JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This August it will be 3 years since we lost our Rotten Lab (as you might of guessed he was 1/2 Rottweiler and Yellow lab). His mother was just a very young puppy when we found her in the woods where some (insert your favorite name for someone who abandons domestic animals in the woods). When she found our neighbors Rotty we then had Rooten Lab puppies! We kept the only male of the litter.

We had young children and 10 acres with BLM just behind us, so wherever the boys went so did the dogs! They were the dogs best friends, I played second fiddle to the boys. But I was always greeted at the car when I came home, I would open my door to my car and would have two heads on my lap telling me how much I was missed.

Every time I see post with pets I want another one but I still haven't get over the lost of Monster which lost to cancer at 10 years of age.

Last Edited:
This is Boris. He's gonna be ten this year.

View attachment 551465

He went mostly blind two years ago from a weird auto-immune ailment. Woke up one morning and was totally blind. We took him to the vet; they sent us to the WSU animal clinic downtown that same day. It took them two minutes to tell us that he needed eye surgery RIGHT NOW if there was to be any hope of saving his vision. They were able to save a little bit of sight in one eye; enough to make his way through the woods on our walks, and avoid furniture in the house. The other eye is shot.

So he's definitely slowing down from age and blindness. I'm gonna miss him terribly when he's gone, but I'm enjoying the hell out of our time together now.

Our other dog is Beorn, a six year old Bernese Mtn. Dog. He's a Momma's boy.

View attachment 551466

I painted both portraits, by the way.

You are an excellent artist! Nice dogs.

Cate

One of the big reasons I stopped talking to my brother in the last few years is because of how he treated his dogs.
Sounds weird. But he had a small dog that he had since it was a puppy.
He had it put down, more because it was being more money and time than he wanted to deal with.
The dog was old, he was a jerk, and needed a bunch of dental work done, but he disposed of that dog like it was an old couch he didn't want anymore.
And the other one he had for 5-6 years he was trying to give away to anyone who would take it without telling any of us.

Anyone who treats animals so careless and emotionless is a hollow and dead soul.

Not that I didn't know that before, but it sealed the deal.

One of the big reasons I stopped talking to my brother in the last few years is because of how he treated his dogs.
Sounds weird. But he had a small dog that he had since it was a puppy.
He had it put down, more because it was being more money and time than he wanted to deal with.
The dog was old, he was a jerk, and needed a bunch of dental work done, but he disposed of that dog like it was an old couch he didn't want anymore.
And the other one he had for 5-6 years he was trying to give away to anyone who would take it without telling any of us.

Anyone who treats animals so careless and emotionless is a hollow and dead soul.

Not that I didn't know that before, but it sealed the deal.

This is what I never understand. Not everyone is an animal person, great. Then why get one? It's why when I walk my dogs I will do anything I can to not actually harm aggressive dogs who want to make a meal out of mine. I will kill one if needed but its the owner I would like to harm. It's not the dogs fault the owner is a moron. problem is most of these morons when they get one dog taken or lost run out and get another. My dogs get better care than I get :)

Tomorrow is going to a very difficult day. We have a vet coming over in the morning to help our Niyah move peacefully on her journey. Niyah is our 9 1/2 year old Bernese Mountain dog. She is has been the most loving and intelligent animal that we have EVER shared our lives with. We are losing a member of our pack.....My oldest has come home tonight so that we can all spend this last night together as family. My wife and I and our three kids will be with Niyah when her time comes so that she will not feel alone. Of course I think Niyah will think that she will be looking out for us as she always has...

God I'm going to miss her........

Godspeed sweet girl.

My personal favorite.

75A649F4-C397-495A-817D-EB6AC3460282.jpeg

Tomorrow is going to a very difficult day. We have a vet coming over in the morning to help our Niyah move peacefully on her journey. Niyah is our 9 1/2 year old Bernese Mountain dog. She is has been the most loving and intelligent animal that we have EVER shared our lives with. We are losing a member of our pack.....My oldest has come home tonight so that we can all spend this last night together as family. My wife and I and our three kids will be with Niyah when her time comes so that she will not feel alone. Of course I think Niyah will think that she will be looking out for us as she always has...

God I'm going to miss her........

Godspeed sweet girl.

She has moved on.
20190315_090700.jpg

I see my dog Jake getting older and slowing down. He is going on twelve
He is not gone but I know what is coming and I try to give him the best of what I have. If I have steak for dinner he gets some of mine. I know that when he goes he will have been treated with love and respect. He will not have wanted and a dog chain will be a foreign concept to him. We are begining our search for another young pup and though he will never be Jake he will be loved as well and I know his time will come as well.

My Aussie is 7 years old, but acts like a 1 year old. I keep wondering when she will slow down. I take her on runs a few times a week (me on my bike lol). I'm more worried about my daughter when our dog passes. We got her when our daughter was 3 so they grew up together.

Without all the dogs that have passed through my life, it would have been been very shallow, incomplete, and I would have far fewer good stories to tell. My favorite was a runt Rotti, Boots, that kept me going through some very tough times. We'd lay on the floor and I would softly talk to her and I could look in her eyes and believe she understood it all.

I love my Rotties! Gonna have one till I die. Very loyal, I can't go anywhere without my 3 following me. We have Dad, Mom, and Son now. Got mom fixed, but stud out the boys. My Rottweilers even come with factory night sights! 20181202_175912.jpg 20180511_183602.jpg

Coincidentally, I hadnt seen this thread until today...or maybe I just overlooked it in general. We received news this morning that my sister-in-law had to put her dog down this morning, so it was fitting that I ran across it today. I've been in that boat quite a few times in my life. We currently don't have a dog, but one of our cats will be 14 this year with no signs of slowing down yet...she is as spunky as she was 12 years ago. I just try to enjoy our time together because the end is inevitable. Thanks for sharing your stories and experiences.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top