JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very cool well made rifles. Made when pride was taken in fit and finish. Here's a thought, instead of removing the rust and winding up with bare metal on the buttplate try boiling it and converting the rust .

Good call. The thought never crossed my mind... I must be slipping in my old age.

Thanks for the reminder :)

On similar pieces of lightly rusted metal I have used Evapo-Rust. I apply it carefully with a q-tip and let it soak for ten minutes. Then maybe give it a gentle scrub with a scotch Brite pad.

Noticed what looked like a piece of cloth dangling down from a rafter in one of the barns a couple days ago. Broke out a ladder to pull it down and much to my surprise found it was wrapped around a Remington Model 8. I wiped it down and other than a touch of water damage on the stock and some rust on the buttplate, it appears to be in pretty good shape.

I hit the internet to see what I could learn, and only succeeded in learning that it was made in February of 1929 and that 30 Remington ammunition isn't made any more.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out with the significance of three stamps that look like a 3 leaf clover and with a guesstimate of what to value it at for my insurance...View attachment 838602View attachment 838603View attachment 838604View attachment 838605View attachment 838606View attachment 838607

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have fantasies that one day on the property I'll dig up pirate treasure, or an old cowboy gun, or something. But I'm an hour from the ocean so treasure is likely out of the question. Yet I continue to dream. Awesome find though man!

30 Remington brass and ammunition is sporadically available from some of the boutique manufacturers when times are good. I bought my Model 8 in 30 Remington at the height of a scare and had to wait 2 years to get ammo for it that wasn't collectible.

Nice find! Those are cool guns. You should just get some brass, a lee classic hand loader (assuming you don't have a reloading setup), and a bullet cast to cast your own lead bullets. A quick and dirty search shows some components being very similar to the much more commond 30-30. Lee says this hand loader would work. You could probably find for cheaper if you hunt too: https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-30-30-win.html

1615496679677.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333916795432 This mold should work

1615496839848.png

Nice find! Those are cool guns. You should just get some brass, a lee classic hand loader (assuming you don't have a reloading setup), and a bullet cast to cast your own lead bullets. A quick and dirty search shows some components being very similar to the much more commond 30-30. Lee says this hand loader would work. You could probably find for cheaper if you hunt too: https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-30-30-win.html

View attachment 841540

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333916795432 This mold should work

View attachment 841544
You can use all 30-30 loading data for the the 30 Remington as it is a rimless clone of 30-30. If you are so inclined, you can even make a form tool to turn down the rim and cut an extractor groove in 30-30 cases, to turn them into 30 Rem. That was more work than it was ever worth for me but it is a possibility.

Interesting, I didnt realize that. Thats really good info to know. So dimmensionally the same, just the method of extraction is different. I remember reading sonewhere that this gun theoretically inspired Kalashnikov when he designed the ak47 saftey. They are essentially the same, but Remington was first.

Yep. I believe the same holds true for the 25 and 32 Remington cartridges and their Winchester equivalents. Nobody wanted to market for someone else in those days even if it meant coming up with your own, basically identical cartridge to avoid putting their initials on your gun.

I could definitely see the AK safety being inspired by the Model 8's. The trigger group looks like the flat-spring granddaddy of the AR as well.

That is also good to know! Hah! I watch estate auctions all the time, and some of these caliber guns go for cheap, im guessing the confusion on ammo, and little availability are to blame.

The marking you ask about is just a proof or inspection marking. Both of the serial numbers are matching. At some time it was drilled and tapped for a Stith scope mount, evident by the holes on the left side of the receiver.
What does that plaque read on the forearm??

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews