophy is once it goes in the IWB holster it stays there until I get home, period (unless an incident/threat/perp).

When a friend says 'can I see it' he gets a NO. Wait until I am home and have cleared it, safety checked, then yes. Handing a cop a loaded firearm just would make me nervous.

Not sure why people started making that connection, but the person got charged because they did something stupid. In fact I am surprised no federal law was brought up. Gun discharging has nothing to do with the charges. And yes, I have heard of a number of similar airport cases before, no guns got discharged there...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top