JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fall of 2017; was a fat, wheezing, smoker... had stroke, couldn't use my right side for six months.

Fall of 2018; not smoking, not as fat... tripped on curb in dark parking lot dislocated shoulder (4th time-twice each over 40 years...don't ask).

Fall 2019; realized as I was carrying 50lb boxes of tile into the bathroom of our new (to us) house, that 2 of those boxes weighed as much as the fat I lost since my "incident" in 2017. :eek:

Starting 2020; with a big ol' smile on my formerly fat kisser... :D...

stair-stepper, walking, only eating at a table (Not sofa, Not computer) and continue to stay busy.

:) Thanks Oregpnhunter5,. :)
Edited to clarify; I was 25 when I first dislocated a shoulder... I'll be 66 in April 2020.... my plan for immortality continues (so far-so good!)

(stop smoking tip - whenever you get the urge....brush your teeth instead)

Last Edited:
Fall of 2017; was a fat, wheezing, smoker... had stroke, couldn't use my right side for six months.

Fall of 2018; not smoking, not as fat... tripped on curb in dark parking lot dislocated shoulder (4th time-twice each over 40 years...don't ask).

Fall 2019; realized as I was carrying 50lb boxes of tile into the bathroom of our new (to us) house, that 2 of those boxes weighed as much as the fat I lost since my "incident" in 2017. :eek:

Starting 2020; with a big ol' smile on my formerly fat kisser... :D...

stair-stepper, walking, only eating at a table (Not sofa, Not computer) and continue to stay busy.

(stop smoking tip - whenever you get the urge....brush your teeth instead)
Your 40 and had a stroke?

Make progress toward my goals of becoming faster, stronger, smarter, better and more physically, mentally and spiritually fit.

Train BJJ and continue to work on empty hand skills.

Great thread!

Murph every May

For those who don't know Murph, let me tell you about cross-fit ;)

Named for the the Navy Seal.

Completing one, proves you have a good level of fitness.

"MURPH" http://wodwell.com/wod/murph/
For Time
1 Mile Run
100 Pull-Ups
200 Push-Ups
300 Air Squats
1 Mile Run
Partition the Pull-Ups, Push-Ups, and Squats as needed.

If you've got a 20 pound vest wear it.

Nope, I can't complete it.

For those who don't know Murph, let me tell you about cross-fit ;)

Named for the the Navy Seal.

Completing one, proves you have a good level of fitness.

"MURPH" http://wodwell.com/wod/murph/
For Time
1 Mile Run
100 Pull-Ups
200 Push-Ups
300 Air Squats
1 Mile Run
Partition the Pull-Ups, Push-Ups, and Squats as needed.

If you've got a 20 pound vest wear it.

Nope, I can't complete it.
The great thing about Murph (or Cindy), is that it's modular, scalable, and travels well. Some years, no vest. Some years, light vest, halve the reps, split it with a like-minded friend, bring it on vacation, or do the reps but assisted. It's also a great group activity.

My goal is to get back on track and hit the weigh goal I set in October 2018.

Starting Oct 2018 to Feb. this year I lost 65 pounds. The goal was to lose at least 35 so that I could get both my knees replaced at the same time rather than one after the other. Since I almost doubled the required amount of weight loss I was approved for the double and then went on to lose another 35 pounds between Feb and the surgery in May.

I lost another 20 since the surgery but in the last six weeks have been on "vacation mode" and put 15 back on. :s0001:

With the recent backsliding I now have 40 to go to hit my goal and plan on that happening no later than early May (my surgery anniversary date). Early April will be better.

I love weight lifting, but this coming year my sister signed the two of us up for a Tough Mudder 5k (or something like that). So it'll be fun to switch gears and do more of a HIIT/cardio focus for a year.

Same as each new year for 6 straight running, stop drinking anything but water and coffee, 3 sets each of ab rollers and push-ups, many as I can do each set. Cut breakfast and lunch to an apple, hand full of almonds and some dried fruit and no bread at dinner. Do this until mid-March / early april(kids spring break) and I should drops weight / shape significantly. Last year it was 40+ pounds and 4" off belt.

Probably won't be as dramatic this year as I've did fairly well keeping most of it off added 8 pounds during holidays but haven't changed pant size)

Happy New Year all and best of success in 20!

Eat more BBQ, drink more Beer, and die fat and happy @51!

Not quite! Found a hyper focused work out that is high output, low impact, and it combined with proper diet, i'm finally getting on top of the weight! Currently tripping the scales @230 ( down from 245) and need to get down to 185 to low 190ish!
So far, so good! :s0155:

Well, this year I aim to step out of my shell and talk to as many women as possible and land one for a significant other. That is the mental fitness goal! :D

As for the fitness goal, hmm, I am 5'11" and weigh 160#s at age 35, but starting to round out. I aim to run, stretch, and lift more. I actually want to GAIN weight and be more fit with strength so I carry my girl and an elk leg shank out of the woods. :D

But, the reality is to get back to my former martial artist self and try out for stuntman roles. I put that off toooooo long. Being on the west coast should help.:cool:

Getting my butt back into the gym (which is conveniently in my own damn garage!).

I realized this fall that I'm not getting any younger (43), that my work (desk job) will consume me if I let it, and that I needed a "reason" to not let it for each season of the year - and that I needed to actually devote my time to that reason. When I was younger (11-20) that reason in the winter was snowboarding. Since my kids expressed interest last year, I bought season passes for the three of us and after going up a couple of times it is painfully obvious to me that I'm fat and out of shape compared to where I should be to do the things I used to do.

So, tomorrow morning, I'm putting together my training plan for the next three months and getting started.

Sad to say, strokes do not discriminate by age, but by LIFESTYLE or simply bad luck (and sometimes genes). Strokes are on the rise in USA, and are affecting the younger population/ generation than before.:(
Lost three friends ( siblings) to strokes, all died before the age of 27! Craziest thing, never thought it could/would happen, and what's worse, they all knew it was coming and there was nothing the medical community could do about it!

I see I put on 5 pounds over the last couple of months, so that has gotta go. One thing I have learned is that it is far easier to eat right than try and exercise the weight off.

I've been cluttering up the exercise thread for a while with my progress.......

I woke up one Monday morning a while back, tired, overweight and hungover. Looked in the mirror and hated what looked back. That was 03 June 2019.

So I went dry, cut out all the garbage from my diet including most carbs (not really keto but close) and started hitting the gym a couple months after that. The first few weeks were pretty tough, but having been a "workout guy" in the past I fell back into a routine pretty fast. Self discipline is key, and saying no to food and drink is tough, but gets easier.

So far I've gone from 232 to 195, from a tight 36" jean to a loose 34 even with my G45 IWB. My first treadmill run in August was 3/4 of a mile and I felt like I was going to die. Today I'm regularly doing 5-6 miles and sometimes more if my knees say it's ok. My initial bench press was around 155. I'm up to 225 now.

My 2020 goals are as follows:
Stay dry.
Run a few 10k's this summer.
Bench 305. I did it before, I can do it again.

Lastly, show all the people that try and tell me I'm "getting older" and shouldn't be pushing myself so hard that age is just a number. It doesn't mean anything and there isn't a time to just give up because one is supposedly "too old". I can EASILY out pace and out lift most dudes in their 20's and 30's. I'm in my mid-40's.

I look in the mirror now and like what looks back. I get compliments often about the shape I'm in. That's all fine and dandy, but what motivates me more than any of that is the people that try and tell me I shouldn't work out like I do. Keep saying it, and I'll push even that much harder. I've been to the gym twice today.

Here's to a healthy 2020 for you all. Remember, it's NEVER too late. :cool::s0160:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top