JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry if this has already been commented on, but this is a long thread. I'm wondering if anyone has considered using prophylactic potassium iodide? Any medical experts, or anybody else, care to chime in on that idea? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The only reason to take potassium iodine is to satisfy the thyroids need for iodine. Since radioactive I-131 is a gas, there's really no reason to expect it to be an issue this far away and this long after the release from Fukushima.

To be honest, you really need to understand the reason behind the pills. Do yourself a favor and find out more about radioiodine, it's methods of production, decay chain, half life, biological interaction, and effects before you try remedial action.

Apologies if this has already been posted:

"Gundersen: All of Japan is contaminated, gov't covering up enormous exposures to public; Epidemic is just beginning — Evacuee: We are in fact dying in Fukushima; What happened to us will soon affect all Japanese people"

<broken link removed>

Also: 51 Sailors from USS Ronald Reagan Suffering Thyroid Cancer, Leukemia, Brain Tumors After Participating in Fukushima Nuclear Rescue Efforts

December 12, 2013 -- (TRN Turner Radio Network ) -- Crew members in their mid-20's from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan are coming down with all sorts of radiation-related illnesses after being deployed less than 3 years ago to assist with earthquake rescue operations off the coast of Japan in 2011. It looks as though the onboard desalinization systems that take salt out of seawater to make it drinkable, were taking-in radioactive water from the ocean for the crew to drink, cook with and bath-in, before anyone realized there was a massive radiation spill into the ocean.

Charles Bonner, attorney representing sailors from the USS Ronald Reagan said "the crew members were not only going to the rescue by jumping into the water and rescuing people out of the water, but they were drinking desalinated sea water, bathing in it, until finally the captain of the USS Ronald Reagan alarmed people that they were encountering high levels of radiation."

Bonner says that as a result of this exposure, the 51 sailors have come down with a host of medical problems, "They have testicular cancer, they have thyroid cancers, they have leukemias, they have rectal and gynecological bleeding, a host of problems that they did not have before ... people are going blind, pilots who had perfect eyesight but now have tumors on the brain. And it's only been 3 years since they went in." Bonner pointed out that these service men and women are young people, ages 21, 22, 23 years old and no one in their family had ever suffered any of these kinds of illnesses before.

At present, 51 sailors from the USS Ronald Reagan are named as Plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEEPCO) and Bonner says he anticipates adding twenty additional Sailors soon, bringing the total to 70 to 75 because "The Japanese government is in a major conspiracy with Tepco to hide and conceal the true facts."

One thing is for certain, I would hate to be in Hawaii!

Fukushima-Contamination-Pacific-Ocean.jpg
fukushima_radiation_map.jpg

The only reason to take potassium iodine is to satisfy the thyroids need for iodine. Since radioactive I-131 is a gas, there's really no reason to expect it to be an issue this far away and this long after the release from Fukushima.

To be honest, you really need to understand the reason behind the pills. Do yourself a favor and find out more about radioiodine, it's methods of production, decay chain, half life, biological interaction, and effects before you try remedial action.

Thank you for your comments. This article contained some good info:

How to Reduce Your Risk of Radiation from Fukushima Washington's Blog

Looks like it's a big fat no on the KI.

Apologies if this has already been posted:

"Gundersen: All of Japan is contaminated, gov&rsquo;t covering up enormous exposures to public; Epidemic is just beginning &mdash; Evacuee: We are in fact dying in Fukushima; What happened to us will soon affect all Japanese people"

<broken link removed>

Also: 51 Sailors from USS Ronald Reagan Suffering Thyroid Cancer, Leukemia, Brain Tumors After Participating in Fukushima Nuclear Rescue Efforts

December 12, 2013 -- (TRN Turner Radio Network ) -- Crew members in their mid-20's from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan are coming down with all sorts of radiation-related illnesses after being deployed less than 3 years ago to assist with earthquake rescue operations off the coast of Japan in 2011. It looks as though the onboard desalinization systems that take salt out of seawater to make it drinkable, were taking-in radioactive water from the ocean for the crew to drink, cook with and bath-in, before anyone realized there was a massive radiation spill into the ocean.

Charles Bonner, attorney representing sailors from the USS Ronald Reagan said "the crew members were not only going to the rescue by jumping into the water and rescuing people out of the water, but they were drinking desalinated sea water, bathing in it, until finally the captain of the USS Ronald Reagan alarmed people that they were encountering high levels of radiation."

Bonner says that as a result of this exposure, the 51 sailors have come down with a host of medical problems, "They have testicular cancer, they have thyroid cancers, they have leukemias, they have rectal and gynecological bleeding, a host of problems that they did not have before ... people are going blind, pilots who had perfect eyesight but now have tumors on the brain. And it&rsquo;s only been 3 years since they went in." Bonner pointed out that these service men and women are young people, ages 21, 22, 23 years old and no one in their family had ever suffered any of these kinds of illnesses before.

At present, 51 sailors from the USS Ronald Reagan are named as Plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEEPCO) and Bonner says he anticipates adding twenty additional Sailors soon, bringing the total to 70 to 75 because "The Japanese government is in a major conspiracy with Tepco to hide and conceal the true facts."

Great information. Thank you.
Pretty sad state of affairs.

Pretty sad state of affairs.

Yup. Estimating ten half-life cycles to essentially reduce the radioisotope to nothing active can pretty much result in the conclusion that enough radioactive material has been introduced into the ecosystem to virtually sterilize the planet. The is no cure. All one can do is move the radioactive waste from one place to another. I think we have pretty much run out of places that do not impose deadly radioisotopes onto some human life. Well done those that have backed nuclear power. Short term gains sometimes have a severe price tag. Instead of sinking resources into prepping, perhaps it might be more enjoyable to spend it on enjoyment while there is still the opportunity.

Are you kidding? Since when has our government ever cared about our Navy men/women or Army being exposed to toxic brew? That is laughable. Troops in Iraq posing for pictures sitting atop Iraqi tanks decimated by Depleted Uranium rounds comes to mind. Expendable/Disposable people, always. Then "Gulf War Syndrome" - gee we don't know how or why troops are getting sick! Really? Uranium, and then Mercury aren't the most toxic elements to human life? What a mystery.

Update - http://rt.com/news/fukushima-record-radiation-leak-616/

Sorry Burt, gotta call you on BS this time. "The government" doesn't take air and water samples on a Navy ship. They're real flesh and blood enlisted men and women. The nukes are well educated and trained. The ELTs (Engineering Lab Technicians) take the samples and do the analysis. Radiation is so simple to detect, especially on a nuclear powered ship, that it would be impossible for them to not know the radiological conditions around them.

Sitting on top of a tank that was hit with DU rounds, I'd do it in a New York minute. I've personally handled DU many times. My signature is also on many dozens of shipments of DU penetrator parts, pieces and targets.

There are reasons to be cautious and skeptical, but we need to balance what is real against that which is not.

Sorry Burt, gotta call you on BS this time. "The government" doesn't take air and water samples on a Navy ship. They're real flesh and blood enlisted men and women. The nukes are well educated and trained. The ELTs (Engineering Lab Technicians) take the samples and do the analysis. Radiation is so simple to detect, especially on a nuclear powered ship, that it would be impossible for them to not know the radiological conditions around them.

Sitting on top of a tank that was hit with DU rounds, I'd do it in a New York minute. I've personally handled DU many times. My signature is also on many dozens of shipments of DU penetrator parts, pieces and targets.

There are reasons to be cautious and skeptical, but we need to balance what is real against that which is not.

This, below, is real.

the 51 sailors have come down with a host of medical problems, "They have testicular cancer, they have thyroid cancers, they have leukemias, they have rectal and gynecological bleeding, a host of problems that they did not have before ... people are going blind, pilots who had perfect eyesight but now have tumors on the brain. And it&rsquo;s only been

I didn't say they did. I said/implied that our government doesn't give a crap about grunts/jarheads/squids. Never did, never will. Leaving behind vets in Vietnam is a good example in order to avoid having to pay war reparations. There are dozens upon dozens of examples.

"Military men are dumb stupid animals" - Henry Kissinger (one of the criminals who help script wars, but never gets within thousands of miles of one).

Anyone who would enlist to assist the military industrial complex score a few more billion should have their head examined. Unfortunately, there are a lot of misguided fools who do.

fool (f l) n. 1. One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding. 2. One who acts unwisely on a given occasion

Pat Tillman would be a poster boy. Goes to Iraq. Sees it is all a lie and witnesses the atrocities first hand. Speaks out. Gets shot in the back for it. He chose poorly.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/the-christmas-truce-of-1914_122013

In the end, we have more in common with the furthest flung foreign common man than the closest corporate-fascists that presume dominion over our lives. If only the British & Germans realized it was the greed of their own banking houses that had them in the trenches and not some irreconcilable difference amongst themselves... Knowledge is power, ignorance literally can mean death. When will we start being leaders in our homes, communities, counties, and provinces &#8211; driving our own destiny rather than being driven?

I didn't say they did. I said/implied that our government doesn't give a crap about grunts/jarheads/squids. Never did, never will. Leaving behind vets in Vietnam is a good example in order to avoid having to pay war reparations. There are dozens upon dozens of examples.

"Military men are dumb stupid animals" - Henry Kissinger (one of the criminals who help script wars, but never gets within thousands of miles of one).

Anyone who would enlist to assist the military industrial complex score a few more billion should have their head examined. Unfortunately, there are a lot of misguided fools who do.

fool (f l) n. 1. One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding. 2. One who acts unwisely on a given occasion

Pat Tillman would be a poster boy. Goes to Iraq. Sees it is all a lie and witnesses the atrocities first hand. Speaks out. Gets shot in the back. He chose poorly.

We are not fools Burt. I'll leave it at that. There are many good reasons to join the Military.
I would not trade that time for anything. What I learned there could not be taught anyplace else on earth.

Well everyone has their own reasons. Blanket statement of course. I will just say that if anyone who is fighting in an invasion/occupation 7350 miles away and believes they are 'fighting for our freedoms' are indeed brainwashed.

If they are there for a paycheck and their own purposes, that is their deal. Maybe it is like a video game, but more interactive, who knows.

But the sucker sales pitch down at the recruitment center is pure BS.

The entities stealing our freedoms are right here, not some brown cab driver or goat herder that may have objected to the cultivation of opium. The scriptors of wars are your enemy, not some poor sap on the other side of the globe.

Those that support tyranny abroad have absolutely no reason to complain when that same tyranny is turned inward right here.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top