JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When the cops get to a house and there is still live fire going on who are the cops supposed to shoot at? The guys with the hand guns or the guy with the AK47?

I am happy to hear that the guy was able to defend himself. And I am happy to hear the AK47 came in on the side of the good guy. It seems like if the cops got there a little earlier this story could have ended much more tragically.

I'm not entirely sure, but I would be confident in saying that I don't believe the protocol for cops showing up to a home where a gunfight is taking place is to immediately run into the house that said gunfight is taking place.

When the cops get to a house and there is still live fire going on who are the cops supposed to shoot at? The guys with the hand guns or the guy with the AK47?

I am happy to hear that the guy was able to defend himself. And I am happy to hear the AK47 came in on the side of the good guy. It seems like if the cops got there a little earlier this story could have ended much more tragically.
Neither? They take 30 minutes to get here, it would be done by the time they arrive. But protocol is if there's live fire, don't rush in head first. They have to wait for back up, which or SWAT (not all departments have a SWAT team).

Realistically, however, is that criminals are typically armed with handguns and not cops. The PD here knows that. They also know I own an AK cause we sometimes see each other at the range or gun shop. Some of em have an AK too. Also realize some police departments in the states also use an AK as their issued rifle.

Neither? They take 30 minutes to get here, it would be done by the time they arrive. But protocol is if there's live fire, don't rush in head first. They have to wait for back up, which or SWAT (not all departments have a SWAT team).

Realistically, however, is that criminals are typically armed with handguns and not cops. The PD here knows that. They also know I own an AK cause we sometimes see each other at the range or gun shop. Some of em have an AK too. Also realize some police departments in the states also use an AK as their issued rifle.

Ouch! Seriously, the AK? Here in the States? I can remember when I was told that the AK was "off limits" for patrol work, as it was deemed a "terrorist-identified" firearm and looked bad... ARs and Minis were the only "approved" long-arms besides a shotgun... how things do change when ya retire....

Ouch! Seriously, the AK? Here in the States? I can remember when I was told that the AK was "off limits" for patrol work, as it was deemed a "terrorist-identified" firearm and looked bad... ARs and Minis were the only "approved" long-arms besides a shotgun... how things do change when ya retire....
They use em in Alaska. One in Montana, another in Alabama. There was on in California but not sure if that department still has em.

Times have changed man, we no longer blame the AK for ideologies. Just another tool.

AKs among U.S. Police Departments - The Firearm Blog

Link for more...

Also a few decades back they did some tests where they would pour a pint of water into the action of the rifle and let them freeze. The only rifles that passed flying colors were the Galil and Valmet, by extension the AK would have passed too. They tested a M14, HK (91, 93), the AR-15, M16, FAL, FNC, Mini-14, and a few others...

Last Edited:
AKs among U.S. Police Departments - The Firearm Blog

Link for more...

Also a few decades back they did some tests where they would pour a pint of water into the action of the rifle and let them freeze. The only rifles that passed flying colors were the Galil and Valmet, by extension the AK would have passed too. They tested a M14, HK (91, 93), the AR-15, M16, FAL, FNC, Mini-14, and a few others...
Interesting... Still, as much as I like an AK as a personal defense weapon, I'm thinking that for accuracy and ease of use, the AR is a better patrol rifle. I keep BOTH handy.. The local PD in R Lil Town uses the H&K both in .308 and 9mm... I can see why they like the AK in Alaska tho, the reasons mentioned in the posted article make good sense to me.

Interesting... Still, as much as I like an AK as a personal defense weapon, I'm thinking that for accuracy and ease of use, the AR is a better patrol rifle. I keep BOTH handy.. The local PD in R Lil Town uses the H&K both in .308 and 9mm...
Depends. Really, a stock AK and AR are going to have the same practical accuracy. Now a special AR build is a different story. Optics changes things too.

Now for SWAT snipers, they do need more than practical accuracy... But they have bolts for that very reason.

One of my favorite shooters is a pre-bolt assist AR15 I tricked out back before "tricked out" was a thing to do to an AR15... mounted a Colt 3X scope on the carry handle, changed out the buttstock, the pistol grip, and forearm to the then-modern A2 config tho keeping the pencil-barrel and original open sights. It shoots well enuff for an AR and I learned to trust it within the limitations of the 5.56mm round. The scope is a worthwhile addition, esp. as my eye-sight ages. It's a handy rifle but not really a "go-to", altho it could be.
Who would have guessed that decades later, an original Colt "slabside" AR would be worth $$$ to collectors?:eek: Oy!

4x scope if my eyes aren't good enough to go past 300 meters the day I go to the range. Otherwise I mostly shoot irons... And yes I'm using that rubber eyepiece to compensate for a lack of cheekweld for consistency.

IMG_3451.JPG IMG_3452.JPG

Bobo, I am fine with either of my AKs out to 300 meters, beyond that the sights become more guessworkish. Been considering mounting "Tech Sights" to improve accuracy but havent gotten around to it yet. FAL and H&K 91 do that longer range stuff with more authority since I sold my scoped M1A.
Can't really tell what Im looking at on your AK. Folder?

I just went and bolted a Williams rear sight to a smooth AK dust cover and bent it for tighter fit. It won't be heavy enough for it to matter, and I can shim the square hole for the spring to press it down. One can also weld a M16 rear sight assembly to one.

But the tech sight is the least labor intensive one though... Had to drill the dust cover, tap the sight, loctite the bolts, and bend the cover.

Why not have AR, AK, and shotty for HD long guns? That way you can choose the right tool for the job at hand. Yeah, I know that is a lot of $, but then this forum is mostly populated by enthusiasts who probably would be considered "super gun owners" or some such tripe. Realistically speaking it's not likely that SD/HD would ever require shooting out to 300m, but then we have defensive long guns for firepower more than range.

Why not have AR, AK, and shotty for HD long guns? That way you can choose the right tool for the job at hand. Yeah, I know that is a lot of $, but then this forum is mostly populated by enthusiasts who probably would be considered "super gun owners" or some such tripe. Realistically speaking it's not likely that SD/HD would ever require shooting out to 300m, but then we have defensive long guns for firepower more than range.
One of each is good, two of each is better,:eek: three of each in separate locations is WAAAAY mo bettah! 'Fess up yall!, I know there are guys here who have climate-controlled rooms full of gunz 'n stuff!
On second thought DON'T admit to anything.. CARNIVORE is listening!:p 'Course we all had :oops:misfortunate boating accidents over the Challenger Deep so we'uns all be gun-free:D!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top