JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any updates on Gooseneck being open? I need to verify a zero tomorrow
Sorry, Union (& @jimihaze & others), but the new range in the Santiam won't be done till Oct 30th. It will be 110 yrds and will be a real quality place to shoot. It's East of Scotts Mills. However... ODF has that part of the Santiam closed for now because of last years fire! I'm working on an exception for the 30th so we can try out the new range, BBQ and plant some shrubs. Till then, we start construction on the 16th and materials being delivered this week.

You can, however, come see the pit if you want to join the security team and camp there for a night or two. Can't shoot while the contractor is working daytime, but I'm sure there's still a little daylight left when the day is done. We camp behind a locked gate and I need at least two people there each night to oversee the safety of his equipment. A couple nights are open the first week, of the 18th, and most nights are open for the week of the 25th.

Details and security team calendar are in this thread...

615 Pit Shooting Lane in the Santiam State Forest, OR

The GPS is on the Trash No Land Home page in the interactive target shooting map. Click on the 615 Pit shooter icon and it gives you the GPS.

At least it will be a good resource for you that's not too far from the Salem area, compared to the distance to Goosneck.

Hope you find a good spot tomorrow! And hope to see you again soon!

Bill

Gooseneck still was off limits to shooters as of Tuesday. Even more fire danger signs up. It was wet when I was up there.

Hey guys I live in Dallas so I've gone up to gooseneck for years very convenient location. Anyways I went up today and it is open for shooting. They have a couple signs down lower close to the logging operations that say NO TARGET SHOOTING. But once you drive up far enough in it's good to go. I picked up a decent amount of trash unfortunately still a lot of idiots that don't clean up after themselves. Have a good Thanksgiving y'all.

hate to dig up a old thread from the crypt. Are there any long range shooting areas on Gooseneck road anyone wants to share? I've been messing around on Google Earth and base maps. Most of the terrain seems like slopes and small cut off trails people shoot at. Trying to find a nice rifle range to stretch out.

My coworker went there this weekend and said it was gated because of fire danger. Does anyone know of a map or a website to find when this opens back up.

My coworker went there this weekend and said it was gated because of fire danger. Does anyone know of a map or a website to find when this opens back up.
Closed for 30 days as of Sept 8th. Here's a link to a PDF file of the closure from BLM:
https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/f...D_FIRE CLOSURE ORDER_2022-0907_508withmap.pdf

If that doesn't work, here's the BLM page I got the link from: Scroll down and click on Northwest Oregon. Then you'll see it listed. It will open the PDF.
https://www.blm.gov/programs/public...onal-info/oregon-washington/fire-restrictions

Bill

No. There is nothing safe over 100 yards.

Do people shoot longer with no or poor backstops? Sure. But safely 100 yards is about all you'll get.
You can get out to at least 500 meters. But you have to be willing to hike steel in on your back. And after you set it more than likely you'll want to just leave it there. That's what my buddy and I used to do in high school. I haven't been to gooseneck in years.

You can get out to at least 500 meters. But you have to be willing to hike steel in on your back. And after you set it more than likely you'll want to just leave it there. That's what my buddy and I used to do in high school. I haven't been to gooseneck in years.
Very interesting. I didn't have a truck when I lived in Dallas so I was limited in where I could go up there. I did find the 100 yard lane and a handful of smaller pistol areas (10-20 yards). I never thought it was very safe. One time I was shooting an AK out there and some guy on a mountain bike came around the corner and pretty much peed his pants.

Gooseneck will probably open up when we start getting some rain. After 10 days or two weeks of rain, they figure it's getting safe to get back up in there with guns, chainsaws etc.

Does anybody know if it's open now?

Edit - I was there today (10/23/22), it is open. There are a lot of signs marking many different spots as unsafe for shooting or no shooting allowed at this spot, but after driving around for a while we found a great spot.

Last Edited:
Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top