JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just waiting on my CHL to come in the mail figured I'd be prepared for when I receive it. Got a solid IWB Holster for my Glock. I have been doing some research are there benefits to having a flared magwell besides just faster reloads? I've been considering buying a flared magwell adapter piece and installing it myself; but I kind of hate the way it looks flared I personally love the simplicity of the Glock adding mods kind of ruins the aesthetics for me. Just want to hear from people that have flared magwell on their EDC do you like it? Dislike it? All comments welcome thanks guys!

Your chances of a reload are statistically slim in a DGU. And, in the rare chance you do have to, the .2 second advantage probably won't change your outcome. Additionally, for me, the handle length on a carry gun is one of the largest determining factors of comfort, so adding length in that dimension for such a little gain is not prudent.

Ymmv

That's pretty much what I figured. Which brings me to my next question. I have a few guns with +3 +5 baseplates they work fine but for conceal carry should you keep your EDC as Stock as possible? Meaning should I use Only OEM Glock Mags with no Mods to the gun or magazine? I have a laser light combo for my Glock 17 Gen4 but I also want to carry my Glock 21 which comes with the standard 13 round magazine granted 13 rounds of 45 ACP should be enough.. My Glock 17 comes with the standard with 17 but I like to have more capacity. Is there a point to getting extended base plates for an EDC? I already have some ETS mags 18 RD for my Glock 21 and 31 rd for my Glock 17. Would you personally carry a gun with mods and aftermarket magazines or just stick to the stock gun/mags? To my knowledge certain mods can effect the reliability. I want the tool that will protect my life to be as reliable and efficient as possible!

It increases chances of printing thus loosing EDC advantage of surprise. If you do use extended capacity mags, magwell is a great add on but I like to keep it very plain and simple with Glock EDC. The only Gock add on for me was metal mag baseplates so they hopefully drop free every time, and a wee bit quicker. Keep it simple and you may want better springs if you do the baseplat.

I like magwell for open carry for the good reasons but even then, adding an extra bit on the grip length might snag on a seatbelt, whatever, unless you get really proficient with the add on things.

Personal choice :cool:

That's pretty much what I figured. Which brings me to my next question. I have a few guns with +3 +5 baseplates they work fine but for conceal carry should you keep your EDC as Stock as possible? Meaning should I use Only OEM Glock Mags with no Mods to the gun or magazine? I have a laser light combo for my Glock 17 Gen4 but I also want to carry my Glock 21 which comes with the standard 13 round magazine granted 13 rounds of 45 ACP should be enough.. My Glock 17 comes with the standard with 17 but I like to have more capacity. Is there a point to getting extended base plates for an EDC? I already have some ETS mags 18 RD for my Glock 21 and 31 rd for my Glock 17. Would you personally carry a gun with mods and aftermarket magazines or just stick to the stock gun/mags? To my knowledge certain mods can effect the reliability. I want the tool that will protect my life to be as reliable and efficient as possible!

That's all up to you and what makes you feel comfortable. I'm not in the camp of "only carry stock guns." If your shot is justified, your shot is justified with a stock gun or a custom one. If you have an aftermarket mag/extended baseplate that you feel confident in, then rock it. I carry a gun with an extended baseplate and MagGuts inside to increase capacity, and I'd do it again.

Flared Magwells are slick for single stack designs where speed is essential, but not required or even desirable for double stacks, mostly as the mags for them tend to help with the speed more then the extension does! Case in point, my carry 1911 is a double stack, and came factory with a flared magwell extension, that sucker would print like crazy and being the mags pretty much self align lightning quick during a reload, I felt comfortable with removing most of that flared magwell from the bottom of the frame, leaving only enough for the little finger extension, and now it doesn't print at all!
For a single stack pistol, I would be careful in choosing which design to run, some can be very thin and compact giving you just the "Boost" you need, with out causing issues or printing! It all depends on which pistol you choose and the mags that feed it!

With a G26 I've found that the mag extensions don't cause much more printing and make the gun much easier to grip. It's a good summer carry gun for me. The 17 has enough capacity that I'm not concerned about mag extensions. It hides well in winter clothing but just about any full size gun does for me. In both cases I like a backup mag in a pocket or wherever is handy based on my clothing. The other Glock models I haven't tried.

Other mods that I've done to various guns include spring kits, sights and extended controls. For Glocks, I usually get the extended mag release and then trim it down until it doesn't get tripped by a holster but still makes it easier to reach. I've also found an extended slide release can be very helpful. It depends on the gun and the size and shape of your hand.

I will probably just carry an ETS mag and OEM with everything else stock aside from my light/laser attachment. I can always tweak it but if it ain't broke, don't fix it right? Hell if I feel so inclined I might me able to rock my 31 rd mag thanks for the info everybody. Don't hate on my color job first time ever doing it my Glock 21 Glock symbol is eh but long as I can distinctly see the model and caliber I'm good lol $10 Job.

973F8C6A-A5AD-4B8E-8A63-63A0142D183E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1820.MOV
    16.4 MB
I will probably just carry an ETS mag and OEM with everything else stock aside from my light/laser attachment. I can always tweak it but if it ain't broke, don't fix it right? Hell if I feel so inclined I might me able to rock my 31 rd mag thanks for the info everybody. Don't hate on my color job first time ever doing it my Glock 21 Glock symbol is eh but long as I can distinctly see the model and caliber I'm good lol $10 Job.

View attachment 777571
Yikes. I would carry it with a regular size mag inserted and one in the chamber in case you need to draw one-handed.

Back in the day.......the days of the standard GI M1911A1. When you wanted a quicker reload. It was a "beveled" magwell entrance. The gunsmith used a file, to bevel the existing mag opening.

Later, someone decided that some money could be made with an add on "flared magwell". Humm.....and with going to the gunsmith.

Nowadays though the 9mm has become popular and it's usually a double-column magazine that tapers up to feed one round at a time. Think: BHP, S&W 5906, Glock, etc.... So, the magazine well did not absolutely need to be modified.

Though that being said.....
IF you want one (modified magwell).......it's your money.

Aloha, Mark

This is my EDC .40S&W and statistically speaking, I'll probably never need more than that first mag.

View attachment 777580
As long as it's comfortable for you and you train with it to each is own. I like full sized guns for some reason but next pistol I get might be a hellcat had a chance of buying one decided to go with a G17 instead but I wouldn't mind getting a hellcat sometime .. I have big hands so smaller handguns egos just feel off it's a blessing an a curse lol

As long as it's comfortable for you and you train with it to each is own. I like full sized guns for some reason but next pistol I get might be a hellcat had a chance of buying one decided to go with a G17 instead but I wouldn't mind getting a hellcat sometime .. I have big hands so smaller handguns egos just feel off it's a blessing an a curse lol
I've carried everything from a micro-compact to a full size. I prefer compact and up. Minimum 9mm unless concealment is so important that it's not an alternative.

Back in the day.......the days of the standard GI M1911A1. When you wanted a quicker reload. It was a "beveled" magwell entrance. The gunsmith used a file, to bevel the existing mag opening.

Later, someone decided that some money could be made with an add on "flared magwell". Humm.....and with going to the gunsmith.

Nowadays though the 9mm has become popular and it's usually a double-column magazine that tapers up to feed one round at a time. Think: BHP, S&W 5906, Glock, etc.... So, the magazine well did not absolutely need to be modified.

Though that being said.....
IF you want one (modified magwell).......it's your money.

Aloha, Mark
Flared magwells are a legitimate consideration for competitive shooting. For EDC, I agree that most of us would probably not gain much from them without a lot of practice.

I'm just waiting on my CHL to come in the mail figured I'd be prepared for when I receive it. Got a solid IWB Holster for my Glock. I have been doing some research are there benefits to having a flared magwell besides just faster reloads? I've been considering buying a flared magwell adapter piece and installing it myself; but I kind of hate the way it looks flared I personally love the simplicity of the Glock adding mods kind of ruins the aesthetics for me. Just want to hear from people that have flared magwell on their EDC do you like it? Dislike it? All comments welcome thanks guys!
I would work on ur ability to calmly & confidently shoot accurately & quickly in high stress environments. That will outweigh any advantage from a flared mag well by like 1000:1

¼" doesn't make much of a difference in this when it comes to printing.
Now run a 33 round funstick and that will print almost as bad as a 110 round drum.

¼" doesn't make much of a difference in this when it comes to printing.
Now run a 33 round funstick and that will print almost as bad as a 110 round drum.
If you wrap a sock around that 33 rounder and stick it down your pants, you can carry any size gun and hardly anyone will notice. Probably not a good strategy for open carry though. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top