JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright Boys. Jones creek has gotten really really bad the last few times I have been up there. We always haul away a few bags of trash but there is so much crap up there it really needs a dump trailer and a crew to spend the day.

Broken Glass, People dumping trash, shooting appliances and leaving all kinds of junk out there is how these spots get shut down.

I would like to organize a clean up day and if anyone has a dump trailer or dump truck that we could use to haul it away, I will be happy to pay dumpage fees.

With English Pit set to close this is one of the last 100 yard plus places to shoot in this area. Lets clean it up before we lose it.

Location - 45.68292017859647, -122.28434012517673

Thanks,

Last Edited:
I did some digging and a 5 cubic yard dump truck is about $500 a day and if gotten on a Friday would be a 3 day (They aren't open saturday or sunday). With dumpage fees it would be around $2000 total to rent and then clean this sucker up. That is, unless anyone has equipment we can borrow.

@Awrig6

I'm not available for this one. Sorry. I'm smothered in the final details of dropping in a shooting range in the Santiam State Forest and about to finalize all the details. I can't get side tracked or might not make the deadline for the NRA Foundation grant (Oct 31).

If you work with the DNR in the Yacolt Burn State Forest, there's a few hoops to jump through, but they would cover disposal for you. It would probably be that you stack all trash bags along the roadway and the prison inmate crews come pick it up, or, they might provide a dumpster. You would all be covered on their insurance if there was an injury. The hours you spend volunteering will be counted toward your annual total of 24 volunteer hours to qualify for a free Discover Pass. And they would provide the trash bags as well.

The down side; You'll be required to wear the mask during the cleanup if you can't maintain 6 feet apart (that might change soon to be an absolute no matter how far apart, but I haven't heard yet). If anyone shares a tool, it will have to be sanitized and witnessed before it's handed off. Everyone needs to sign in on the volunteer sheet (normal procedure anyway). You need to hold a safety meeting before you start (normal also).

Still, if you want to go that route, I'll be happy to provide you with contact information.

My suggestion...

Don't let DNR know you are planning for a group cleanup. If you do, they will call it an 'Event' and you will be required to go through all the paperwork and procedures.​
Instead, scale it down to just a handful of folks who are going out for a group shoot. While you're there, bag up as much as you can reasonably take in 2 to 3 trucks. Run the trash to the Washougal landfill and pay the weight fee (it's the most reasonable fee I've seen in Oregon and Washington and won't be much per truck). Ask volunteers to chip in a few bucks to help cover the cost at the dump.​
Then pick a 2nd and/or 3rd day to do the same.​
Any people who show up to shoot, who are not part of your group, will either have to wait till you're done or join you to help get done sooner.​
When you're done, trucks loaded and ready to roll, break out the guns and targets and enjoy your reward for a job well done!​

This way, you're just there to recreate and are doing what everyone should do when they recreate... cleaning up as they go.

Enjoy! Have fun! And Trash No Land!!!

PS: Pics! Take pics before and after!

Bill

Yea we can do it on Saturday or Sunday morning (Get there around 630 AM before anyone can start shooting.

Let me know who is interested so I can start putting something together and nail down a date.

I am thinking late November/early December would be good to shoot for. After Elk season so it should be pretty quiet up there.
The Elk hunters will be way up North of the Arrowhead Pit area, so I wouldn't worry about bothering them. It could be that you miss out on a couple of volunteers because of hunting, but not many.

I got to thinking about trash disposal, and I think you're fine to simply stack it all along the roadway. I can call the Warden when your done and ask him to send a work crew. I see the Youth Corp does that often, so this is no different. Just let me know when you're done and I'll make the call that "Someone did a clean up and stacked the bags... Can you go get them?" The Warden is cool and is a big supporter of recreational shooting and our 2A rights. It'll be no problem for him.

I'll be watching for a firm date and do my best to be there. I'll be happy to supply plenty of trash bags, even if I can't be there. I'll also promote it on the Trash No Land Facebook page and try to muster up some volunteers.

Bill

The Elk hunters will be way up North of the Arrowhead Pit area, so I wouldn't worry about bothering them. It could be that you miss out on a couple of volunteers because of hunting, but not many.

I got to thinking about trash disposal, and I think you're fine to simply stack it all along the roadway. I can call the Warden when your done and ask him to send a work crew. I see the Youth Corp does that often, so this is no different. Just let me know when you're done and I'll make the call that "Someone did a clean up and stacked the bags... Can you go get them?" The Warden is cool and is a big supporter of recreational shooting and our 2A rights. It'll be no problem for him.

I'll be watching for a firm date and do my best to be there. I'll be happy to supply plenty of trash bags, even if I can't be there. I'll also promote it on the Trash No Land Facebook page and try to muster up some volunteers.

Bill
Thank you so much! One of the problems is oversized junk that will not fit in a trash bag. If we were to pile the oversized stuff on the road would they be able to haul it? Or does it need to be in bags.

Thanks again for the Advice Cogs. Guys like you are why we still have places to shoot!

Thank you so much! One of the problems is oversized junk that will not fit in a trash bag. If we were to pile the oversized stuff on the road would they be able to haul it? Or does it need to be in bags.

Thanks again for the Advice Cogs. Guys like you are why we still have places to shoot!
Nah. Don't need bags for the big stuff. Those inmates are pretty muscular and can heft the big stuff into the truck no problem!

Thanks!

Was uo here yesterday morning doing some work and cleaning come back to this BS.

I swear to god if u catch some bubblegum up here dumping or shooting TVs hes going to be eating through a straw for the next year.

20210926_070616.jpg 20210926_070601.jpg

Was uo here yesterday morning doing some work and cleaning come back to this BS.

I swear to god if u catch some bubblegum up here dumping or shooting TVs hes going to be eating through a straw for the next year.

View attachment 1039167 View attachment 1039169
Wow, I didnt see nearly that much trash at my spot, at most there was an old wifi router, thanks for picking that sh*t up @Awrig6

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top