JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so my brother bought a new Glock 19 and not knowing that much about them I was wondering if the following is a gun malfunction or normal.

What happens is when the slide locks back after the last round is fired and you drop the mag and re-insert a new loaded one as as soon you insert the mag with what I would consider normal force the slide releases and feeds the first available round.

Thanks

Andy

Not normal.
Slide should stay back until released with the slide release catch or you pull back on it.

Although with practice, it feels as if that happens in one movement.
Mag Drop, new mag in and slide release kinda become one movement.

Probably a mag issue, the mag does not push the slide lock up enough so it just barely catches, and when you insert the new mag it jars it loose. Otherwise, there could be an issue with the slide lock, but that is less likely. The tab on the slide lock may be bent up a little bit.

Try manually locking the slide open (making sure to push the slide lock all the way up), and insert a new loaded mag and see it it still does that. If not you may want to try a different mag, or a newer mag, or replace the spring/follower. Otherwise you can replace the slide lock or fix the bend issue if that is it.

It depends on how you hold in the gun with your hand while you push the mag in (at least on mine). If you hold your gun hand very rigid when you tap in the mag, the slide will most likely close. If your gun hand gives (from the force of your other hand sliding in the magazine) when you push it in, it won't.

Probably a mag issue, the mag does not push the slide lock up enough so it just barely catches, and when you insert the new mag it jars it loose. Otherwise, there could be an issue with the slide lock, but that is less likely. The tab on the slide lock may be bent up a little bit.

Try manually locking the slide open (making sure to push the slide lock all the way up), and insert a new loaded mag and see it it still does that. If not you may want to try a different mag, or a newer mag, or replace the spring/follower. Otherwise you can replace the slide lock or fix the bend issue if that is it.

I will thanks

My glocks only do it when I slap the mag in there hard...for some reason the Glock 17 I was issued did it all the time. Maybe it's a 9mm thing? I was told by a Glock certified instructor that it WILL do that when you slap up the mag hard enough.

There's nothing wrong with the gun, and it is NOT a malfunction- despite what most people here might say.

I tried it with my Springfield XD and same thing, if you smack it in there hard enough, most guns will do that (minus my 1911).

As a side note, Glock doesn't want you to use the slide lock to release the slide. you're suppossed to pull on the rear of the slide and release it to feed a new round in.

My glocks only do it when I slap the mag in there hard...for some reason the Glock 17 I was issued did it all the time. Maybe it's a 9mm thing? I was told by a Glock certified instructor that it WILL do that when you slap up the mag hard enough.

There's nothing wrong with the gun, and it is NOT a malfunction- despite what most people here might say.

I tried it with my Springfield XD and same thing, if you smack it in there hard enough, most guns will do that (minus my 1911).

As a side note, Glock doesn't want you to use the slide lock to release the slide. you're suppossed to pull on the rear of the slide and release it to feed a new round in.
+1
it happens. you could get it checked out. but most guns this can and will happen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top