JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good morning all. I'm just making this quick post in the hope that some of the members here with more material knowledge than I have can weigh in on my form 1 design before I possibly damage it by firing rounds through it that it might not be able to handle.

Some years ago I built my first form 1 suppressor and did my best to construct it in a manner that would allow for firing up to .308 Winchester through it (from a 16+" barrel).

The tube, end caps, and baffle spacers are titanium and the baffles are all stainless steel 60 degree cones. The overall length of the suppressor is 8", the tube diameter is 1.5" OD, and the blast chamber before the first baffle is 2.5" in length. The combined wall thickness (tube + spacers) is 0.19".

Here's a bad mock up of the interior of the suppressor (not to scale):

Form 1 example.png

Since I made it, the highest pressure rounds I've fired through it have been supersonic .300 Blackout loads (from a 10.5" barrel), which it handled perfectly fine and even did a decent job of suppressing the sound. I'm probably just worrying too much, but are there any apparent concerns with the structural strength of a design like this when firing higher pressure rounds like 5.56 or .308 from a 16+" barrel?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last Edited:
Most of the suppressors I see advertised come with something like an inconel blast baffle, though I have seen a few titanium ones advertised as 100%, so I don't think being a tank is necessary. I would suggest looking for a cross section/specs on deadair/yhm models to see how yours compares. Fully welded baffles is also a common theme.

I'm sure none of what I said is new information to you, just my take and suggestion

Looks like a common design. Without knowing wall thicknesses, I wouldn't be able to say anything. I've got a form 1 made entirely out of steel. Thick steel and it's can take 308 just fine.

Looks like a common design. Without knowing wall thicknesses, I wouldn't be able to say anything. I've got a form 1 made entirely out of steel. Thick steel and it's can take 308 just fine.
I briefly mentioned wall thickness in my post, but just had to edit it due to putting the incorrect value. The titanium tube has a wall thickness of 0.14" and the titanium spacer tubes have a wall thickness of 0.05", for a combined thickness of 0.19"

I built this years ago, and my memory isn't what it used to be :p

That said, what I am sure about is that I had my approved form 1 in hand before I took possession of any materials used in this project.
Yeah, I get that :) My train of thought with that question is that it would be easier to judge potential strength if the parts were sourced from artisanal craftsman Vs local free range organic with (and forgive me this part) no knowledge of your skills as a machinist. FWIW, thinking back on the artisanal craftsmen of the past and the non-suppressor parts they offered, I feel that you should be fine with a 308 or 5.56 as long as you didn't win the ammo lottery
Also, from what I have read spacers do not significantly add to the hoop strength

I briefly mentioned wall thickness in my post, but just had to edit it due to putting the incorrect value. The titanium tube has a wall thickness of 0.14" and the titanium spacer tubes have a wall thickness of 0.05", for a combined thickness of 0.19"
Mine has a blast area thickness of about the same combined thickness.

Yeah, I get that :) My train of thought with that question is that it would be easier to judge potential strength if the parts were sourced from artisanal craftsman Vs local free range organic with (and forgive me this part) no knowledge of your skills as a machinist. FWIW, thinking back on the artisanal craftsmen of the past and the non-suppressor parts they offered, I feel that you should be fine with a 308 or 5.56 as long as you didn't win the ammo lottery
Also, from what I have read spacers do not significantly add to the hoop strength
I gotcha. I do recall now that the titanium tube, at least, came to me already as a tube, so I imagine it's up to snuff as far as those standards go. Good info on the spacers not adding to the hoop strength.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top