JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello. My primary CCW is a glock 19 in a Versa Max II holster. I have a glock 17 that I would like to carry when Im off traipsing about in the woods, range wear, and maybe occasional concealed carry. I feel it may be a little big for an IWB holster, so am looking at belt holsters for it. I would like something with a reinforced mouth, no snap retention, a slight cant, and fairly high riding. Ive been looking at the Galco Avenger, but it has no forward cant. Any recommendations?

I like the Kydex holsters for my Glock. A number of people make them from Blade Teck to Uncle Mikes. They have adjustment as to pull pounds on the draw and belt spacers to change the angle of the draw. A little noise on the draw but a solid holster.

Hello,

There are alot of good quality holsters out there and EVERYONE makes them for the G-17.

I use the stock Glock Sport/Combat holster (around $15.00) for daily carry (Glock 17).

For work/classes I use the Safariland 6280 (gun bucket - lol).

I have a 1/2 dozen Blackhawk "Serpa" holsters that I use in class for training
(release is on outside of the holster were your index finger is supposed to go)

I like them for training, but they would work fine for daily use OWB. YYMV

Respectfully,

ORSECTRAIN
"Be Safe Out There!"

For OWB carry you need retention of some sort - passive through tight molding of the holster to the gun, a thumb break, or other locking device (Serpa, finger-lok, etc).

Any kydex rig should cover passive retention

Otherwise - for woods carry and occasional OWB concealment - I'd prefer something like the Bianchi Carry Lok or the Blackhawk Serpa. When I go into the woods, I actually just use my old level 2 duty holster from my rentacop days - it's a Bianchi Duty Lok, it has their Finger Lok mechanism and a thumb break. It's a straight drop holster with a jacket slot attachment, and I use an old duty belt as my wader belt or hiking belt. I'm considering replacing it with a Safariland rig - a 6360 or 6280. The 6360 is a level 3 retention holster - probably overkill for typical Joe Woodsman carry. The safariland rigs are faster than the bianchis.

One of my other favorite OWB rigs is the Galco FLETCH - it's aleather OWB with a thumb break strap with about a 15 degree forward cant. Excellent holster. Anymore though, if I'm not using one of my own IWB rigs, or the old duty holster, I carry OWB with a Galco matrix M7 side snap holster. Very tight fit, very secure on the belt, but easy to take off and put on with the two belt snap straps. It has a very slight forward cant, maybe 5 degrees.

A Blackhawk serpa level 2 or 3 would be a good choice.... but you have to understand how it works and make sure you don't pull a tex grabner or whatever and shoot yourself in the leg ahahahaha.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to go in a different direction and ordered a Lone Wolf SL IWB from Woolfe Gunleather. It looks to be similar to a Versa MAx II but without the long wait. I figured that holster selection is so tricky and different for everyone, so I went with a design that I know works for me. Ill let everyone know what I think of it when I get it. Wait time is supposed to be 2-4 weeks.

I just picked up a Desantis Speed Scabbard for my G17. It fits your requirements. It is very comfortable and I too need it to sit a little higher for concealability. This holster works perfect for me.
I also have a Safariland 5197 which is great but sits too low on my belt for me to conceal. It works great for a belt holster though.

Just received my Lone WOlf SL from Woolfe Gunleather. The quality of the holster is excellent, and it is very comfortable. The fit to the gun is a little on the loose side though, but tightens up when Im wearing it. I contacted the company about it. In their email response I was told that the holster was molded for a gen 1 (I ordered the holster for a gen 1). However on the holster you can clearly see indentations for TWO locking block pins, not one like on a gen 1. A long indentation can also be seen indicating a light rail. I will be keeping the holster, but I wont ever buy from them again, since their email response seems less than honest.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top