JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have experience with the FN P-12 pump action shotgun?
Looking into buy a first shotgun. At first, I wanted a semi-auto.. but I'm starting to think a pump action will suit me fine for how often it will get used. However, I want something very well built and very reliable. It would be used for home defense and target shooting on occasion.
I've never owned anything from FN but I know their reputation precedes them.
I may or may not mount a red dot optic on it, depending on how quickly I could get on target with the stock sights. Just looking for some experiences with this shotgun vs others that are similar and what kind of value I'd be getting. Also curious what people have paid for theirs to know what deals I might want to look for.

From what I've seen there made in Portugal and there kind of hit and miss as far as quality. My buddy has one that's well taken care of but every once and a while he will get a ftf or fte. It's a decent shotgun but the Remington 870 is in my experiences are reliable,tough,and the action is like butter but the finish in a lot of models have some serious rust issues. Have you thought about a mossberg shockwave with a brace? Not exactly sure on the law here

From what I've seen there made in Portugal and there kind of hit and miss as far as quality. My buddy has one that's well taken care of but every once and a while he will get a ftf or fte. It's a decent shotgun but the Remington 870 is in my experiences are reliable,tough,and the action is like butter but the finish in a lot of models have some serious rust issues. Have you thought about a mossberg shockwave with a brace? Not exactly sure on the law here
I've considered a Shockwave but some people seem to think they're a little unwieldy based on how you hold it and such. I probably wouldn't want to modify it just because there is some grey area with the law on SBS.. My other consideration was a Mossberg 930SPX. I always liked the idea of a semi-auto for a shotgun but some people think they don't cycle well with anything under 00 buckshot. It seems like there are drawbacks to many of the shotgun offerings out there which is why it's taken me so long to come around to purchasing one. Ultimately it has to be reliable if it's a home defense weapon. If it doesn't fire when it's supposed to well then you're screwed.

I've considered a Shockwave but some people seem to think they're a little unwieldy based on how you hold it and such. I probably wouldn't want to modify it just because there is some grey area with the law on SBS.. My other consideration was a Mossberg 930SPX. I always liked the idea of a semi-auto for a shotgun but some people think they don't cycle well with anything under 00 buckshot. It seems like there are drawbacks to many of the shotgun offerings out there which is why it's taken me so long to come around to purchasing one. Ultimately it has to be reliable if it's a home defense weapon. If it doesn't fire when it's supposed to well then you're screwed.

I have a several shotguns both Mossberg 590A1's. I also have an FNH SLP and I use LE127 00 buckshot. For my pump one's I use LE132-1B 15 pellets of #1 buckshot. My SLP is my go to shotgun now but before it was a 590A1. Since the SLP is gas driven the recoil is not bad. My 590A1's I bought LimbSaver recoil pads which makes a difference compared the default pad that come standard on it. With low recoil buckshot rounds it does not hurt and I have fired 75 rounds on one session at the range.

I don't own FN-P12 but might want to see about a buttstock side saddle and light s you can see the bad guy before you fire. I am not shot have any light mounts exist or not,

I have a several shotguns both Mossberg 590A1's. I also have an FNH SLP and I use LE127 00 buckshot. For my pump one's I use LE132-1B 15 pellets of #1 buckshot. My SLP is my go to shotgun now but before it was a 590A1. Since the SLP is gas driven the recoil is not bad. My 590A1's I bought LimbSaver recoil pads which makes a difference compared the default pad that come standard on it. With low recoil buckshot rounds it does not hurt and I have fired 75 rounds on one session at the range.

I don't own FN-P12 but might want to see about a buttstock side saddle and light s you can see the bad guy before you fire. I am not shot have any light mounts exist or not,
The SLP looks nice but it's pretty far out of my budget right now. The 930SPX is the only "tactical/HD" style shotgun in semi auto that I'd relatively be able to afford.

The SLP looks nice but it's pretty far out of my budget right now. The 930SPX is the only "tactical/HD" style shotgun in semi auto that I'd relatively be able to afford.

The reason I didn't get Mossberg 930 was QC issues they were having at time I was looking to buy. Some people 930's were fine but others were jamming so I got an 18" SLP instead. I shoot 9 pellet 00 buckshot since it is my HD shotgun. When I go to gun range I use Rio Royal 9 pellet 00 to practice since it is cheaper than the Federal LE stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top