JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, probably won't be a 'next time' and I am short on bible skills so a brief explanation of the conversation at the end of the book of Job would be appreciated!
Can't. It would be considered quoting scripture from the book that cannot be discussed here. The post would be deleted and I would probably get another PM warning.

And to be quite honest, I am not sure how this thread has been allowed to remain unlocked so far. Odd.

Oh, I'd much rather have religious proselytizers coming around than, say, anarchists. The religious lot have their hearts in the right place. I've worked with JW, SDA and LDS, never had any issues. If we got into any discussion about their beliefs, it might've been me asking a question. But that was rare.

If the Mormon boys who are on their mission come around, I invite them in, offer them a soda, talk about the weather or current events. They are kinda like conscripts into the army, doing their time. I don't know that the ones I've met were true firebrands, expecting to make many converts. I figure, also like the army, they are far from home, so I extend a hand of friendship to them in hostile territory.

I'm a believer, but a solitary one. I don't think God cares if you worship by yourself in a cornfield or among thousands in the Crystal Cathedral.

I was being checked out to pilot a Beechcraft Model 18, which is a 10-passenger twin-engine WWII-era airplane with two 450 HP radial engines.
Is that the one where the propellers on both engines rotate in the same direction? I recently read the book 'Indestructible' by John R. Bruning. I think Paul Gunn flew that kind of plane in the early days of WWII. After being forced to move to Australia, his ad-hoc modifications to B-25 Mitchell's originally promised to the Dutch led to the B-25J-2 and B25H gunships that employed low-level strafing and skip bombing of Japanese ships.

From the knife fights and smuggling runs of his youth to his fiery days as a pioneering naval aviator, Paul Irving "Pappy" Gunn played by his own set of rules and always survived on his wits and fists. But when he fell for a conservative Southern belle, her love transformed him from a wild and reckless airman to a cunning entrepreneur whose homespun engineering brilliance helped launch one of the first airlines in Asia.

Pappy was drafted into MacArthur's air force when war came to the Philippines; and while he carried out a top-secret mission to Australia, the Japanese seized his family. Separated from his beloved wife, Polly, and their four children, Pappy reverted to his lawless ways. He carried out rescue missions with an almost suicidal desperation. Even after he was shot down twice and forced to withdraw to Australia, he waged a one-man war against his many enemies -- including the American high command and the Japanese--and fought to return to the Philippines to find his family.

Without adequate planes, supplies, or tactics, the U.S. Army Air Force suffered crushing defeats by the Japanese in the Pacific. Over the course of his three-year quest to find his family, Pappy became the renegade who changed all that. With a brace of pistols and small band of loyal followers, he robbed supply dumps, stole aircraft, invented new weapons, and modified bombers to hit harder, fly farther, and deliver more destruction than anything yet seen in the air. When Pappy's modified planes were finally unleashed during the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, the United States scored one of the most decisive victories of World War II.

Contra-rotation is actually rare on multiengine birds, the only one I remember is the P-38 Lightning. Handed engines require two lines and if you have a busted right engine and your only spare is a left you're boned.

The Lightning ONLY got its special left-handed engine because the torque cancellation was absolutely essential to its performance.

Relevant quote re Pappy, though he was applying it to Gunn's new boss George Kenney at the time...

"In times of peace you need an officer and a gentleman, in times of war you need a rebel and a sonofab--ch."
--Douglas MacArthur, explaining to Kenney why he'd asked for him by name to lead the SWPA air forces despite having almost court-martialed him years before

Dungannon said:

Is that the one where the propellers on both engines rotate in the same direction?

Yes.

Almost all American twin engine aircraft have both engines rotating in the same direction - counterclockwise. Because the propeller on the right wing is descending, and is toward the outboard end of the wing, there is both and increased angle of attack (and consequent "bite" from that part of the propeller arc, and the resulting thrust is pushing hard to turn the airplane toward the left. Because of this, the left engine is called the "critical" engine, since failure of that engine is far more difficult to deal with than failure of the right engine.

When both engines are working properly, this difference in force is counteracted by applying rudder to turn the airplane toward the right. If the left engine is not operating, the rudder force required is just about the maximum available, and if the airplane is allowed to start a left turn, it is very difficult to get it to stop and turn back to the right.

Unless there is a major failure that locks up the internals, the "dead" engine will continue to rotate because the propeller will be driven by the slipstream, causing it to "windmill." Propellers were developed that could be twisted on edge, or "feathered" to prevent this, but very few airplanes with engines less than 1,000 HP were set up to use them until after WWII. Some of the Beech 18-series military aircraft had them, and those propellers were never approved for civilian use.

The airplane I was flying was built for the Army Air Forces as a trainer, and was not equipped with feathering propellers. It was virtually identical to the civilian C-18S the Pappy Gunn flew in the Philippines. For the day, it was a state-of-the-art commuter airliner/corporate aircraft.

One day I was outside washing down my Livingston runabout. My wife calls me on the cell phone to tell me one of our neighbors, a vet, called her to complain about our dog barking and suggested we surgically "Remove His Voice box". I loudly replied, "Call that C_nt back and tell her maybe she should get her t_ts cut off so she won't get breast cancer!!!"
Just at the time I hung up, I turn around to see two JWs standing in my driveway, mouths agape, slackly holding their books.. without missing a beat, I turned on the hose and sprayed an upside down cross on the garage door and ask them if they had any questions.
I've never had another visit either.

Last Edited:
Had a friend who did this once. Looks a bit like a chubby Paulette Perette(spelling? That goth chick from NCIS)
She (yes, "she") had answered the door nude except for a bloody apron from her making some fresh meat products; she asked if they'd like to participate in the weekly goat sacrifice :s0064: she never had them again.

Me... I simply had a sign on my screen door "no Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons".

Had a friend who did this once. Looks a bit like a chubby Paulette Perette(spelling? That goth chick from NCIS)
She (yes, "she") had answered the door nude except for a bloody apron from her making some fresh meat products; she asked if they'd like to participate in the weekly goat sacrifice :s0064: she never had them again.

Me... I simply had a sign on my screen door "no Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons".
Heck I'd probably be willing to dress up as a JoHo and knock on her door just to see that view. :s0115:

A young family of 4 JW's came banging on my door on Memorial Day. They had two children in tow. I hear the knock on the door and I proceed to open it and out of the mans mouth comes "We'd like to pray with you" So not missing a golden opportunity (and before he could draw his next breath) I bowed my head, took the lead, and said "Dear heavenly farther I want to take this moment to raise up our past and present veterans...." I hear them all start to suck wind and that's all she wrote. I didn't even make it to "AMEN". They cleared my porch faster than a kid chasing down an ice cream truck. They stopped down on the sidewalk and the two children sat down and the father began to console his now distraught family. I didn't feel the least bit sorry and from that day forward no JW's ever came to my door again.

AMEN!

Can't. It would be considered quoting scripture from the book that cannot be discussed here. The post would be deleted and I would probably get another PM warning.

And to be quite honest, I am not sure how this thread has been allowed to remain unlocked so far. Odd.
The power of Christ compels you!

I had a grenade named Charger who would patrol the neighborhood from the living room window and loved the "door knocker" game. He would see them coming and go wait in his spot about 8' from the security screen door, which was his signal. As soon as I heard them on the porch I would say "wuzat" and he would hit the screen door like a freight train and scare the holy bubblegumming bubblegum out of them. Then he would jump in my lap and we would have a good laugh.

I guess we're not worried about offending JW gun owners. Interesting what TPTB on this site consider divisive content and what they don't. Don't get near transgenderism, tho. The 0.000001 percent of the gun owning population that's had an addadictomy (to quote the late great Rush Limbaugh) might get triggered and abandon their support of the 2A (Heaven forbid!).

I guess we're not worried about offending JW gun owners. Interesting what TPTB on this site consider divisive content and what they don't. Don't get near transgenderism, tho. The 0.000001 percent of the gun owning population that's had an addadictomy (to quote the late great Rush Limbaugh) might get triggered and abandon their support of the 2A (Heaven forbid!).
Thanks for Farting in church Cavedweller, your right about us offending people. I remember my first time in the barrel here (offensive to fish or gays). I liked it and came back for more fun. If I ever hurt someone's feelings on accident, I will apologize... if done on purpose well then it might take a while:rolleyes:

I once protested the snowflakery by hitting Report on every post I could construe some way for a Butthurt Little B--ch to get a sad in its frilly pink panties about... I wanna say it was about a day or two before I got tired and I got a DM about "you've made your point."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top