JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Way too technical.

Half the population is supposedly women. Then what ever the children supposed population is is what I'd use to calculate the numbers.

Long story short. This is not a private membership range. IE it reaches the entire population of a given area. Like a public park would.

I know you're trying to calculate this for the NRA folks, but they are asking for numbers based on an actual private range.

I'd drop them a number in the 100,000s. Because thats the truth of the matter.

Black blue orange, man women or child, these lanes are for you.

One area I disagree with is not wanting to go after grant money because it requires some work. Why would you not want to get money added to the pool from the government? It just doesn't make sense. Some of that money is MY tax dollars and if it's going to be spent by the government I'd much rather think it went to help build some nice shooting areas and not used for some fat cat's special project that I don't agree with.

Even a few thousand in grant money would shorten the wait by at least a few months to start the work. And the closer the total is to the goal the more incentive it is for people to throw in something. Maybe there is someone (or more than one person) that does have the time and has experience applying for grants that that would be willing to take on the task and only needs to hear of the need. I understand what you are saying and maybe you didn't mean it that way, but sounding like going a grant or two isn't of interest just struck me as wrong.

Mike

One area I disagree with is not wanting to go after grant money because it requires some work. Why would you not want to get money added to the pool from the government? It just doesn't make sense. Some of that money is MY tax dollars and if it's going to be spent by the government I'd much rather think it went to help build some nice shooting areas and not used for some fat cat's special project that I don't agree with.

Even a few thousand in grant money would shorten the wait by at least a few months to start the work. And the closer the total is to the goal the more incentive it is for people to throw in something. Maybe there is someone (or more than one person) that does have the time and has experience applying for grants that that would be willing to take on the task and only needs to hear of the need. I understand what you are saying and maybe you didn't mean it that way, but sounding like going a grant or two isn't of interest just struck me as wrong.

Mike
Good point, Mike. I'm not opposed for more grant money. In fact, I really don't think we'll be able to raise the full amount on our own. It would, however, be the best scenario because it would show the ODF, USFS, BLM, and all other forest agencies, that this is what we want and will take ownership in it to make it happen.

The deadlines for certain grants are at various times throughout the year. We need to be aware of them well ahead of time, learn the details, requirements, do cost estimates, write proposals and gather letters of support all before the deadlines. One is coming up early Dec that would be very appropriate, however, I don't have the time to go balls out to get it done by then. Another one, I feel is very appropriate, is the Pittman-Robertson Act grant which has a deadline later in the year. I'll go for that one! In fact, I'd like to do that grant for the new lanes we're working on with ODF.

Being that this was our first grant, it was good to have it small enough to manage. It gave us the ice breaking experience and will open the doors to bigger and better grants. Looking forward to more good ones to come!

Yeah, I'd love to have a 'grant person' on board! Do I hear any volunteers... Mike? Ha! Just kidding. We'll get one... as we grow.

For now, we gotta do what we can and see where we land. I'll shoot for making up the difference in a grant down the road.

Thanks for that feedback!

Bill

I'd drop them a number in the 100,000s. Because thats the truth of the matter
Reno's spot on.

Many thousands will benefit from not having to dodge bullets while in the woods.

Many more will benefit by seeing other, less safe, unestablished ranges without litter.

How about the hundreds of thousands who will benefit because this range is less prone to start a wildfire or accidental death?

Perspective, cogs! I would argue that millions can and do benefit from the work of TNL at wolf creek.

Have you posted the fundraiser on the lanes? Put big bold signs to upgrade lane 1 and 4. State that the sooner those lanes are upgraded the sooner we can add lanes for everyone to use. I'm sure most people who go shooting there don't actually read any of it but that's worth a shot

Have you posted the fundraiser on the lanes? Put big bold signs to upgrade lane 1 and 4. State that the sooner those lanes are upgraded the sooner we can add lanes for everyone to use. I'm sure most people who go shooting there don't actually read any of it but that's worth a shot
Yeah, if Reno hadn't gotten sick, he was going to post the signs last Sat. I'm sure he'll get to them soon. Here's his idea for the signs. Short, sweet, to the point...

Donate Sign.jpg

Ya, I got them printed and laminated, just need to make a visit up. With Turkey Day around the corner it may be next week.

Good point, Mike. I'm not opposed for more grant money. In fact, I really don't think we'll be able to raise the full amount on our own. It would, however, be the best scenario because it would show the ODF, USFS, BLM, and all other forest agencies, that this is what we want and will take ownership in it to make it happen.

Yeah, I'd love to have a 'grant person' on board! Do I hear any volunteers... Mike? Ha! Just kidding. We'll get one... as we grow.

Thanks for that feedback!

Bill

Ha! I wouldn't even approve my own grant request if I wrote it. :D I did do a quick Google search on grants and couldn't find any that seemed to apply to this type of land use. I only went through several different hits and mostly what I saw was grants for creating cheap housing, improving transportation (probably so people could get to the cheap housing) and having to do with Native American improvement. I've got Cherokee in me but probably not enough to make a difference. :) My wife has dealt with grants in the distant past but she is too busy helping fight all of the PETA and other anti-animal group legislation trying to be put into law (pretty soon we won't be able to own guns OR have pets if those groups have their way) although she might have some suggestions. Especially if we can get to Wolf Creek and actually shoot there.

You are welcome for the feedback and thanks for not taking it the wrong way.

Mike

Ha! I wouldn't even approve my own grant request if I wrote it. :D I did do a quick Google search on grants and couldn't find any that seemed to apply to this type of land use. I only went through several different hits and mostly what I saw was grants for creating cheap housing, improving transportation (probably so people could get to the cheap housing) and having to do with Native American improvement. I've got Cherokee in me but probably not enough to make a difference. :) My wife has dealt with grants in the distant past but she is too busy helping fight all of the PETA and other anti-animal group legislation trying to be put into law (pretty soon we won't be able to own guns OR have pets if those groups have their way) although she might have some suggestions. Especially if we can get to Wolf Creek and actually shoot there.

You are welcome for the feedback and thanks for not taking it the wrong way.

Mike
Ya, finding one that is designed for what we're doing is practically non-existant! Closest ones are the NRA Foundation range improvements and the Pittman-Robertson Act grants (there might be one from Cabela's but not sure about that yet). The Pittman-Robertson grant comes from a portion of all ammo we buy. It goes to hunting conservation and the shooting sports. The former head of Hunter Ed at ODFW recommended we seek that grant to help with providing shooting places on public lands. It's perfect for our application!

Our organization is kind of a new one and a bit different. Very few non-profits are focused specifically on promoting responsible shooting on public lands. Some organizations touch on the subject but not many get their hands dirty with trying to find solution. So, very few grants are written for this kind of solution (because, they don't realize this IS a solution... yet!).

Help us improve North Fork Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes! Tillamook State Forest.

Full details in the video and web page.

Wolf Creek Fundraiser

I am throwing these ideas out here let me know if any of these might be doable:

1. Can donation signs be put up at local local gun shops.

2. Would some LGSs be willing to donate a small percentage of sales during a certain period of time, weekend sales event, etc.

3. What about a silent auction using CharityAuctionsToday | Online and Mobile Auctions Made Easy or similar website, I will donate some gun parts and ammo for such an auction?

4. Can Northwest Firearms provide separate classified section for members who want to sell parts, ammo or firearms and donate proceeds of sales to restoration effort?

I am throwing these ideas out here let me know if any of these might be doable:

1. Can donation signs be put up at local local gun shops.

2. Would some LGSs be willing to donate a small percentage of sales during a certain period of time, weekend sales event, etc.

3. What about a silent auction using CharityAuctionsToday | Online and Mobile Auctions Made Easy or similar website, I will donate some gun parts and ammo for such an auction?

4. Can Northwest Firearms provide separate classified section for members who want to sell parts, ammo or firearms and donate proceeds of sales to restoration effort?
1 & 2 are very doable. 3 is a good idea, however, we'll be doing that at our Annual Fundraiser in March, when we'll have plenty of time to promote and arrange for auction items well in advance. 4... At this time, I have no idea how that would work.

Nice ideas, arak! Love it! I'll prep some fliers and start talking to some shops!

Bill

1 & 2 are very doable. 3 is a good idea, however, we'll be doing that at our Annual Fundraiser in March, when we'll have plenty of time to promote and arrange for auction items well in advance. 4... At this time, I have no idea how that would work.

Nice ideas, arak! Love it! I'll prep some fliers and start talking to some shops!

Bill
Give us plenty of notice about the fundraiser. I would like to donate something out of my collection of stuff and attend the event too! I am visiting my LGS tomorrow and will ask him what he thinks about putting up a flier. If he is open to the idea I will give you his info.

Bill
Also let us know if you can figure out a method so that so donors could leverage their donation by partially or fully matching donations made by others. Kex Kids Fund does a lot of this. For Example on Friday Nov 30th I agreed to match $.25 on the dollar up to $100 for donations made by noon on Sunday Dec 2nd. So if $400 were raised then I would donate the $100.

I am better able to use a shovel and follow orders than give money...
I did manage to take about half the brass off lane 4 the other night before darkness fell.

For clarity, it was more than just my spent casings that I picked up.

Way too technical.

Half the population is supposedly women. Then what ever the children supposed population is is what I'd use to calculate the numbers.

Long story short. This is not a private membership range. IE it reaches the entire population of a given area. Like a public park would.

I know you're trying to calculate this for the NRA folks, but they are asking for numbers based on an actual private range.

I'd drop them a number in the 100,000s. Because thats the truth of the matter.

Black blue orange, man women or child, these lanes are for you.
You forgot purple people!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads