JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this today over on sigforum and I have to say that it made all the dust on my screen jump right into my eyes...
Bella01.jpg

Bella02.jpg

Bella03.jpg

Bella04.jpg

Dedicated to Bella the Bullmastiff who let a frog sit on her paw.

You Will Always Be My Best Friend

It's a curse that we outlive the embodiments of love.

I've never been a religious person in my life yet I just know we are going to get to see everybody and every pet again some day, I believe that because I have to. Can't imagine the good people and pets I've lost aren't living forever somewhere waiting...

Thoughts to you and yours.

I will share this with my family. We just lost our yellow Lab. last Tuesday.

Let the water works begin - again..... :(

We have a 13yr old yellow (actually more on the white side) Labrador Retriever that we named Dan. He was miraculously found in a box, along with what was apparently his litter... abandoned out in the middle of a forest.

We've had Dan since he was a wobbly-legged puppy. He's quite intelligent, and has always been a kind dog, especially with kids. He actually gives you "hugs", yet has (to this day) a deep bark and fearless posture that give strangers pause from intruding into our fenced "territory", that is until we let Dan know you are OK, then you're good to go. Many uninvited intruders, generally small animals (opossums, a few cats, a couple cocky chihuahuas and one Jack Russell who slipped under the main gate displaying "little dog syndrome" looking for a fight... uggh, always an ugly affair) have been ravaged or killed for stepping foot on our hallowed grounds. Dogs do what dogs do...

His eyes were gorgeous and dark, never missing the slightest movement, but with the ravages of time have grown cloudy and mostly blind. He's still muscular and strong, it's the joints that are his bane. He gets up a lot slower these days and many of his teeth have fallen out. Despite all this the old bugger still loves to chase a ball... although you can't "throw" it out there, you have to "bowl" it across the grass so he can sense the movement, but we'll take what we can get.

Dan is a "miracle" dog, and just like his predecessor, a Boston Terrier named Bubba who lived to a ripe old age... we're friends to the bitter end.

So there is a saying that has been going around for a bit that says "They might only be here a part of our lives ,but to them you are their whole life". This saying spawned some writing prompts in the/r/writingprompts subreddit. I am gonna post a couple of the better responses for yall.

The last thing I remember is My Person bringing my to the Sharp Place.

I never understood why My Person would bring me to the Sharp Place. The smells were sharp, and they poked me with sharp things. That's why I called it the Sharp Place. It was a bad place. I didn't like it.

I don't know why My Person brought me there, that day of all days. I already hadn't been feeling good. I'd been throwing up, and my hips hurt and my paws hurt. Even eating grass didn't help. And then My Person brought me to the Sharp Place. I tried to be mad at him, but he seemed so sad about something, so I tried to wag my tail to cheer him up. I didn't even really notice when the Sharp Man poked me.

Then my eyes got heavy and that was the last thing I remember.

Buddy, a voice said. Buddy, wake up.

I opened my eyes and got to my feet, and I realized my paws didn't hurt anymore. I tried a wag, and that was fine, too. I sniffed the air. It smelled like the Play Park and like Our Home and the Car Window. I liked it a lot.

Welcome, Buddy, came the voice again, from behind me.

I turned around, and there was a person there. He wasn't My Person, but he was all safe and good smells, so I trusted him.

Where am I? I said.

You're in the place that Good Boys go, the person said.

I was a Good Boy? I said.

You were a Very Good Boy, he told me.

That was good. I always tried to be a Good Boy. Where's My Person? I asked.

He's still down there, the person said. And he waved his arm and all of a sudden we were in Our Home, and My Person was sitting on the Forbidden Chair and looking sad. Every so often, he'd look over at the Okay Couch, where I was allowed so sit, and his breath would catch because he was very sad. I tried to nuzzle him, but my nose just passed through his hand.

What's happening? I don't understand, I said.

The person sighed. You can't be with him right now, Buddy. I'm sorry. It's the way of things.

I thought about this. So it's like My Person is on the Person Bed, and I'm not allowed there? I said.

Exactly like that, the person said. But he can be with you someday. If you choose to wait for him.

Of course I want to wait for him! I said. Not wait for My Person? Who did this person think he was talking to?

Hold on, Buddy, the person said. He seemed sad about this for some reason. It's not that simple. You have a choice.He got down on one knee and he looked into my eyes. There are bad things in this world, Buddy. Very bad things.

Like Neighbor Cat?

So much worse than her, Buddy. He waved his hand, and I saw what he was talking about. He showed me dark things, that were like snakes and rats, only worse. Worse than the Sucking Machine. Worse than the Sharp Place. They smelled evil.

These are the things that want to hurt him, Buddy. They want to hurt everybody. So you can wait for him, or you can keep him safe. But if you choose to keep him safe, then you can't see him again.

What, never? I said.

The person nodded. Never, Buddy. I'm sorry. Those are the Rules. It's a terrible choice.

I looked at my paws. I didn't want to not see My Person ever again. But I wanted to keep him safe even more.

I know what I have to do, I said, and the person waved his hand, and all of a sudden we were in a place with there were as many dogs as I have every seen before. More, even.

These are all the Good Boys who chose to keep Their People safe, the person said.

I looked at them all. I couldn't believe it, still. But there's so many of us! I said. How many Good Boys are here?

The person looked down at me. He smiled, but I could tell he was also partly very sad. All of you, Buddy. Every single one.

I read this years ago and it stuck with me. Similar to your post.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolf hound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

PAL011ML.jpg
The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life - - like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

• When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  • Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
  • Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy..
  • Take naps.
  • Stretch before rising.
  • Run, romp, and play daily.
  • Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
  • Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  • On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
  • On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
  • When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
  • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
  • Be loyal.
  • Never pretend to be something you're not.
  • If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
  • When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

We adopted our dog when my wofe and I first started dating.
She's been through our rough patches, adventures, getting married, moving across the country, and back, buying a house with a big yard, having one kid, then another, job changes, money lost and gained.
She's been our constant. Our rock.
She's getting pretty grey now. Plays a little less, sleeps a little more.
But always had more love than we can use. Always wants to cuddle, and is always trying to get her butt scratched.

She's been the best dog.
We chose her after looking for months. She was the only dog in the humane society sitting quietly, not barking or jumping around.
Just waiting to be taken home. We gladly accepted.

If there was any doubt how much your dog loves you, compared, say, to your wife, try out this little free experiment.

Lock your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour, and another time, do the same with your dog.

See who is most pleased to see you when you pop the trunk lid.

Look up the RAINBOW BRIDGE poem.

I was going to post it here earlier but I did not want to mess up this thread since the original post was so good.

I LOVE dogs and I have looked on and off at puppies all over again. I have not had a dog since I moved out west.

Cate
PS: My dogs always gave me UNCONDITIONAL LOVE from the time that they were puppies until they went to heaven. From the time I was born until I was 51 years old... I always had one, two or three dogs. Usually one at a time but for 15 to 16 years - two dogs who were very old, declining in health but lived past my late husband's death back east. (I took care of an old dog from a deceased relative for some time too.)

Typos

Last Edited:
You can never give.a.dog what they give to you. Don't know what it is or how they do it but they are like medicine.
Back in 1984 i quit drinking after a typical blackout and we had a Mastiff/Lab cross that was my crutch. She showed me how powerful a dogs love can be.
We lost our American Bulldog about 4 months ago and now my Wife wants a yellow Lab so will be looking for a younger one that needs a good home in about 6 weeks .
Thanks
James

"Come!" The paw on the back of my head scratches through my fur. I snap at Dodger. He still treats me like a pup, and he is old. Old or not, he manages to catch me and roll me over. I bat at his chest and he snaps and growls near my ears until I surrender.

"Insolent pup," he growls again as he lets me up.

"I'm not a pup!" I stand up and shake. "I have earned my name. The Lady gave me a name!"

"Dodger! Sapphire!" The girl's voice from inside makes me perk up my ears.

"The Lady calls again. Come!" He turns back toward the house and trots over. I follow, and playfully snap at his golden tail. He ignores me because I am obeying.

The Lady opens the door. The youngest. Not quite 100 years yet. She just came of age last week, and there was a big celebration. I was quite popular that night, as her friends gave me many treats. There was talk among the adults about her going away. She said I would go with her, and that made me happy. I wag my tail at her. The Lady pats my head, but then she kneels down and hugs Dodger. The Lady is crying.

"What's wrong?" I ask her. She only reaches out and pats my head again. She doesn't understand me yet. Not like the Master. The Master knows what we say. He understands Dodger more easily. And then I notice that Dodger is not wagging his tail. He is also sad.

"Dodger?" I demand. I muscle my way into the hug and lick the Lady's face. She laughs a little. "Dodger, what's wrong?"

"I have to go see the Master," he says. He breaks away from the hug and leaves me with the Lady, who hugs me now instead. I sniff her. She smells of the chemicals that Master smells like all the time now. I listen. I can hear the Mistress talking, talking to the Peddler of the chemicals. I nudge out of the hug to follow Dodger, up the stairs, up to Master's room.

"Hey Sapphire," says the Mistress when I enter. She rubs me behind the ears the way I like. I tell her thank you.

"Beautiful Husky," says the Peddler. I greet him and he pets me. He seems all right, but for the odd smell.

"She belongs to my granddaughter." The Mistress's voice sounds odd, like she is in distress, but I smell no danger.

"Ah." The Peddler is packing up. "If you need anything else..."

"Thank you." The Mistress walks out with him.

Dodger is on the bed. He lays his head on Master's chest, who looks asleep. The chemicals make me want to sneeze, but Dodger had told me that is disrespectful. There's another smell too: it's been present for a long time, but today it is stronger than before.

I walk up to the side of the bed. "Dodger!" I speak loudly to get his attention.

He opens his big brown eyes. "Quiet, pup," he says. "And go away."

"No! Tell me what is going on. Why does the Master smell like this? Why is my Lady crying?" I put my paws on the bed to look at Master. His skin is very sallow and thin. The veins stand out.

"I am the Seventh," says Dodger. He lifts his head from Master's chest. "My family was made part of the Master's family generations ago, when he was just a pup." Dodger looks at his Master's face. "The First was named Dodger as well. He named me, knowing I would be the last."

"The last?" I whine. "Dodger, what are you talking about?"

Dodger sighs. "You're too young to understand."

"I am not a puppy!" I say it loudly. "I am not!"

The Master opens his eyes, and I wonder if I have made a mistake. But he laughs and reaches out to scratch my ears. Like the Mistress, he knows how to scratch properly.

"Hullo, Sapphire," he says. I wag my tail. "Be a good dog for Jenny, mm?"

"I will," I tell him. I feel Dodger looking at me, all solemn.

"Good girl," says Master. "I don't have long before I go. Dodger will take care of me."

I hear a car pull up the driveway outside. It's a large one. I run to the window and look out: it's big and white, and strange humans in uniform get out. The Mistress begins to talk with them. I run back to the bed.

I look at Dodger. "He can't leave. You can't leave!" I whine.

"Hey, hey," says Master. He catches me near the ears again, gently. "I told you, Dodger will take care of me."

I whine at them both. "You can't leave!"

The men come upstairs with a bed on wheels. The Lady comes with them and takes me aside.

"Gotta move the dog."

"I'll move him," says the Mistress. She lifts Dodger off the bed. He seems older than he did a little while ago. I whine at the Lady, but she just holds me and cries.

"He can't leave!" I tell her, but she doesn't understand yet. "They won't bring him back!"

But he does leave. The Lady just holds me and weeps while the vehicles drive away.

We go downstairs and outside. Dodger walks down the driveway, following the vehicles.

"Dodger, wait!" I strain against the Lady's hands. She calls for Dodger, and he waits a moment. I get free.

"Dodger, we have to bring the Master back!" I tell him. I could still hear the vehicles on the road. The Lady was running up behind me.

He wags his tail at me. "He told you to be a good dog and take care of the Lady. Be good, Sapphire." He licks my face and runs off, golden fur shining in the sunlight. Lady holds onto me and calls for Dodger, but he disobeys. I had never seen him disobey before. He had never called me by my name before.

I only saw Dodger one more time: we found him at the meadow where the Master's body was laid, curled against the crossed stone that marked it.

He was the Seventh of his family. I am the First of mine.

This thread was hard to read. Dog on the right of my avatar had to be put down last summer. One on the left just got back from a morning walk with me. He's 13 and getting slow, grey, can't see real well or hear real well any more. I keep hoping maybe I will come home from work and he will have just passed in his sleep. I know chances are I will have to put him down soon too. Amazing how attached we get to these critters.

Our family has had a lot of pet's .
And we never stop getting them.
One of my favorites was CAPTAIN HOOK.
or we just called him HOOK.
AND OF COURSE SPIKE the Boston.
That shows up in some of my old pictures.
I could post pictures all day long of dogs .lol
Hook is the black lab . Spike the Boston terrier. 4181.jpeg IMG_20180606_191240.jpg Photo0029.jpg

The worst part about it all is that as animal lovers if we are fortunate enough to live a long and healthy life we all are going to go through this so many damn times. Each time I say I might not ever get another dog. Some time later I realize that's a stupid thing for me to think and the process starts over.

It only hurts so because we love so.

The worst part about it all is that as animal lovers if we are fortunate enough to live a long and healthy life we all are going to go through this so many damn times. Each time I say I might not ever get another dog. Some time later I realize that's a stupid thing for me to think and the process starts over.

It only hurts so because we love so.

Yep, when I hear someone who lost a dog say "they just can't do it again" I always say I will. My Wife claimed she was not going to when hers (the one on the right) was showing signs it was close. I told her when mine went I would be looking the next day. She did not hold out long. A month after I put hers down we were off on a 4 hour trip to buy this one.
Met the people who were from OR in a parking lot just this side of the border. Felt like I was making some kind of drug deal meeting out there handing over wad of cash :)
Getting another Dog is the only thing I know that helps ease the pain of losing one.

Tessa-1.jpg

lost a black lab 9 years ago, got another as soon as possible. Now he is 8 and the other day he was listless, acted stiff and tired---until evening and then became the bossy pal I was used to. Have decided to get a pup soon so they can entertain and play together. I realized how hard it was "between" dogs last time and I do not want to be alone again. Looking for a black Lab pup.

This is Boris. He's gonna be ten this year.

NobleBoris_004.jpg

He went mostly blind two years ago from a weird auto-immune ailment. Woke up one morning and was totally blind. We took him to the vet; they sent us to the WSU animal clinic downtown that same day. It took them two minutes to tell us that he needed eye surgery RIGHT NOW if there was to be any hope of saving his vision. They were able to save a little bit of sight in one eye; enough to make his way through the woods on our walks, and avoid furniture in the house. The other eye is shot.

So he's definitely slowing down from age and blindness. I'm gonna miss him terribly when he's gone, but I'm enjoying the hell out of our time together now.

Our other dog is Beorn, a six year old Bernese Mtn. Dog. He's a Momma's boy.

Boris_in_Bed.jpg

I painted both portraits, by the way.

Without all the dogs that have passed through my life, it would have been been very shallow, incomplete, and I would have far fewer good stories to tell. My favorite was a runt Rotti, Boots, that kept me going through some very tough times. We'd lay on the floor and I would softly talk to her and I could look in her eyes and believe she understood it all.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top