JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am currently working on restoring an older shotgun. The trigger needs new gold plating on it. Does anyone know anybody local who would do a small item like this for a relatively friendly price? Wilsonville/Canby/Oregon City location preferred.

thanks.

You might call around to some of the jewelry shops that do design and repair, barring you can get the trigger off for them. They should be experts in small plating jobs, likely at a reasonable cost.

Thanks all. I've called a few jewelers to no avail. some of the listed platers are larger companies that don't do something small. A new trigger is $75 so it may be cheaper to just buy new. Hoping to find a hobby person who has a home kit.

Thanks all. I've called a few jewelers to no avail. some of the listed platers are larger companies that don't do something small. A new trigger is $75 so it may be cheaper to just buy new. Hoping to find a hobby person who has a home kit.
Huh!
Is this because its a gun part?
I cant remember who, but I use to know of two in jewelers Portland around SW Oak street. that did at least rhodium, and silver touch up plating albeit 20 years ago when I had a silver and turquoise belt buckle repaired. One even had Laser soldering, relatively new at the time, which was extremely helpful for my part, to contain the heat.
Also, My Aunt had some silver things re-plated at some jewelers in Gresham albeit this too was about 1990. Just seems odd, at the very least sad, I guess such service is no longer cost effective. Bummer.
Have you looked to see if there is a jewelry / arts school, maybe Portland Community college, or similar? I'm sure some student there would like to make a buck or two.
all else fails

Huh!
Is this because its a gun part?
I cant remember who, but I use to know of two in jewelers Portland around SW Oak street. that did at least rhodium, and silver touch up plating albeit 20 years ago when I had a silver and turquoise belt buckle repaired. One even had Laser soldering, relatively new at the time, which was extremely helpful for my part, to contain the heat.
Also, My Aunt had some silver things re-plated at some jewelers in Gresham albeit this too was about 1990. Just seems odd, at the very least sad, I guess such service is no longer cost effective. Bummer.
Have you looked to see if there is a jewelry / arts school, maybe Portland Community college, or similar? I'm sure some student there would like to make a buck or two.
all else fails
I'll guess that those old time jewelers in downtown potland, that were fixtures since the early 1900s, have closed up shop.

Try Bliss Plating. They were located at 3576 SE Division St.
I use to have fishing tackle lure blades gold plated. They did a great job.

Unfortunately, it looks like bliss plating is permanently closed… Thanks for the suggestion, though.
I just remembered, I used to deal with a plater some years ago. His business was called "Antique Arts Metal Craft". He USED to be around SE 56-7th and Foster in Portland. He refurbish/plated metal. A very interesting shop he had. I know the city of potland was always on his butt with the chemicals he dealt with.

I know the city of potland was always on his butt with the chemicals he dealt with.
I used to work part time in a plating shop in AZ. They had to employ someone full time to deal with all the nonsense from the EPA, State, City and other random government overreach agencies that felt the need to stick their nose in his business.

If you want to know why stuff like this is so expensive and becoming harder to find - look no further than the overly 'helpful' government.

There's a guy on eBay that does restoration of these triggers.

1692890263643.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR