JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you fry your grilled cheese with

• Total voters
Didn't read the entire thread. But I gotta say...

Anybody that would fry a grilled cheese sammie coated with mayo probably eats chunk light tuna sammies too. <Blechhhhhhhh> ;)

My father put mayo on his grilled cheese. I like thinly sliced ham and tomato with cheese and buttered bread toasted golden brown. I can live without the mayo, but it is good if you don't mind an additional 60 calories of mono saturated fat.

And if worse comes to worse...You can always wrap some cheddar up in a tortilla and
microwave it...:rolleyes:
That, my friend, is a quesadilla.....

I am a butter guy. Butter one side of both pieces of bread, slap a couple of those cheap arsed cheese slices between the two. Place on the frying pan and toast until nice and crunchy on the outside then flip and make sure some of the cheese melts down the side of the crust onto the pan and burns itself into a tasty little charred chunk of love. Splash some cheese puffs on the plate and down it with a heavy IPA. Oh my.....

I have something against mayo. Other than the items that must have it (potato/mac salad, probably something else, and food from restaurants), I really don't like the stuff. If theres too much even on the things I listed, I'll either remove it, or not eat the food. Now mustard....it can go on anything....almost.

Toasted cheese?
Good ole American Singles. In-between a layer of small curd cottage cheese with a sprinkle of fine ground pepper.

On the outside, Garlic Butter ;)

Not exactly grilled cheese, but a tasty variation concocted by Mom when I was a pup.

Toast a couple slices of bread in the toaster while heating up the broiler/oven.
Squirt some ketchup on the toasted bread, layer with your favorite cheese (Tillamook), season with garlic powder, basil, and oregano on top of cheese.
Slip into oven, (on the top rack), and broil until cheese is bubbly.

Eat as a sammich or open faced, don't burn the roof of your mouth!

After reading all this I'm not sure if I'm hungry or nauseous!

We use butter on the bread to do GCS. And as far a cheddar goes, there's only one cheddar in this house, Tillamook medium 2# blocks. Preferably outdated by a month or three. Even more is fine as long as the wrapping hasn't failed. And occasionally Tilly sharp/extra sharp if it's on a good ad. At any given time we can have up to 5 different cheeses in our fridge(s).

I don't know about using that "Pasteurized, Processed, cheese food" like substance for grilled cheese though. However, we always have some in the fridge for things like leftover fried perch sandwiches. Or what I call "Dumb" sandwiches because all they are is bread, mustard/mayo, meat, Kraft single, nothing else. "Dumb". Those creepy singles seem to last forever, creepy. I don't ever remember throwing any out. Even after MONTHS! We also do ham and cheese grilled, with a little mayo against cheese and mustard against ham.

Grilled cheese?
I just do the tuna melt.
Tuna
MW
Dill weed
Relish
Cheese
Butter on the outside

What kind of tuna?
Fresh Ahi
Stale Ahi
Canned whole white Albacore (I scored some seasoned in olive oil yesterday, can't wait to try it!)
Chunk light tuna... otherwise known as: "cat food". :p;):)

After reading all this I'm not sure if I'm hungry or nauseous!

We use butter on the bread to do GCS. And as far a cheddar goes, there's only one cheddar in this house, Tillamook medium 2# blocks. Preferably outdated by a month or three. Even more is fine as long as the wrapping hasn't failed. And occasionally Tilly sharp/extra sharp if it's on a good ad. At any given time we can have up to 5 different cheeses in our fridge(s).

I don't know about using that "Pasteurized, Processed, cheese food" like substance for grilled cheese though. However, we always have some in the fridge for things like leftover fried perch sandwiches. Or what I call "Dumb" sandwiches because all they are is bread, mustard/mayo, meat, Kraft single, nothing else. "Dumb". Those creepy singles seem to last forever, creepy. I don't ever remember throwing any out. Even after MONTHS! We also do ham and cheese grilled, with a little mayo against cheese and mustard against ham.

My wife is a cheesoholic... we always have real cheddar in the house. She has it for lunch with an apple. When Tillamook sharp or extra sharp is on sale it's "SCORE!!!" No limp American cheese on our GC sammies!!!

Haven't had American slices since I was a kid. The best friend family always had them around and whenever we got hungry we had a slice between two pieces of white bread. Wow... that's kinda like eating Twinkies for fat and carbs! lol

What kind of tuna?

Life is too short, and the good stuff isn't that much more expensive than the stuff they scrape of the packing house floors, can, and call "chunk" tuna. Kirkland 7 oz cans. I'd probably quit eating tuna if I couldn't have Kirkland.

o o o

My wife is a cheesoholic... we always have real cheddar in the house. She has it for lunch with an apple. When Tillamook sharp or extra sharp is on sale it's "SCORE!!!" No limp American cheese on our GC sammies!!!

Haven't had American slices since I was a kid. The best friend family always had them around and whenever we got hungry we had a slice between two pieces of white bread. Wow... that's kinda like eating Twinkies for fat and carbs! lol

I agree. Synthetic cheese is nasty.
Go Tillamook or go home!

GC has one layer of Tillamook cheddar and one layer of pepper jack grilled on whole grain bread with real butter on the outside to brown it up nicely.

An additional treat we like is to upgrade to a grilled ABC sammich.
Apple, Bacon and Cheese !

Life is too short, and the good stuff isn't that much more expensive than the stuff they scrape of the packing house floors, can, and call "chunk" tuna. Kirkland 7 oz cans. I'd probably quit eating tuna if I couldn't have Kirkland.

LOL

We used to buy fresh Yellowtail off the commercial fleet when we lived in Brookings... you had to have an order in ahead of time because the commercial dock and packing house were mobbed by people when the fleet came in. The first time, we brought a few tuna home and tried to process it ourselves... yikes! It is very bony and the side bones are where a strip of dark meat is present. It's very strong flavored and we threw it out. Since processing was so much work, we started paying a pro at the packing plant a nickle a pound... easy peasy. They threw tha dark meat out too. Maybe. Who knows what they really did with it! ;):D

Mayo? I've never heard of doing that way before. I grew up frying my grilled cheese in butter, but I've developed my own way. I spread butter on the bread, but then I also put a couple dabs of usually olive oil in the pan. The butter gives it that delicious heart clogging flavor, while the oil makes it nice and evenly crunchy.

Mayo both sides.
Put a slice of cheese on one of the mayo'd halves.
Put a slice of ham/turkey/chicken breast on the other mayo'd half.
Put the 2 halves together.
Butter 1 outer half and put it on the griddle/pan butter side down.
As it is "cooking" butter the other half and wait to flip.
Cook until golden brown.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads