JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, in a bit I'm going to need to replace our primary, full sized pickup. I still have life on the current rig, but I am getting the financial ducks in a row for the replacement and starting to do the deep research I engage in before buying a vehicle. We've always saved up for a low mileage, used vehicle, paid cash (debt is taboo for reasons I won't go into here), and meticulously maintain/ran a vehicle until it was dead. Then rinse and repeat.

What I am driving now is a 2004 Ford F150. With very few exception, it has been an absolute workhorse. Beyond basic maintenance, I just haven't had all that much trouble with it. I use it for commuting, to hauling all kinds of things, working around the property, et al. Considering how well this one worked out, I'm heavily leaning towards another Ford F150, just a newer one. That said, I am not wed to that make or model, and am open to other options.

The parameters are:

• Full sized pickup.
  • 4x4. (This is an absolute must where we are.)
  • Crew cab. (Our current rig doesn't have this, but I bought it before Potatoheads were born, so now it is something we'd need just in case. Most of the transport of lil' people is done in the Mrs rig though.)
  • Gasoline powered.
  • Readily available parts.
  • Decent after market support is a plus, but not a deal-breaker.
  • Nothing particularly weird that prevents me from doing basic maintenance on said. Any major work, though, I have a local fellow work on anyway.
Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks all!

Just curious, is your 04 a 3v 5.4?

my brother picked up a 99' f250 4x4 with the v10 in it for 500.00 in 2009 it had 150k on it at that time and needed the intake fixed where the thermostat was mounted., and needed to be hosed out from all the horse manure inside it. took us about 30 min to patch the hole. But three days to get it to smell right inside. It was a ranch truck and it was ran hard. he ran it for years as a welding rig and would pull a small trailer behind it to stay in at whatever job he was on. he put another 150k+ on it and had to rebuild the trans once when he was in Oklahoma city. He did a little maintenance to it but not much. When he finally quit chasing pipeline he sold it for 2500.00
2012-02-21_13-58-26_994.jpg

you may not need a f250/350 but if you want a truck that is tough as nails and fairly cheep used you can't beat em.

I have a 1995 F-150 XLT, 302 motor with automatic trans, long box 2WD(didn't need 4WD at the time).I paid $12k for the old girl in 1998 with 15,000 miles on her. Now she's at 193,000 with a U Joint, thermostat and a recent radiator as her only major issues. Absolutely the best vehicle I've ever owned.

I have a 1995 F-150 XLT, 302 motor with automatic trans, long box 2WD(didn't need 4WD at the time).I paid $12k for the old girl in 1998 with 15,000 miles on her. Now she's at 193,000 with a U Joint, thermostat and a recent radiator as her only major issues. Absolutely the best vehicle I've ever owned.
mid 90s fords are great trucks

my brother picked up a 99' f250 4x4 with the v10 in it for 500.00 in 2009 it had 150k on it at that time and needed the intake fixed where the thermostat was mounted., and needed to be hosed out from all the horse manure inside it. took us about 30 min to patch the hole. But three days to get it to smell right inside. It was a ranch truck and it was ran hard. he ran it for years as a welding rig and would pull a small trailer behind it to stay in at whatever job he was on. he put another 150k+ on it and had to rebuild the trans once when he was in Oklahoma city. He did a little maintenance to it but not much. When he finally quit chasing pipeline he sold it for 2500.00
View attachment 480900

you may not need a f250/350 but if you want a truck that is tough as nails and fairly cheep used you can't beat em.
I like stories like this. Them
V10 get about .35 miles to the gallon.

My 2003 got 10-12mpg loaded, and 19-21 unloaded on the highway. But I didn't buy it for gas mileage I got it to work and it did that very well. Only reason I sold it was to get a diesel and move up from a 250 xlt to lariot f350 and heated seats for my wife.

We've always saved up for a low mileage, used vehicle, paid cash (debt is taboo for reasons I won't go into here), and meticulously maintain/ran a vehicle until it was dead. Then rinse and repeat.

This is EXACTLY how we've purchased vehicles for MANY years. That, and the research y and maintenance that you mentioned. Have saved tens of thousands over the years.

I currently drive an '01 Chevy Silverado z71 with 150,000+ miles on it (we sold the Duramax when we got rid of the fifth wheel camper and horse trailer). The wife and both kids drive Subarus and LOVE them.

Having had Dodge and Ford, ibcan say both do exceptionally well, especially the diesels! I had a GMC 3500, but had so many issues with the fuel system and blowing transmitions, I sold it and was glad to be rid of it! If you want a tough long lasting truck, Ford or Dodge, if you want a car with a bed on the back, GM! My Current rigs, a pair of Durangos, I have the SRT-8 and the STX, both have plenty of power and get exceptional fuel mileage, the big Hemi actually gets better miles then the V-6! The V-6 has no problems hauling my 6500 pound boat! If I was you OP, I would get a short bed Ram quad cab 4X4 Hemi and never look back! I have a major issue with the newer Ford's, go to YouTube and watch the crash tests of the Ford F-150s, and ask your self if you would trust them to keep the kiddos safe, and have a look at corrosion issues thanks to the aluminum and bad ground issues! Not an good combo!

I've owned Ford, Chevy, GMC & Ram trucks throughout the years. I'd say, today, they are all equally good at what trucks are supposed to do. It's pretty much pick the one you like the best that has the options you want or need.

My last three trucks have been Rams and I was/am very happy with them.

I had a 2007 MegaCab with the 5.7L HEMI and it was a great road and off road truck. I put almost 250K miles on it before I traded it in. I maintained it and did not experience any major component failures at all.

SwiftyRam06_zps974354e5.jpg

I traded the 2007 in on a 2014 Big Horn crewcab with the 6.4L HEMI in it. Great truck! The value was there, the HEMI ran fantastic and it died wayyyy too soon, just 2 weeks shy of 2 years of ownership.

052516%20Cedar%20Ram%2002_zps7vguppv3.jpg

3/15/17 at approximately 6:10 AM in NE PDX:

20170315_063023_zpspiv0r1tl.jpg

So now I have a 2017 Ram crewcab with the 6.7L Cummins. We decided (well, I decided) it was time for another diesel as we were considering a larger trailer.

20170721_104033_zpsr6uwfzrj.jpg

I'm not saying buy a Ram but definitely don't pass them up as you start shopping.

Good luck!

If I was you OP, I would get a short bed Ram quad cab 4X4 Hemi and never look back!

I bought exactly that in a 2015 with low miles this winter and it's handy as hell. It's comfortable and is slightly higher than the older models which gives great visibility and good ground clearance. I just put a topper on it and the short bed is a bit over 6' so it's sleepable in a pinch.
upload_2018-7-24_9-41-52.jpeg

My other Ram is a 1997 2500 V10 with a standard cab and bed. It can pull a mountain, but the mileage isn't as good as the 5.7 Hemi in my "new" truck. Except for consumables (oil, wipers, tires, breaks, etc.) all it needed was a new fuel sensor. Like all newer vehicles the fuel sensor is located in the fuel pump, which is located in the fuel tank. It's a beotch to get to, but all trucks have this problem. Other than that the truck feels tight and has held up like a champ.

The truth is that they are all pretty good and all have tradeoffs. Seems to me the main differences are that Chevy, Nissan, Toyota seem better suited for an urban environment, Ford and Ram seem better suited for rural areas. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them these days. I have a Ram 1500 now and like it. The Hemi engine floats between 4 and 8 cylinders based on demand and I get the advertised mileage. No complaints.
I agree with this post.
I say go with whomever will give you the best deal.

...of course that early-mid 1940's truck in your avatar wouldn't be a bad choice, either Country Gent....restored back to working condition, that is. ;)

Last Edited:
The truth is that they are all pretty good and all have tradeoffs. Seems to me the main differences are that Chevy, Nissan, Toyota seem better suited for an urban environment, Ford and Ram seem better suited for rural areas. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them these days. I have a Ram 1500 now and like it. The Hemi engine floats between 4 and 8 cylinders based on demand and I get the advertised mileage. No complaints.
Hey hey hey... They're ALL mall rated to some degree. Just love your truck, whatever it may be, right? It's all good.

If economy is important the newest 6 cyl F150 is boasting 25mpg hwy and 20 in town. My work truck/daily driver is an 07 F150 non turbo 6 cyl. It is constantly loaded down with ~1500+ lbs of tools and automotive batteries plus a cargo glide. We did put overloads on it.

I've put about 50,000 miles on it in a year and a half, it had 60k on the odom when we bought it. Tires, brakes, and a front end alignment are all its needed besides oil changes and a tranny flush. It has a stupid amount of power for a 6 cyl. I would expect it to be a gutless wonder, but it isn't. We will be adding another 150 to the fleet this year, because when compared to the former front runner, the Ford is the better option payload wise, with identical fuel econ ratings.

The downside, it turns like a pregnant yak. Maneuvering in tight spaces sucks, but most full size trucks are that way.

The people i run into that have newer f150s like em.

That said... I like current chevy's interiors and options more, everything from the seats to control layouts seem geared toward humans, ergonomically.

Dodges are soso. Current crop are not horrible from ergo standpoint, and I just read a while back that truck sales for Dodge/Ram half tons is so slow they are practically giving them away. Base model 1500 Rams going for $19k.

And then theres Toyota. I do not love their interiors, but damned if they are not the most reliable rigs on the road. And the off road guys love them like they were Jesus embodied in sheet metal. American made to boot.

FWIW, I'm on my third F150 although it's my first 4x4 version. I've also had two Rangers and a Mazda B4000 which is a Ranger in every way but name.
So I like Ford trucks and I like their cars and other than stating that I've had great luck with them all there's not much for me to add.
Good luck on the hunt.

My trucks have always been Fords, except for my early 1950s Chevys (had four of them running at one time and would just switch license plates). My current is a 1993 F250 XLT extended cab, 460 ci, 5 speed manual, 4x4 with 52k. Great shape, but turning radius like a school bus - really sux. I don't drive it much, but sure comes in handy for hauling and towing. Rides great on the highway and the back seat is sufficient for adults on short drives. I am planning on putting in a air load suspension helper/leveler with inboard controls for the compressor.

If you want a truck to last get a manual transmission and a proven V8 or diesel. V6 in a Toyota works OK. If getting a Ford, go with a F250 or F350. They are built way tougher than the F150s. This probably applies to Chevy and Dodges too, go with a 3/4 ton or more. For continued happiness with your purchase, check the turning radius. I might have passed on the 1993 if I had tried it out in a parking lot first.

I am a big fan of the Ford and Toyota's. I have owned two Expedition's and one Excursion. Loved the V10 and would love to find a older nice V10 F250.
Good news is all the new ones seem to be pretty good. I almost traded my 2016 Taurus Limited for a 2016 F150, but I couldn't d justify going in debt for a truck....

I agree with the Fords. Put 257,000 on our Expedition with no problems. Replace it with a F-150 ECO Boost V6 and so far we love the truck. Very pleasantly shocked with good mileage (for a truck) and boy can it tow. You can find very good deals on some of the trucks sitting at the dealers lots. We found a 16 that had been at the dealer for 13 months and got an amazing deal. Good luck and I think you opened a can of worms with a truck question. It like blondes verses brunets verses red heads.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR