JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reading some of the comments reminded me of this skit by Chris Rock. I'm sure most have seen it but it's funny so I'll share anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Damn funny!

I love the part about telling your friend in the car to STFU. In my youth I had a friend mouth off a bunch of times to a cop after I was pulled over (and after I told the friend to STFU). He earned me four tickets. I tossed his *** out at the North Plains exit for that.

Went out to lunch with a crazy friend once, and after leaving the restaurant he reached into one of three Multnomah County Sheriffs patrol cars and stole an officers hat.
I didn't know what he had done until he jumped into my car and yelled "GO! Go! Go!".
Luckily, I knew all of the nearby back roads and managed to elude all three of the sheriffs patrol cars.
Found out afterwards that he put the hat on his head right in front of the window where they had just been seated, and to add insult to injury, he flipped all of them the bird.
Needless to say, I never gave that clown a ride again.

I believe it was Lake Oswego police but I'm not certain. The other threads that were referenced here were about confiscation of weapons and/or volunteering information (handing over CHL with DL or guns in plain sight). I'm wondering if they now have access to CHL records, because I've read many times here that they were two completely different databases. I didn't have a gun in plain sight and I didn't say a word up until he asked me the question.

Also, wouldn't they need a warrant to search my car? How could they disarm me if they don't see a gun in plain sight and I tell them I don't have a gun in the car?

I try to say as little as possible to the police (bad experience years ago) so thanks for the video...

Oh and the "shouldn't have gotten a CHL" comment, LOL. Is there a dislike button?

The LEDS system provides info on All CHL holders - the Officer will know that you have a CHL even before he pulls you over. If you have nothing to hide - and if you are a CHL holder you shouldn't - why be worried ? If you act like an honest person that is the way you will be treated. If you act like an a%%hole then you will receive the appropriate treatment..

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I too was pulled over, the trooper noted that I had a CWP as it slipped out with my DL. I too asked him If I needed to answer that, YES he said. New laws in SC require you to tell the LEO that you have a CWP and whether you are armed. My CWP is the same as my DL except for the ID heading so I'm pretty sure that if they run the tag before approaching you that they know whos potentially packing. I thought that it was only when you are armed that you have to tell. Guess I was misinformed...:rolleyes:

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I too was pulled over, the trooper noted that I had a CWP as it slipped out with my DL. I too asked him If I needed to answer that, YES he said. New laws in SC require you to tell the LEO that you have a CWP and whether you are armed. My CWP is the same as my DL except for the ID heading so I'm pretty sure that if they run the tag before approaching you that they know whos potentially packing. I thought that it was only when you are armed that you have to tell. Guess I was misinformed...:rolleyes:

It is always good to know YOUR state laws along with Federal.

How do laws in SC effect things in the PNW?

The LEDS system provides info on All CHL holders - the Officer will know that you have a CHL even before he pulls you over. If you have nothing to hide - and if you are a CHL holder you shouldn't - why be worried ? If you act like an honest person that is the way you will be treated. If you act like an a%%hole then you will receive the appropriate treatment..

Yeah right, only by the way we act? We all know that some officers never, never, never right off the bat act like an a%%hole but will expect respect and kindness in return. Yeah right....

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what law states a citizen is not allowed to be an az hole and also the law that give an officer the right to impart 'appropriate treatment'?

Sounds like someone here thinks bubba has the right to punish when he is disrespected. Curious because I was taught to respect citizens when I went through the academy.

You ain't from 'round here, boy.

Maybe if you aren't polite, they'll soon be stabbing you in the arm, on the spot. How nice. You weren't 100% cooperative. You might be that way because you could have been drinking. Here, let's find out.

Cops can now force you to let them stab you with a needle for a blood test - Jesus Christ. Not a nurse, or medical person back at the station, but right on the spot next to your car.

Refusal wont be allowed with the new 'instant warrants' coming soon to a town near you (now in Phoenix). If you refused to let the cop play doctor, I am sure your punishment will be getting tasered a few times or worse.

Surely, a cop that is put out with you being rude will be very gentle with that needle and not have to 'search around' to find a vein.

What a populace of sheep that we allow this behavior without even so much as a baah. Americans really do deserve the tyranny that is coming.

Phoenix police speed up DUI search-warrant process

^

LOL, so now the cops can stab you with a needle in a traffic stop, but any contact you make on their sanctified bodies will result in a severe beatdown and an assault charge.

Protect and serve!

Maybe if you aren't polite, they'll soon be stabbing you in the arm, on the spot. How nice. You weren't 100% cooperative. You might be that way because you could have been drinking. Here, let's find out.

Cops can now force you to let them stab you with a needle for a blood test - Jesus Christ. Not a nurse, or medical person back at the station, but right on the spot next to your car.

Refusal wont be allowed with the new 'instant warrants' coming soon to a town near you (now in Phoenix). If you refused to let the cop play doctor, I am sure your punishment will be getting tasered a few times or worse.

Surely, a cop that is put out with you being rude will be very gentle with that needle and not have to 'search around' to find a vein.

What a populace of sheep that we allow this behavior without even so much as a baah. Americans really do deserve the tyranny that is coming.

Phoenix police speed up DUI search-warrant process

Quick way to end up with dead cops.

I got pulled over for going slightly over the limit, (11 MPH) by a state trooper around Depoe Bay at 3 AM. This was a month or two back, he didn't ask for my CHL, just took my DL back to his cruiser, came back five minutes later with a warning and let me go.

:) good times

And it's different in WA, they have a right (from state court ruling) to search your vehicle for "officer safety", if they arrest you then they must get a search warrant to finish..

Will you please stop propagating this misinformation! You have never posted a reference court case to show this claim, and I am sure you cannot, because such a case does not exist, and without a reasonable reason (RAS that must past muster in court) they CANNOT search you or your vehicle without a warrent! And I have PM'd you court cases that prove MY contention.

If you are not suspected of committing/have committed a CRIME, they cannot search your without a warrant, and they cannot obtain a warrant if they do not suspect you of a CRIME. A traffic violation is not a crime.

In 2004, I was in an accident in Beaverton and the BPD showed up. While checking drivers licenses of all of the involved drivers (which I was one of them) one of the BPD officers asked if I had my concealed weapon on me. I didn't and responded accordingly. I'm registered out of Yamhill county, so as far as I know, same state interagency data sharing going on for at least about a decade.

SC (OK, OH and a few other) are "Must Inform" states, that is correct. OR, WA, ID, NV, MT, WY and many others do not have that requirement. It might be advantageous for you to look up: Handgunlaw.us and research the laws of the state you are in/will be traveling in/through. It has a very good summery of the little "gotya's" that are different with different states.

My advice is. If you are in a "Must Inform" state, inform...if you are NOT in a "Must inform" state...don't. Your carry has absolutely nothing to do with a traffic stop.

My advice is. If you are in a "Must Inform" state, inform...if you are NOT in a "Must inform" state...don't. Your carry has absolutely nothing to do with a traffic stop.

Your carry does have something to do with a traffic stop. In Oregon, a CHL holder is clearly indicated on LEDS data. If the officer has time to run the RO's (registered owners) drivers license it will come up on his car on the MDT. He will then know if you have a CHL, and asking if you have a weapon is a completely legitimate question for officer safety. If he does not run it, then when they call out on traffic, the dispatcher will usually run the RO, and contact the officer and tell them the RO has a 35 Willy, or any warrants.

The officer in my opinion certainly has a right to know if you are carrying a weapon,since by virtue of your CHL you have agreed to that information begin available to the officer and that information being available on the LEDs system. Since I would just as soon let the officer know that I have a CHL, and that I have weapon on me, that is going a lot farther than forcing them to ask all the questions that you could have just as easily told them. As long as your not acting like some roided out road rage idiot, things should go just fine. By freely admitting that I have a CHl and a weapon on me, I have taken the first step to establish some credibility with the LEO, and then we can move on to what the contact or stop was about in the first place.

That is my personal opinion and it has worked well for me.

How does telling the officer ACTUALLY make him safer?

I am not going to be the one to bring a gun into a traffic stop, that is why I do not tell. I dont tell the cop other useless information either. IF the cop wants to bring guns into the traffic stop that is HIS choice.

Do you tell everyone else where you go that you are carrying a gun for their "safety"? If not how is this situation different?

I am not saying you are wrong to do what you do. Yes it is a choice. I get pulled over a lot (lead foot) and I never bring up guns unless there is a reason like I have to reach in an area where there is one. VERY seldom do I get asked if I have any guns in the car. Very seldom do I get a ticket.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top