Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good place to catch crawdads around Clackamas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

We're very close to stocking our pond with Rainbow Trout and other creatures, such as crawdads. I was curious if you guys know any good places to trap some close to Clackamas with clean water. I know they live in Johnson Creek and the Tualatin River, but I don't want to bring back any e.coli or other bacteria/diseases. I'm beginning to think it might be in our best interest to make the drive to Timothy Lake.

Any other tips on catching/trapping/caring for them would be appreciated! Last time I trapped some I was 8 years old :thumbup:

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Crawdads can be found anywhere, but especially on rocky bottoms. That's why you catch Smallmouth bass around rocks. That's where the crawdads are, and other tasty critters such as minnows (tasty to the bass that is).

We used to have a crawdad trap years ago that we used when we fished the Ozarks. Actually used it for both crawdads and minnows. I consisted of a big mason jar with an inverted wire mesh (a little smaller than chicken wire) cone with a hole at the bottom of it big enough for a crawdad to crawl thru. We would use either chicken livers or a small drumstick for bait. Place it with the top of the mason jar pointed downstream. The crawdads will crawl in, but they very seldom will be able to crawl out.

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Worked for minnows too huh? That's awesome! We plan on stocking a couple hundred of those as well for trout and crawdad food.

4. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

Used to be able to catch them up at Timothy Lake,haven't tried in a while but used to do pretty well.
    RK

5. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

Go to Barton Park and throw a trap or get a hotdog on a hook and string. Go down to the rocks near the boat ramp and have at them.

If you go with the hot dog method get a small net to catch them as they may let go once to the top of the water.

6. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

What is the very best bait for a trap?

7. jack1122

jack1122 Tillamook County Member

8. Cougfan2

We actually used crackers if what we were really after was minnows.

9. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

Joey, you already have eColi. In your pond, on your sidewalk, in your grass, in yourselves. You have eColi.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

I know a place that has crawdads so big only three will fit in a half gallon milk container. When I get retired I will send you pictures. lol

jj

11. Cougfan2

Them's some dandy mud bugs! Some of the best food I ever had in my life was when my buddy's wife, a cajun gal, made us some crawfish etouffe. :thumbup:

12. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

try bacon I have real good luck with that.

13. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

Promintory Lake just outside of Estacada, took my boys fishing there last weekend. They come right up to the bank in the rocks, we were just grabbing them. No trap needed LOL !

14. ohsocountry1

ohsocountry1 clackamas oregon Member

my girlfriend and i filled a 5 gallon bucket half way in an hour across from fishermans to the left of mcdonalds. using bacon on a string and 2 butterfly nets put it behind the crawdad so even if u scare them they movebackward into it. any other questions message me. i have been going alot

15. Joe Link

I got the bacon thawing now, we're going to head out tomorrow morning. We'll probably try Barton Park and if that doesn't work, maybe Promintory Lake or that park near McDonalds. Do we need any licenses or anything?

16. ohsocountry1

i dont believe so if you go near mcdonalds i will c u there and show u are skill lol:thumbup:

17. ohsocountry1

joey you a fisherman also i live in happy valley also and work at bc angling post on 82nd drive just wondered if i have met u before

18. Joe Link

Heh not much of one. I fish, but rarely catch anything :)

Is that the shop next to Gun Zone?

19. gunluvver

gunluvver Hillsboro, OR Member

I read that Qregon allows subsistence fishing without a license. Dress like a homeless tweaker and use a shopping cart to haul your stuff. If stopped, say you're catching dinner, and you should have no issues!

20. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

A little inspiration:

100_2038.jpg

100_2035.jpg

100_2036.jpg

100_2037.jpg