JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just recently acquired a WWI era firearm, and I'm in need of some place that can give me a value on it. I live on the coast, so I don't want to drive 4 hours to have an appraisal for it. Just somebody in the west side of PDX/Beaverton. I got a local gunsmith to look at it today, and he gave me a low four figure number for it. Which excited me, but at the same time seemed unrealistic. So, I definitely want another opinion.

I saw in a search that Jack the Dog was recommended, but their website hasn't been updated since 2011. So, please help me, thank you.

I'm not wanting to throw that info out, just yet. I asked about the value of a gun once already, and my PM box got so loaded with offers, that I had to leave the site for a while. And let it calm down. I hope you all understand?

If it was me, I would do a concentrated search on the internet first, learning everything I could about it, then look on the auction sites for comparative values, and then join a couple of internet sites that cater to that specific firearm for a final appraisal.

I am in the middle of a Winchester Trench Gun project, and I learned more about my gun from a book that I bought off of eBay for $12.00 than all of the internet searching that I did.

I know that the internet is full of stuff. But right now, I've got many offers on it. I've talked to coworkers that are into firearms, and a local gunsmith, and a good friend. I've been given a low, medium and a high price on this gun. I don't know who to believe. My head is spinning so bad I don't which way is up.

I am at a point I want to just get a appraisal and I think I'd be fine with that. Heck, a co-worker offered me a AK74 with 2000 rounds for it.

I still got a few contacts out there, so only time will tell. Alot of people are telling me to just keep it and pass it on to my kids.

An AK for trade and you're getting excited? lolz
I think they call the internet the information superhighway.. it's up to you to navigate it. or not
That's code for finding a kind good and its selling price. Ask more as you can always come down and you don't need to buy a new pair of shoes.

I'm not getting excited for a AK, just saying my co-worker is excited that he is willing to trade me a AK and ammo. Because he doesn't have cash to buy it outright. I personally dislike AK's.

If you're the kind of person that has to leave the site because your PM box got too many messages then you're just asking for trouble by posting here about your firearm. Buck up and drive to speak to a gunsmith. If the rifle is worth what you suspect, it's worth the drive.

What's the hurry.
Part of the fun in owning vintage firearms is doing the research on them, as far as I'm concerned.
It's not like it's going to go down in value in the next month or so.

I've had a dozen PM's already asking me what I have, and why I'm trying to be sneaky about it. I'm not trying to be sneaky about it. I just don't want to advertise what I got.

I'm just looking for some reliable gunsmiths/appraisers that can help me.

I wish I could just spend time and do the research, but I have alot of Dr appointments coming up, and that has me all stressed out, and worried about stuff. So, I'm having to prioritize things. I already have a couple really close friends that really want it, but they are giving me numbers that are so far apart, I probably will just put it up for awhile. It sat in a closet for the last 20 years, I'm thinking that another year won't hurt. And deal with it when I don't have alot on my plate.

But a list of reliable appraisers would help this site.

If you werent playing "I've got a secret" you most likely would have already had your questions answered. Different people specialize in different guns, a Colt SAA expert might not be the best person to give you an appraisal on a High Point.

"I wish I could just spend time and do the research, but I have a lot of Dr appointments coming up, and that has me all stressed out, and worried about stuff."

Let me guess, do your Dr. appointments involve laying on a couch.

They have whole sites dedicated to x guns.. Lugers, you name it, pretty much so one can peg/fix an approximate value on the gun via current/present auctions etc.
It's not super complicated but in the final analysis, it's worth what it sells for and you can always lower the price if no bites.
It's not like it's a house where a geologic study needs conducting, for heavens sake, it'll have a name/model, serial # (usually) and other markings etc.
This just seems like an odd thread from another, prior, odd thread.
I think the gun is cursed and you should just give it away before it drives you crazy.

It takes a lot of reasearch to place values on old firearms. 1st priority is to be sure you have what you think you have. I have seen LOTS of WW1 era firearms the owners thought were "original". You need to find books(not just one) on your firearm. Sit down and go over each part of the firearm. This will take time, but once you have inspected each part, then you can make a judgment on value. If you took this firearm to be appraised, and they told you the value without a through inspection, this estimation is worthless.

You can always start with the Blue Book!!

BINGO!
Buy a gun value book. If this unicorn is that valuable to keep so quiet, I wouldn't go to a gun forum and say... "I have a gun, Whats it worth",..."Uh no I wont provide pictures, Info or a description."

I don't really see what your going to accomplish. Waddle down to Tillamook sporting goods and buy a gun Blue book.

And really a gun In the "low four figures".... Really? BFD. There is a good chance more than one member has one.

Four figures aint much in the gun world anymore.... There's a guy trying to sell a 10-22 in the local shopper for 1100, hopefully it's got some aftermarket parts

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top