JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm leaving the restauraunt, and as the door closes it hits my mag carrier, a Fobus double mag pouch.

I turned and looked at it then picked it up and kept walking, stuffing it in my back pocket so as to not attract any more attention.

When I get into my car I inspect it and the polymer is marred in a couple of spots near the top of the mag. Not the feed lips or the ammo, just toward the area just under the top of the mag.

Grrr...I am not a pistol princess but I still feel the pain when this happens. This is one of those areas where steel mags are better than polymer...

If there is nothing functional wrong with the mag what exactly is the problem?

I can tell you steel anything gets just a beat up. You should see my daily carry flashlights and knives.........

Bushman it's just a tool buddy. If your seriously training with your carry gear as you should then it will have plenty of battle scars on it already. Besides the nicks, cuts, and scratches only provide you more positive traction when your cold, wet, trembling hands index it under an extreme stressful fighting situation. It is nothing more than a disposable piece of survival or rescue equipment.

In training, mags are dropped on concrete, asphalt, mud and rocks. Now granted our primary carry gear shouldn't be abused but it certainly should be used in training to prove it is reliable.

Besides these polymer mags are street and perhaps battle proven. They are designed for conditions far worse than this!!!

The real lesson in all this is your mag pouch let you down almost potentially compromising your security or stealth as a concealed carrier. Secondly your pouch should secure your gear for even situations like this. You should seriously reconsider a new pouch which retains your mags for life's little bumps and mishaps.

I neglected to mention that I reverted to my Galco mag carrier, tension adjustable leather. Did so with the pistol long ago.

Like I said, I know it can take this, and I'm not a pistol princess, but I still don't enjoy beating it up. I don't know anyone that tosses their mags and gun around on the concrete for fun then just puts it back in their holster and goes about their day lol.

I neglected to mention that I reverted to my Galco mag carrier, tension adjustable leather. Did so with the pistol long ago.

Like I said, I know it can take this, and I'm not a pistol princess, but I still don't enjoy beating it up. I don't know anyone that tosses their mags and gun around on the concrete for fun then just puts it back in their holster and goes about their day lol.

Glad you've reverted back to a more reliable and secure piece of kit! A wise decision. Good lesson. Thanks for your willingness to share.

Hey I feel the pain! Most of my mags have hit the deck more than a few times, particularly in practicing empty reloads. At first it made me cringe seeing my mags get all scuffed up, but then I eventually just didn't care lol. The finish on my carry gun is actually showing a good bit of holster wear as well, makes me sad because I love a beautiful gun but I guess it shows character?

And I actually have dropped my gun on a few occasions, thank God for drop safeties, I'm just about as clumsy (or dumb) as they get..

The first scratch is always the hardest.

Dang -I hate when people say something and then you can't get the tune out of your head! :s0114:

As far as scratches, I'm still very much a rookie at competition, but my mags are all scratched and dented up from dropping them on gravel, and sometimes cement. Just take a look and make sure they still work and you're good to go. Let's face it, work equipment isn't exactly museum grade stuff. The dings and scratches add character!

I toss my Glock and AR mags on the ground for fun all the time in competitions. Sometimes they get stepped on, and I've had one get run over by a truck. They are really beat up, and I have had to replace a couple of baseplates, but they all work just fine.

OK I love my clocks but if it dropped on the sidewalk and didn't hurt the sights?
Yeah whatever
My 1911s?
I'd probably kneel down and cry a little

Now the differences between steel and plastic is that steel will bend and the plastic mags will give more without damaging them.

No worries ,Princess

:s0092:

:s0084::s0162:

I guess I just don't get it. I drop my mags all the time, it's called a mag change, I then go around pick them up, reload them and start over.

Me too. Emergency reload and I am stripping that mag out asap so I can get a full one in asap'er. That involves more than a little bit of abuse to the mag. Any scars I consider character marks :).

I'd rather drop a Glock mag than most steel ones. The polymer will get scratched or marred, but that's about it. A full steel mag can get dented easier since there's no plastic for cushioning. Also scratches through the finish on a steel mag can allow it to rust easier. A Glock or some HK mags, just take some fine sandpaper to smooth out any burrs and call it good.

I think the only mags in my house that aren't scratched, dented, scrapped, or in some way defaced are my 2 twenty round p-mags.

I've had to replace numerous floor plates on my AR mags, but have replaced nothing on my pistol (XD, M&P) mags yet. They ain't pretty but they work, guaranteed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top