JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wasn't sure if there were prairie dogs in Oregon so I googled it and came up with this.
Yes there are Prairie dogs that live in Oregon one such species is the Black-Tailed Prairie Dog that is on the endangered list. - See more at: Do prairie dogs live in Oregon? | ChaCha.
I know there are a lot of sage rats also known as belding ground squirrels.
But you'll have to wait a few more months before they start coming up around the alfalfa fields.

There are no Prairie dogs in Oregon. The Prairie dogs don't range any closer to Oregon then Eastern Colorado or Eastern Arizona.

None are listed in "Ingles" "Mammals of the Pacific Northwest" When I was in School that was the go to book on critters in Oregon.

There are no Prairie dogs in Oregon. The Prairie dogs don't range any closer to Oregon then Eastern Colorado or Eastern Arizona.

None are listed in "Ingles" "Mammals of the Pacific Northwest" When I was in School that was the go to book on critters in Oregon.
I don't know what you call those little hole livers down in California but we called them prarie dogs but maybe they are ground squirrels. They get pretty big and I've blasted thousands.. good fun.

The belding ground Squirrel is actually a California belding grounds Squirrel.
Huh, didn't you say that a Belding is a sage rat? Aren't sage rats about as big as a pack of smokes? The California critters often got to around the size of a fat loaf of bread.. usually the old boars and or mothers.

Yup California belding ground Squirrel is aka sage rat. They get about two inches across and about 6-8 inches tall appox. So the official Species name is California belding ground squirrel
Aka belding ground Squirrel, sage rat, Squeakers, and many other nicknames. What you describe is definitely some other type of rodent/species, I've never been to California hunting will never go to California hunting so I have no idea what kind of Rodents are down there. The only reason why I know about the sage rat is from talking to the ranchers and from googling it.

Beldings Ground Squirrel: Is medium sized with "a relatively short tail, short limbs, and small ears".[3] It has a gray pelage become more cinnamon at the underside and reddish-brown on the back. Its body length is 230 to 300 millimetres (9.1–12 in). The tail is 44 to 76 millimetres (1.7–3.0 in) and is bushy but also flattened. The distal hairs of the tail have three color bands, one black, one white and one red. On average, the ground squirrel weighs 290 grams (0.64 lb). Its feet are covered in little to no hair.

mammals_belding2.jpg
Prairie Dog: On average, these stout-bodied rodents will grow to be between 30 and 40 cm (12 and 16 in) long, including the short tail, and weigh between 0.5 and 1.5 kilograms (1 and 3 lb). Sexual dimorphism in body mass in the prairie dog varies 105 to 136% between the sexes.[5]

prairie-dog-on-watch.jpg

Range of the Prairie Dog

map2.jpg

So as you can see the Prairie Dog ranges no where near Oregon Or California. And runs 2-6 times as heavy. And is much taller.

I'm a member of the Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society and we shoot sage rats. My best so far is 462 yards with a .204 Ruger. That's like hitting a soda can at just over four and a half footballs fields. It's great fun! Gary

1239333259.jpg DSC00103.jpg eorfslogo2.jpg

I'm a member of the Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society and we shoot sage rats. My best so far is 462 yards with a .204 Ruger. That's like hitting a soda can at just over four and a half footballs fields. It's great fun! Gary

COOL..........really like your shooting table

1239333259.jpg DSC00103.jpg eorfslogo2.jpg

Raptor Feeding Society?! That is a hillariously awesome name.

It's not only funny but true, I have a picture that shows a bunch of eagles sitting on an irrigation pivot (sprinkler) waiting for us to kill their lunch! When an eagle comes down to feed the squirrels pop up to watch their buddy getting eaten and we shoot them too! (The squirrels not the eagles).

A Coors Silver Bullet can, filled with water as a target, aptly replicates the size of a standing Sand Rat (or whatever one wishes to call a Belding Ground Squirrel). While I prefer 17 HMR for them, I have taken them with 22mag, 22lr, 223, 22-250, 204, and 25-06 (which is visually impressive). Bring LOTS of ammo.

Has anyone heard if Dinsdale farm are still allowing shooting on their land. Last I heard it sounded iffy if they still do cause of people Not following their easy rule.

They told me they were closeing their pivots to general drive up and sign up type shooting. You can still shoot there if you know someone. Although when I called last week they said they might be open again to general public. kind of confusing I received two answers it 3 days and they were 180 from each other!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top