JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recall my Christmas present to myself:

Well, the scope and mounts showed up, so I put her together and hit the range today.

79A3A04E-28EF-4235-B761-008EAEBA3EEA.jpeg

I like to name the rifles I know I'm going to keep, but I made an exception in this case and named it before I even shot it. I actually let my wife do the honors. She chose Nutsack.

So I took Nutsack to the range today, to break her in and see if she liked my 75 gr ELDM load that my Superlite shoots at 2934 fps into a hair over half an inch. But first, I had to begin the exhaustive, time-consuming, and intricate break-in process.

After hanging a target at 50 and another at 100, I steeled myself for the break-in process, as follows (and remember, this is a new rifle, so proper break-in is crucial):
Step one: remove the bolt.
Step two: run a .22 cal Boresnake through the barrel.
Step three (perhaps the most important step): run it through again.
Step four: insert the bolt.
Step five: start shooting.

I eyeballed the 50 yard target through the barrel and adjusted the crosshairs to get on paper. My first two shots (sorry for the crappy phone pic):

28DA9F64-39D9-48F7-B3A2-0CE8BFE0D531.jpeg

Adjusted left and up, fired three more:

843BCA17-6DD4-4119-B8B8-76AD89D46DFF.jpeg

Moved to 100 yards, made some adjustments:

36DD4D8E-686F-48D7-A581-F2ADB101DAEB.jpeg

I spent the rest of the session shooting the spinners at the 200 yard line.

I think Nutsack has a place in the safe. A word to the wise, however. I doubt she would have shot so well without a proper breaking in. Don't cut corners!

P

Run more rounds thru it, tighten all bolts/screws to make sure everything is seated well. Try again.

Dunno if it's the bore wants a certain amount of fouling before they really hit their stride. Or if screws are a touch loose, and take a little love to seat perfectly.

Our 270 took a few go rounds to come to heel. Now it shoots well.

223 shot very well out of the box, but took a little time to settle into it's happy place after I took barreled action out of stock to tinker with trigger.

Confident you know all this. But it's worth sharing.

Great groups! This is encouraging.

I recently picked up a Tikka in .270 and am excited to get it out to the range. I bought it lightly used and the prior owner showed me his groupings at 200 yards which, if taken at face value, would make it a 1/3rd MOA rifle.

I'm pretty excited!

Congrats on a great rifle!:D

What are you planning to shoot out of it?

I'm not sure. I'm reloading for a 7x57, 280, and two 7mm Rem Mags already, so I have lots of 7mm bullets. Between them all I'm using 140gr Hornady Interlocks, 150gr Ballistic Tips, 150gr Nosler LR Accubonds, and 160gr Partitions. I was contemplating the 140gr Ballistic Tips and something in the RL19/H4350/Big Game realm of powders. Any suggestions? Not shooting anything bigger than mule deer out to 400 yards.

Shootersproshop.com for 140 Accubond or Partition seconds, they're all I buy. Let your rifle pick between them.
47.5 grains Big Game
WLRM
2.805" OAL
It's max, so work up. Expect 2850-2885 or so mv.

I could list the critters we've killed with this recipe but it would sound like bragging.

P

Well, swive me with a rope!

I bought a Leupold FX-3 12x40mm AO Target scope, just like I have on Blue Lightning and the Superlite. Great plan, but the bell touches the @#$%^& barrel. So I put the other scope back on.

Poop.

P

Well, swive me with a rope!

I bought a Leupold FX-3 12x40mm AO Target scope, just like I have on Blue Lightning and the Superlite. Great plan, but the bell touches the @#$%^& barrel. So I put the other scope back on.

Poop.

P

What mounts? My Talley lows are more like halfway between leupold lows and mediums. I'm using leupold dual dovetails with low rings and clear a 6x42 pretty easy.

I'm not sure. I'm reloading for a 7x57, 280, and two 7mm Rem Mags already, so I have lots of 7mm bullets. Between them all I'm using 140gr Hornady Interlocks, 150gr Ballistic Tips, 150gr Nosler LR Accubonds, and 160gr Partitions. I was contemplating the 140gr Ballistic Tips and something in the RL19/H4350/Big Game realm of powders. Any suggestions? Not shooting anything bigger than mule deer out to 400 yards.

PM your name and addy and I'll send you 50 each 140 Accubonds and Partitions. I got scads of them.

And yes, I'm trying to buy your approval. I didn't get enough attention as a child.

P

What mounts? My Talley lows are more like halfway between leupold lows and mediums. I'm using leupold dual dovetails with low rings and clear a 6x42 pretty easy.

Modified Talleys. A machinist cut a groove in them so they fit over the dovetail. Really cool but I'm defeated by the bull barrel.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads