JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got pulled over the other night and was suprised that the cop asked me if I had a gun on me or in the car. This was after he returned from his car with my DL, not when he initially walked up to my car.

I've read on the forum numerous times that the CHL records were not accessible from the systems used to run DL's or license plates. Has his changed recently? I replied with "What?" And he says, "Well, you have a concealed handgun license, so I'm asking you if you have a gun in the car." I asked him if I have to answer that question and he told me I did.

A couple years ago a cop noticed my CHL sticking out a little bit from behind another card in my wallet as I was pulling out my DL. He asked me what form of state ID it was and asked me to pull it out (did I need to?). After seeing that it was a CHL (maybe he knew already) he then of course asked me if I had a gun in the car. I'm guessing this cop put this in the "notes" somewhere and now I will be asked every time I'm pulled over? Do I need to answer this question? I don't see how it makes a difference either way. Criminals would not answer truthfully and maybe CHL holders as well.

This bothers me because I could have a coworker/friend/client in the car with me next time and I don't want this conversation coming up.

I believe the police officer will know you have a CHL when he runs your drivers license. They will usually ask you if you have a firearm or not, and I believe they are allowed to ask this for officer safety reasons. It's in your best interest to answer truthfully, many policemen are good at reading people. The police officer may disarm you during the traffic stop, again for officer safety. Different police officers might handle the situation in different ways but having a good attitude about it well help the interaction. You can advise the police officer you have a CHL when you first get pulled over or simply hand him your card, then answer yes/no when he asks if you have any guns, to get that out of the way first. If you didn't want to be asked about your carry permit and guns in the car, you probably shouldn't have got a CHL.

I believe it was Lake Oswego police but I'm not certain. The other threads that were referenced here were about confiscation of weapons and/or volunteering information (handing over CHL with DL or guns in plain sight). I'm wondering if they now have access to CHL records, because I've read many times here that they were two completely different databases. I didn't have a gun in plain sight and I didn't say a word up until he asked me the question.

Also, wouldn't they need a warrant to search my car? How could they disarm me if they don't see a gun in plain sight and I tell them I don't have a gun in the car?

I try to say as little as possible to the police (bad experience years ago) so thanks for the video...

Oh and the "shouldn't have gotten a CHL" comment, LOL. Is there a dislike button?

I did run into the same situation but not in oregon in cornellious california. The only thing he hang back my DL, registration, insurance card and a speeding ticket :) before he left my car he asked "do you have any weapon in the car?" All i respond was "have a good night officer" :)

I've read on the forum numerous times that the CHL records were not accessible from the systems used to run DL's or license plates. Has his changed recently?

How Oregon Works

Your CHL record is linked to your name. So, when they run your driver's license, the system pulls your name from that information and runs it through your state law enforcement data system. From those records it shows you have no wants, and you have a CHL. If someone was to run you for JUST your driving status it would not come up, but agencies don't do this as they need to know if you are wanted. So, while your CHL isn't linked to your DL, they find it by running your DL as the system does automatic checks based on the name on your DL.....make sense? Also, only your state can check for your CHL.

The subject of plates is a bit more complicated, most plates are run for registered owners and want information. Making sure the vehicle or plates are not stolen. This is how plates are run 95% of the time. However, in Oregon, the DMV includes enough information on the registration return to run the people who own the vehicle, so from there they can run that info and much like above find, out if you've got a CHL. It's a round about way, but it can be done, again, it's not linked to the vehicle, it's linked to your name and the registration provides that.

Was it Police, Sheriff or State Patrol? It wouldn't suprise me that if it was a Stater, he could pull up every gun gun serial you ever owned.

:s0112::s0112::s0112: City Police, county Sheriff's Deputies and State Patrol have the same access to the same information. And, no they cannot tell you the serial number of every gun you've ever owned.

Here in gun-law-bound UK every police patrol car has ANPR - Automatic number-plate recognition. It can be set to alert when a vehicle comes into view that is :

1. Not registered for use - ie, the road tax has not been paid up.

2. Not MoT's - the annual mechanical check-up for all vehicles over three years old.

3. the registered owner is not insured OR, the most worrisome aspect -

4. Whether or not the registered owner of the vehicle has a FAC [firearms certificate] or a gun license -they are not the same thing, BTW. The first is for any rifled firearm or a shotgun capable of holding three or more rounds, the second is for a regular sb, sxs or o&u shotgun.

In the last year we have had three members of our gun club stopped on their way home and asked if they have guns in the car. Why, nobody knows - the answer given when one of them asked was that they are 'just checking to see that the has his FAC within him/her' at the time of the stop.

Needless to say, we don't like it.

Over in Northern Ireland there are almost three thousand people with CWP for personal protection - no other part of the UK has this facility. A friend of mine in the PSNI tells me that they would NEVER make a stop on a 'carrier' for fear of exposing him or her for PERSEC reasons.

tac

For WA State, the police will know when they run your driver's license. I have personally heard more than once this while listening to a police-radio scanner (using the app 5-0 on my iPhone). The officer radios in the details, and a couple of minutes later he gets the response back including that they had a CPL.

Peter

This bothers me because I could have a coworker/friend/client in the car with me next time and I don't want this conversation coming up.

You could be intentional and discreet at the same time. When the LEO comes up to the vehicle hand them your credentials with CWP (they will know what it is). Make a simple but clear statement to let the LEO know up front that either you are or not carrying concealed. Your passenger won't have any idea what you are talking about.

If the LEO has to ask you they are going to speak loud enough for everyone to hear. So if discretion is your objective your best bet is to be proactive and beat them to the punch line.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top