JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, in a bit I'm going to need to replace our primary, full sized pickup. I still have life on the current rig, but I am getting the financial ducks in a row for the replacement and starting to do the deep research I engage in before buying a vehicle. We've always saved up for a low mileage, used vehicle, paid cash (debt is taboo for reasons I won't go into here), and meticulously maintain/ran a vehicle until it was dead. Then rinse and repeat.

What I am driving now is a 2004 Ford F150. With very few exception, it has been an absolute workhorse. Beyond basic maintenance, I just haven't had all that much trouble with it. I use it for commuting, to hauling all kinds of things, working around the property, et al. Considering how well this one worked out, I'm heavily leaning towards another Ford F150, just a newer one. That said, I am not wed to that make or model, and am open to other options.

The parameters are:

• Full sized pickup.
  • 4x4. (This is an absolute must where we are.)
  • Crew cab. (Our current rig doesn't have this, but I bought it before Potatoheads were born, so now it is something we'd need just in case. Most of the transport of lil' people is done in the Mrs rig though.)
  • Gasoline powered.
  • Readily available parts.
  • Decent after market support is a plus, but not a deal-breaker.
  • Nothing particularly weird that prevents me from doing basic maintenance on said. Any major work, though, I have a local fellow work on anyway.
Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks all!

The truth is that they are all pretty good and all have tradeoffs. Seems to me the main differences are that Chevy, Nissan, Toyota seem better suited for an urban environment, Ford and Ram seem better suited for rural areas. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them these days. I have a Ram 1500 now and like it. The Hemi engine floats between 4 and 8 cylinders based on demand and I get the advertised mileage. No complaints.

IMO pick whatever floats your boat. For me a GM, Ford or Toyota product would be the way to go. If you tow that would change what I was looking for also.

Toyota, GM, Dodge, Ford. not particularly in that order except toyota. toyotas are great.

so, my opinion on GM is biased. i have to fix so many of them that IDK what to think of them anymore other than the 1999/2000 to early 2007 seem to be the best of them as far as gas pickups.

my dads early 2007 1/2 ton crew cab has been perfect other than a fuel pump and an EVAP cannister vent valve. it almost has 90k on it.

if you buy anything, maintenance is EVERYTHING. neglect is the killer.

-the resident NWFA GM Technician.

P.S. i own a Toyota. its great. i also have a 98 f150 5.4L 4x4 with over 200k miles on it. had it for 11 years. had to do head gaskets at 195k fix a couple spark plug threads and do a few sets of wheel hub bearings. other than that, basic maintenance. theyre great trucks

I'm on my 3rd Tundra now. Had a 2001 access cab, 2006 double cab, 2015 double cab. All 3 have been TRD models and I can't say Ive ever driven a more off-road capable truck. My 2015 has a tighter turning radius than my Dads 4Runner. My only complaint is that you cant get the 6 1/2 bed with the crewmax cab. The double cab is plenty good to haul people (much more room than the current F150 in the extended cab version ) just not as comfy as a crewmax.

With the 5.7 V8, The thing hauls azz when needed and is a great towing vehicle. My previous two Tundras were underpowered with the 4.7 V8 when it came to towing. With the 5.7, I can haul a 21ft North River without a problem. No free lunch, gas mileage sucks. I drive mostly two lane country highways and in town. I average about 15.5 mpg. I got 17.2 once on I90 going downhill with a 30 knot tailwind.

I had a 1985 Silverado heavy 3/4 ton long bed that I loved. Got worse gas mileage and it aged quick. I also had a 93 Camry that I sold with 365k miles. Mad me try a Toyota pickup and Ive been equally pleased. There are Tundras that have lots of miles and keep going. They don't have as many bells and whistles, but they are comparably cheaper than similarly equipped trucks.

So, in a bit I'm going to need to replace our primary, full sized pickup. I still have life on the current rig, but I am getting the financial ducks in a row for the replacement and starting to do the deep research I engage in before buying a vehicle. We've always saved up for a low mileage, used vehicle, paid cash (debt is taboo for reasons I won't go into here), and meticulously maintain/ran a vehicle until it was dead. Then rinse and repeat.

What I am driving now is a 2004 Ford F150. With very few exception, it has been an absolute workhorse. Beyond basic maintenance, I just haven't had all that much trouble with it. I use it for commuting, to hauling all kinds of things, working around the property, et al. Considering how well this one worked out, I'm heavily leaning towards another Ford F150, just a newer one. That said, I am not wed to that make or model, and am open to other options.

The parameters are:

• Full sized pickup.
  • 4x4. (This is an absolute must where we are.)
  • Crew cab. (Our current rig doesn't have this, but I bought it before Potatoheads were born, so now it is something we'd need just in case. Most of the transport of lil' people is done in the Mrs rig though.)
  • Gasoline powered.
  • Readily available parts.
  • Decent after market support is a plus, but not a deal-breaker.
  • Nothing particularly weird that prevents me from doing basic maintenance on said. Any major work, though, I have a local fellow work on anyway.
Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks all!

I'm also looking to replace my rig . I prefer no options (less to go wrong)is there anything with out power windows now ?

I like the looks of the current Tundra.
And their track record speaks for itself.
I bought a new Taco (little brother) a few years ago and it has been outstanding.

Test drive the Tundra.

Take a look at the F-150 with the EcoBoost. Worth a test drive IMHO.

IMO gaser small displacement turbo motors are not known for longevity nor would I want to work on one. I would stick with a traditional motor. If it was a "drive it till the warranty is up" kind of truck that he was looking for the F150 eco would be high on the list.

I went Tahoe and bought a trailer for when I need pick up functionality. With the third row I get 9 passenger capability (which I sometimes needed when I chaperon) When i'm not trailered-up, it totes the kids and dog around quite nicely.
All mechanical things suck. They wear out, have quirks, etc. That being said, be happy with your purchase.
As always, your mileage may vary.

IMG_20160521_103159.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews