Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ft. Benning (GA) Sign

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by pistolero57, Dec 21, 2009.

1. pistolero57

pistolero57 Kalama, WA Member

2. LibertyorDeath

LibertyorDeath Western Washington Member

What weapons, I had this boating accident.

3. The Duck

The Duck Oregon Active Member

Be it that the sign is pretty dumb in my personal opinion...

But; If you are a military member who lives on base, it is required for you to register your firearm and keep it in the base armory. You are allowed to check it out anytime you wish (within business hours) for your own use.

This policy has been in place for all military bases for years (i.e. 20 or so) with the idea of preventing recent returning personnel and gearing up personnel from going "nuts" (which includes suicide and violence on others).

Many people do not register there guns on base due to the inconvenience of having to go to the armory to check it out, but the policy does serve a valid purpose.

On another side note: The military can screen for previous mental conditions, but in no way can they test the limits of a persons mind and its breaking point. Most military "blanket" policies are spawned from necessity's due to events!

This might start a debate on gun rights.. but hey; if you sign the military contract, deal with what is required...

4. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Why would I have to waive my constitutional rights just so I could work for the government? Sounds ominous to me.

Personally I wish that all of the military members had been armed when that Muslim guy went wacko in Texas recently. I think the outcome would have been different. I think that's the classic proof that "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

$.02

5. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Yea and I am sure Ft Hood has the same policy but that didn't stop a psychiatrist now did it?

SF-

6. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

I wish I had been stationed at that place. The facilities I've been to never offered such convenience. Instead of a 'base' armory with customer service hours it was the unit arms room in the barracks basement. You could sign the weapon out- once you had gone through your chain of command to get a chance to talk to the c.o., get permission, safety briefing, etc, then coordinate a time for the armorer to retrieve it for you, then make sure you're there to turn it back in at whatever time the c.o. or armorer randomly determined was convenient....always a big annoyance to go through. I found it was much easier to store firearms off post. Less hassle that way....oh, and that sign is ridiculous and obviously conceived by an officer. Hopefully some drunk Soldiers will make it go away some weekend soon. That would be an easy target while returning to the barracks after a long night on the town.

7. PosterGuy

PosterGuy Hillsboro Member

It only has to be stored in the arms room if you live in the barracks. You can store it in your quarters on base, just not in the barracks.

You can say what you want about "rights" but the fact is that military members don't live under the same laws. Allowing soldiers to have firearms in the barracks would be DISASTEROUS.

8. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

...preaching to the choir on that; spent 12 years myself.

9. jacknast76

jacknast76 USA New Member

The fact that the sign implies you are a te4rrorist for not registering your firearm(s) is abit over the top.

I have an ominous feeling that'll be the rally cry of the anti gun folks

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Fine... then I'll be a terrorist... if that's how they frame the definition. :D

11. PosterGuy

This was probably put up by some half wit arms room NCO. It's definitely not an official document or approved sign.

12. Shootshellz

Shootshellz Edmonds Member

It makes me ashamed to be an American to think others on this forum believe that just because you are a member of the US armed forces that the Constitution does not apply to same. Where have we as a country gone so wrong in our educational system to allow such garbage thinking? No wonder we are in the toilet morally, economically and spiritually.

13. PosterGuy

What on Gods green earth are you talking about? We don't THINK it doesn't apply the same, we KNOW it doesn't. It's always been that way, and NEEDS to be that way to maintain the greatest military on Earth. We haven't "gone wrong." By your definition, we must have been "wrong" from day 1.

14. Shootshellz

Sir: Please show me where in the US Constitution it specifically exempts members of the US military of protections enumerated in the Bill of Rights. P.S. What use of a great military if it does not stand for the rights of all? Check out the Nazis for a clue........

15. PosterGuy

Sorry, but you are VERY clueless on this matter. How about YOU check out the UCMJ:
    http://www.army.mil/references/UCMJ/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Code_of_Military_Justice

In the words of Ricky Bobby,
    "THAT JUST HAPPENED!"

P.S.-I've always had a theory about argueing. You can tell how strong or weak a person's arguement is by how quickly they reference Nazis.

16. PosterGuy

Military members have an EXTREMELY limited freedom of speech. You can go to jail for disrespecting or bad mouthing the president or your chain of command.

You can have many freedoms limited or temporarily taken away non-judicially. A battalion commander can restrict soldiers to their barracks for a period of time with his or her own authority. And there are many other things...

17. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

The relevant part of the Wikipedia article:

"Effective upon its ratification in 1789, Article I, Section 8 of the United States Constitution provided that Congress has the power to regulate the land and naval forces. On 10 April 1806, the United States Congress enacted 101 Articles of War (which applied to both the Army and the Navy), which were not significantly revised until over a century later. The military justice system continued to operate under the Articles of War until 31 May 1951, when the Uniform Code of Military Justice went into effect.
    The UCMJ was passed by Congress on 5 May 1950, signed into law by President Harry S. Truman, and became effective on 31 May 1951. The word Uniform in the Code's title refers to the congressional intent to make military justice uniform or consistent among the armed services."

18. Shootshellz

Sir: Once again; please cite me where in the US Constitution members of the US military are denied any less protections under the Bill of Rights. By the way, I could care less what our military has to say on the issue. The Nazis had plenty of excuses/policies/laws to excuse eliminating 6 million people.

19. PosterGuy

:thumbup:

20. PosterGuy

And straight into holocaust references, brilliant.

"You know, the Nazi's had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear."
    -Peter Gibbons