JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not legal in Oregon or Washington. Oregon and Washington have different wording for machine gun definition. One shot per "press" vs fed definition of one shot per "actuation" of trigger. Go to Franklin's website, they will not ship to Oregon or Washington.

I remember when this kind of mod was all the rage about oh, 15-20 years ago (maybe more).

Just about any semi-auto that has a secondary sear - and a lot of semi-auto rifles have this - like an AR, AK, mini-14/30, M1A, etc., can be made to fire both on pull and release of the trigger.

I won't get into how, but anyone who knows how these triggers work, can usually figure it out. I used a 0.10" feeler gauge shim in an AK before they became illegal by state laws. At the time, there was a co. selling these commercially.

This is federally legal. Whether your state declares them illegal or not is up to you to find out.

I seem to remember that CA passed a law to ban these mods, and then OR, and maybe WA too (at the time I lived near Seattle and it wasn't illegal then).

I was pretty amazed when I tried it; like a bump-fire stock, the recoil effectively gave you a rate of fire similar to full auto, and yes, if someone heard it, they would think it was full-auto.

The main downside is that it fires on release of the trigger, so you have to be careful about that, as you have to remember that you will almost always have two shots; one when you pull and one when you release. Most of the time it isn't an issue, but you get into the mode where the recoil causes multiple shots, and I could see where an inexperienced or careless person could shoot something, or someone, they didn't intend to.

That said, just an hour with one, was a lot of fun.

The downside of the mod I did, was that you had to take the gun apart enough to get to the trigger to put the shim in, and then take it apart again to get the shim out. There wasn't an easy way to switch between modes without taking the gun apart partially.

Apparently FA has found a way to do this with the selector switch - which is nice, but not rocket surgery either.

I see a lot of calls to the po po when people think someone is playing full auto in the woods

It is legal in OR to shoot full auto firearms if you have the right paperwork - although there are a LOT of people, even gun people - who don't know that select-fire firearms are legal to own and shoot if you jump through the right hoops - so I imagine, yes, that happens from time to time.

The main downside is that it fires on release of the trigger, so you have to be careful about that, as you have to remember that you will almost always have two shots; one when you pull and one when you release. Most of the time it isn't an issue, but you get into the mode where the recoil causes multiple shots, and I could see where an inexperienced or careless person could shoot something, or someone, they didn't intend to.

I was ready to order one. I go to the gunbroker page and check it out a little, find a lower with the binary and three way selector installed.

Then I went to the FA website and looked around a little, and in addition to the usual ban states they don't ship the binary trigger to OR, WA, ND, IA. Those last four were surprising. It looks like Idaho is legal. But banned in North Dakota and Iowa? Those were the most surprising. I don't know what the issue is there, but here it is a technicality regarding the language defining what constitutes a machine gun.

So it is either bumpfire or save up for the real licensed deal. Or learn to move my finger really fast.

I'm not convinced these are illegal in Oregon. Really it is two semi-automatic trigger systems combined: a press trigger and a release trigger. Oh what fun on a 22 LR conversion :)

I'm not convinced these are illegal in Oregon. Really it is two semi-automatic trigger systems combined: a press trigger and a release trigger. Oh what fun on a 22 LR conversion :)
IIRC WA state passed a specific law - I don't remember if Oregon did, but it is possible.

If someone who has better google fu than I do would post the cites for the actual laws, that would be nice, but I assume that since the manufacturer won't ship to Oregon that they know the law prohibits them.

I see someone getting hurt with this gizmo and a big lawsuit later on.
You mean right about when someone has the trigger back and trying to switch it to safe or semi?
As soon as I saw that I thought there could be a problem
I don't see a good outcome if it was used for self defense either

Kinda like trying to stuff the safety pin back into a live grenade.
Personally, I think it's an accident waiting to happen and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near one of these.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top