JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kinda interesting to see the colours shift.
But, there are a lot of variables, like could there be a "loading" problem here caused by converting counties with comparatively tiny populations to "stuff/100,000".
Statistically, it's akin to using percentages to describe a shift without giving the number that the % change was based on.
Also, all deaths are not necessarily investigated equally, in areas where huge numbers of murders/homicide occur, there can be a tendency (often political) by authorities to push police/DA's to reduce the number of murders by re-classifying them as homicides or even as suicides (easier to solve, better stats).
all murders are homicides, but not all homicides are murder...
.... I guess technically a suicide is a murder so a murder could be a suicide, now add politicians and politics,to the mix and stats can become uuhhh cloudy.

The Author also seems to be using the term "culture" in an odd way that's kinda left hanging. Is it a racial thing, or income thing, or urban/rural thing, or political thing or.......?

An interesting read none-the-less.

Believe there were studies that showed that poverty levels were closer to predicting/tied to crime levels than race, beliefs, and gender.

In short, poor areas=higher rates of crimes=more gun violence by any metric.

Of course those who did the studies claim that it may not be related :rolleyes: but the fact remains, crime rates are much higher in poor areas than in affluent areas

Believe there were studies that showed that poverty levels were closer to predicting/tied to crime levels than race, beliefs, and gender.

In short, poor areas=higher rates of crimes=more gun violence by any metric.

Of course those who did the studies claim that it may not be related :rolleyes: but the fact remains, crime rates are much higher in poor areas than in affluent areas

Yet there are poor areas in places like Maine, where they are poor, but the murder rate and the crime rate are low. Only culture explains that diff, so IMO it may be a case of both being true. Some may be due to circumstance, and some may be related to culture. The question that pops then, is how much of poverty is due to culture?

TLDR:

Black people shoot eachother, White people shoot themselves.

Problems exist in both cultures.

Is there a "black" culture and a "white" culture? How about a "Latino" culture, a "Native American" culture, or an "Asian" culture?

I'm pretty sure generalizations don't serve to describe all elements of cultures involving race or ethnicity. There may be subsets that include or exclude via things like poverty, education, region, heritage, etc. I'm certainly not educated in any of that. And I generally don't like drawing general conclusions based on "studies" or "statistics" but I do find these subjects interesting FWIW...

Is there a "black" culture and a "white" culture? How about a "Latino" culture, a "Native American" culture, or an "Asian" culture?

I'm pretty sure generalizations don't serve to describe all elements of cultures involving race or ethnicity. There may be subsets that include or exclude via things like poverty, education, region, heritage, etc. I'm certainly not educated in any of that. And I generally don't like drawing general conclusions based on "studies" or "statistics" but I do find these subjects interesting FWIW...

There's definitely an educated and uneducated culture, the parallels between who gets educated the most and who does the most crime - I predict that would match the racial demographic data rather closely.

edit to add: If you compound multiple generations of teenage parents, low education, then those kids are teenage pregnancies with low education. Well then what you have is the plight of the taxpayer and self responsible minded voter.

Every culture knows Death....

Death knows no difference in :
Politics...
Gender...
Location...
Social status...
Bank Account Statements...
Job title...
How we viewed ourselves...
Whether you were "good" or "bad" in life...
How we meet Death may be different ...but Death comes to us all.

Live your live well...work both for yourself and your fellow man...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top