JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Glock 35 that shoots .40cal and .357 well, but when I shoot 9mm the casings fly straight back in my face. I am obviously changing out the barrels, but using same recoil spring. Should I invest in a lighter spring possibly for shooting the 9mm? Any wisdom or advice would be helpful.

Good info here:

<broken link removed>

Thanks for the Glock Forum site. They are definately True Glock Fans. One of the posts seemed to blame it on the extractor rather than recoil spring.

Since 9mm and .40 cal is only $3.00 a 50 difference, I think I will just shoot the .40 and forget about wearing the 9mm casings.

Definately not a limp wrist problem.

Thanks all for the input.

Probably not a recoil spring problem. The 34 and 35 (and 17 and 22) all use
the same 17 lb recoil spring.

You have 3 things different between the 40 and 9mm guns.

Extractor
Ejector
Width of breechface cut

I'm guessing that it's ejector. The 40 ejector hits further out on the case.
AFAIK, you can't buy just the 9mm ejector, you have to buy the housing with it. Not much $, but a little bit more work to swap it out.

40 and 9mm extractors are VERY similar, but if you are having extraction
problems, changing the extractor might help.

I too use a 9mm barrel in my 27, but only for training!!!

The 9mm round is smaller diameter and thus the ejector for the .40cal is not aligned for kicking the 9mm out properly, thus they come out at all sorts of angles and I sometimes catch them down my neck.

A full conversion to 9mm entails: the barrel, extractor, magazines, and the ejector changed. Notice I didn't mention the return spring, it should be fine. I don't think there is more than a minute difference between the slower heavier .40cal, and the supper sonic lighter 9mm recoil to operate the slide. ( I am sure some more knowledgeable here can speak to that, with the physics.)

I would not ever carry a partially converted gun of any make or model as a defense weapon, they will have fail to feed, fail to eject, and other problems that make them not reliable.

G23 with Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags
4000 rds of everything 9mm and still going strong.

NO ejector, extractor, or recoil spring change.
NO unusual ejection, ever

Just sayin'
Tilos

I never said that it doesn't work. I have only had one fail to feed with 1000 rounds through mine. I did however warn that it is not a guaranteed set up to run without a hitch. Glocks are great dependable guns, I carry my 27 everywhere I can, and my 22 is on my hip when I can.
I will not trust my life to any other. But that is just me and my 2 cents.

There are a lot of fine guns. I happen to like the Glock.

MikeIsh:
Yep, Glocks are designed for defense/function.
After-market stuff is designed for gun games with tighter chambers,shooting lead bullets, etc.
As you said, 9mm after-market for fun....Glock 40 for carry.

Just sayin'
Tilos

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews