JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We're very close to stocking our pond with Rainbow Trout and other creatures, such as crawdads. I was curious if you guys know any good places to trap some close to Clackamas with clean water. I know they live in Johnson Creek and the Tualatin River, but I don't want to bring back any e.coli or other bacteria/diseases. I'm beginning to think it might be in our best interest to make the drive to Timothy Lake.

Any other tips on catching/trapping/caring for them would be appreciated! Last time I trapped some I was 8 years old :s0155:

Crawdads can be found anywhere, but especially on rocky bottoms. That's why you catch Smallmouth bass around rocks. That's where the crawdads are, and other tasty critters such as minnows (tasty to the bass that is).

We used to have a crawdad trap years ago that we used when we fished the Ozarks. Actually used it for both crawdads and minnows. I consisted of a big mason jar with an inverted wire mesh (a little smaller than chicken wire) cone with a hole at the bottom of it big enough for a crawdad to crawl thru. We would use either chicken livers or a small drumstick for bait. Place it with the top of the mason jar pointed downstream. The crawdads will crawl in, but they very seldom will be able to crawl out.

Worked for minnows too huh? That's awesome! We plan on stocking a couple hundred of those as well for trout and crawdad food.

Go to Barton Park and throw a trap or get a hotdog on a hook and string. Go down to the rocks near the boat ramp and have at them.

If you go with the hot dog method get a small net to catch them as they may let go once to the top of the water.

I know a place that has crawdads so big only three will fit in a half gallon milk container. When I get retired I will send you pictures. lol

jj

my girlfriend and i filled a 5 gallon bucket half way in an hour across from fishermans to the left of mcdonalds. using bacon on a string and 2 butterfly nets put it behind the crawdad so even if u scare them they movebackward into it. any other questions message me. i have been going alot

I got the bacon thawing now, we're going to head out tomorrow morning. We'll probably try Barton Park and if that doesn't work, maybe Promintory Lake or that park near McDonalds. Do we need any licenses or anything?

Heh not much of one. I fish, but rarely catch anything :)

Is that the shop next to Gun Zone?

I read that Qregon allows subsistence fishing without a license. Dress like a homeless tweaker and use a shopping cart to haul your stuff. If stopped, say you're catching dinner, and you should have no issues!

A little inspiration:

100_2038.jpg

100_2035.jpg

100_2036.jpg

100_2037.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR