JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should be able to send pdfs to the office coordinator per the agenda instructions. [email protected]

BSG 75 had good instructions in this post in another thread.

To summarize, steps to send testimony to the Senate Judiciary committee for this hearing:

1. Write up your testimony and save the document as a PDF. Only address the bills being discussed in the hearing: SB347, SB699, SB700, SB796

2. Email the document to the committee staffer listed at the top of the agenda, in this case [email protected]

3. Put the bills and committee name in the subject line of your email (like "Testimony regarding Senate Judiciary Hearing of 5 April 2013 on SB347, SB699, SB700, SB796")

4. Put the name of the person testifying in the body of the email

5. Put the committee meeting date in the body of the email

For more info, see this <broken link removed> and this page about the hearing.

Your testimony becomes part of the legislature's public record for the bill.

While those bills will be "heard", no action will be taken on them until April 10. That means there is still plenty of time to make your voice heard. The swing vote on that committee is Senator Arnie Roblan who is a reliable pro-gun vote, but who is being pummeled by his Democrat colleagues to vote for more gun restrictions. A note to him could make all the difference in this battle.

[email protected]
503-986-1705

I went to the hearing today but I didn't get to testify.

Here's a tip: if you ever go to the capitol, bring a roll of quarters. All of the parking around the capitol uses parking meters. I had to drive around until I found a Safeway where I could buy a roll of quarters, and I used most of them.

When I finally found the hearing room there was a long line of people waiting to sign up to testify. The line snaked down the hallway quite a way. I noticed a lot of people wearing big "Yes on 347" and "Yes on 700" buttons. It seems they were all school employees of various types, including school board members and teachers.

Before I got to the sign-up table a state trooper informed us the meeting room was full and we would go to overflow room C upstairs. After I signed in to testify I went up to room C and another trooper told me that room was full and I had to go to another overflow room. The overflow room had two big screens and good sound so it wasn't bad.

I ended up sitting next to a guy who had been in front of me in line. He was also there to testify against. When someone testifying said something really stupid we would shake our heads, face palm, and whisper about how wrong they were. The woman sitting next to me must have been an anti because she seemed annoyed. She was also wiping away tears when the family members of the Clackamas shooting victim Cindy Yuille testified.

It was really striking how many people testifying started off with "I've been a gun owner my whole life. I'm a NRA member. I have a CHL, and I support these bills". There were several of them. It had an impact because you had the anti-gun people supporting the bills, and several gun owners and NRA members supporting the bills, so it seemed like the only people opposed were the "fringe" that Ginny Burdick talks about.

Several senators came in from time to time after their own meetings were done to testify. All were opposed to the bills.

The guy sitting next to me got named to be "on deck" so he left the room and then he testified. I heard them call a name that sounded like mine so I ran down to the hearing room. I wasn't sure if they had called my name. An aide came over and checked his list. They had called someone with a similar name. I looked for my name on his list but I didn't see it. He said they were going to have me on later (like a "scheduling conflict"). Since the hearing room had emptied a little I stayed in the hearing room instead of going back to the overflow room. I waited and checked the time and saw that it was already past noon. Eventually Sen Prozanski called the last panel up - all gun owners who supported the bills, including the brother-in-law of a Clackamas victim Steven Forsyth. And then it was over.

I was disappointed that I didn't get to testify, even though I had already submitted written testimony. I visited the 12th Street Gun Shop so I didn't feel like I had completely wasted my time and gasoline.

Anyway, you still have until April 8 to submit written testimony, and everyone really should. It is more important than emailing your representatives at this point. If the bills get voted down in committee they are dead.

Write something up, then convert it to .pdf format. You can use PDFLite - PDF Viewer and ConverterPDFlite | Free PDF Reader and PDF Converter to convert a Microsoft Word document to .pdf. Then email your testimony in as an attachment to your email to [email protected]

Include the following in your email

10. In addition to my testimony, what information should I include in my email? Back to top

In the email subject line, please identify the bill number and the name of the committee holding the meeting. In the body of the email, include:

Name of person who is testifying,
Meeting date,
and
Topic, if not related to a bill (e.g., for an informational meeting).

If you aren't sure what to write, read what others have written https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Committees/SJUD/2013-04-05-08-30/MeetingMaterials

Good guy just commented how the range test bill disenfranchises the poor and those (like me) who do not have a qualifying range within driving distance.

Cuban immigrant now speaking about freedom.

finished with his testimony about 95% of the people on the second floor (where I was) stood up and cheered and applauded his excellant remarks. This man was a very strong advocate for freedom and the 2nd Amendment.

He specifically stated that the Markist's masquerading as Democrates took over Cuba in the late 50's and murdered, tortured, shot mothers, their children, raped, threatened and deprved the civilians so the Gov't had the guns. He pointed at the committee that they do no know what freedom is untill tyou loose it. He told them not to give up on the 2A as so many of the "educators" were promoting across all the issues (funny the pompous educators were so ignorant and uneducated about the issues).

While those bills will be "heard", no action will be taken on them until April 10. That means there is still plenty of time to make your voice heard. The swing vote on that committee is Senator Arnie Roblan who is a reliable pro-gun vote, but who is being pummeled by his Democrat colleagues to vote for more gun restrictions. A note to him could make all the difference in this battle.

[email protected]
503-986-1705
Note sent

It was really striking how many people testifying started off with "I've been a gun owner my whole life. I'm a NRA member. I have a CHL, and I support these bills". There were several of them. It had an impact because you had the anti-gun people supporting the bills, and several gun owners and NRA members supporting the bills, so it seemed like the only people opposed were the "fringe" that Ginny Burdick talks about.

This is very troubling - both the for and against. The gun owners who testified - did you feel that they were truthful about being gun owners, having CHL's, and being NRA members?

This is very troubling - both the for and against. The gun owners who testified - did you feel that they were truthful about being gun owners, having CHL's, and being NRA members?

I am a clinical and forensic psychologist who evaluates many of the criminal and mentally ill criminal types that committ all sorts of crimes including gun crimes. I interview and assess many of these defendants and may focus on issues of malingering and feigning, faking and truthfulness. I was certain that several of the alleged NRA members, CHL types were providing false testimony and they were clearly fakes. You have to anticipate that people are "planted" to testify and influence the committee, and I would hope the committee members saw through the actors and could discern those that were truthful and not deceitful. Those folks that were there and stayed througout the committee meeting and hearing may have noted that there were distinct personailty differences between the the progun vs antigun types. Some easy variables to discriminate gun preferences within this context would include "strength, courage, weakness, fearfulness, intimidation, independence of thought, and autonomy vs. dependence". Some of the more striking difference came from the educator types wjo were clearly clueless about the evil that some criminals and mentally ill criminal types can "routinely" do without a care in the world.

I am a clinical and forensic psychologist who evaluates many of the criminal and mentally ill criminal types that committ all sorts of crimes including gun crimes. I interview and assess many of these defendants and may focus on issues of malingering and feigning, faking and truthfulness. I was certain that several of the alleged NRA members, CHL types were providing false testimony and they were clearly fakes. You have to anticipate that people are "planted" to testify and influence the committee, and I would hope the committee members saw through the actors and could discern those that were truthful and not deceitful. Those folks that were there and stayed througout the committee meeting and hearing may have noted that there were distinct personailty differences between the the progun vs antigun types. Some easy variables to discriminate gun preferences within this context would include "strength, courage, weakness, fearfulness, intimidation, independence of thought, and autonomy vs. dependence". Some of the more striking difference came from the educator types wjo were clearly clueless about the evil that some criminals and mentally ill criminal types can "routinely" do without a care in the world.

I definitely questioned some of the "chl carrying gun owners" who supported bills that limited something they jumped through extra hoops to aquire. I am curious if it is a crime to misrepresent yourself or lie "on the record" during committee meetings?

I definitely questioned some of the "chl carrying gun owners" who supported bills that limited something they jumped through extra hoops to aquire. I am curious if it is a crime to misrepresent yourself or lie "on the record" during committee meetings?

It is possible that there may be some ethical violations professionally or as a government employee or elected official if data was intentionally misrepresented and testified at a hearing. If I recall there was a very sharp man, I think from Salem, who did catch some one in an outright lie or misrepresentation of statistics. I think someone testified that there were 2700 "accidential deaths" caused by the gun last year or recently, etc. The man who testified had the data before him, and the data was an umbrella statistic involving accidentla deaths in the work place and where ever accidents occured. If I recall correctly the actual accidential gun deaths last year was less than 70. He was a very sharp tack. He challenged the committee to have those that testify to have those that testified prove their statements and source of data.

CC records are not public record. But for those gun-control advocates that claimed they were NRA members, don't we hear their names? Would it be possible to check their names against the NRA membership list? If you find 2-3 liars , it would hurt their cause tremendously!

In the future, maybe the CHL holders should hold up their licenses when making that claim and draw a point to it. Makes those who don't seem less genuine.

It is possible that there may be some ethical violations professionally or as a government employee or elected official if data was intentionally misrepresented and testified at a hearing. If I recall there was a very sharp man, I think from Salem, who did catch some one in an outright lie or misrepresentation of statistics. I think someone testified that there were 2700 "accidential deaths" caused by the gun last year or recently, etc. The man who testified had the data before him, and the data was an umbrella statistic involving accidentla deaths in the work place and where ever accidents occured. If I recall correctly the actual accidential gun deaths last year was less than 70. He was a very sharp tack. He challenged the committee to have those that testify to have those that testified prove their statements and source of data.

The accidental gun deaths were >9 and the intentional gun deaths were 67 I think. I sat next to him while he gave his testimony and spied on his paper. I don't know him, but I remember his name and can PM it to you if you like.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top