JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even the good Smith and Wesson's require a lot of work to get close but the engineering of the Colt is such the Smith can't quite get there. The double action trigger pull on a Python is unmatched for a revolver
I disagree.:mad: Revolver competition shooting is +95 % dominated by Smith and Wesson revolvers.
If the Colt has such superior engineering why don't we see them kicking bubblegum at a match?:oops:
The Python is a well made but exspensive revolver. For much less money you could buy 2 S&W
Performance center revolvers.:eek: My buddy has a beautiful 6 inch nickel Python. We shoot it
along with my standard production S&W 686, 6 inch. We both shoot the 686 better?:oops:
The S&W fits my hand and the sights seem to work better for me than the Python.:D
Uncle Jerry's 12 shots from a Smith and Wesson revolver in less than 3 seconds!:eek::eek::eek:

Last Edited:
Considering a 22 wheel gun as one of the choices here makes all the sense in the world (now that ammo is finally coming back in boxes of 50-500). But I'm surprised that a .357 magnum revolver isn't the other candidate on this A or B short list.

While I own a 9mm pistol (with more to come), it wouldn't occur to me to get a revolver for the luger round.

IMHO, a .357 magnum revolver is a far more versatile and useful alternative given the WIDE variety of readily available ammo it'll shoot - from really cheap/gentle .38 target loads to extra lethal hollow point warheads.

S&W 686.JPG

If I was going to get a 22 revolver it would be the Ruger SP101, very cool looking gun!

View attachment 406891

I was looking at that model as well as the Ruger GP100, speciacly the Gallery of Guns Distributor Exclusive model which appears to be almost identical to the SP101 in .22lr but the GP100 will hold 10 rounds and the SP101 will hold 8. Outside of that I need to do a little more research to find out what other difference there are.

The Ruger GP100 Gallery of Guns Distributor Exclusive in .22lr
1766.jpg

I disagree.:mad: Revolver competition shooting is +95 % dominated by Smith and Wesson revolvers.
If the Colt has such superior engineering why don't we see them kicking bubblegum at a match?:oops:
The Python is a well made but exspensive revolver. For much less money you could buy 2 S&W
Performance center revolvers.:eek: My buddy has a beautiful 6 inch nickel Python. We shoot it
along with my standard production S&W 686, 6 inch. We both shoot the 686 better?:oops:
The S&W fits my hand and the sights seem to work better for me than the Python.:D
Uncle Jerry's 12 shots from a Smith and Wesson revolver in less than 3 seconds!:eek::eek::eek:
Colt has made very few revolvers in the last 20 years and spends little promoting them. I don't think that is a good comparison. In the old days Colt was a major player in competition. Uncle Jerry is incredible........and very well paid by Smith. Like a top F1 driver, he will work for and be successful with whoever hires him. In the old days, Colt made a wide variety of frame and grip size revolvers, I am sure one of them would fit you well. Colt target guns were very popular and successful when they chose to compete head to head with the Smiths. Colt target revolvers are still highly sought after and even show up at the range from time to time. At one time, they were the gold standard.

Last Edited:
Normally I wouldn't give away this secret, as I used to buy every one I could find, but I have more than enough in my collection now to keep me happy.

The answer you seek is:

High Standard Double Nine

Seriously, folks, these are some of my favorite .22 LR revolvers in existance! Sure, they're not as nice as the Colt, S&W, or Ruger offerings, but they can usually be found for around $200-300 depending on the model and condition.

They are a 9-shot double action revolver, as the name implies, and have an alloy frame with a steel cylinder and barrel. They come in every configuration imaginable, with lots of different barrel lengths to choose from, too.

There's the western series (W prefix) like the Durango, that look like a single action. There's also the Sentinel and Sentinal Deluxe (R prefix) that look like older police revolvers. I even have a snub-nose version and a 4" kit gun! I'd say most of the western versions have a 5.5" barrel, and the Sentinels tend to have a 6" barrel.

I have a really beat up western model that goes with me almost every range trip, and also accompanies me when hunting or camping. I've shot the thing so much I actually got it to start keyholing due to the lead build-up on the crown, but a good cleaning brought it right back on target. Almost every range trip I warm up and wind down with it, often shooting steel plates at 30-40 yards with it. Once the trigger is broke in it's not bad at all, even in double action.

They're not the most robust due to the alloy frame, but they have quite a bit to offer for their price range. If you ever see one in the wild, I'd highly recommend taking a closer look at it, but make sure to message me first! ;)
This is a good example of a high quality gun that isn't necessarily expensive. We spent a day at the ex-East German Olympic shooting training facility in Suhl a couple of years ago. It is still the go to place for nations to send Olympic hopefuls for training. Among the Hammerellis, Russian and German precision weapons were a group of well used High Standard semi automatic 22 target pistols. They have always been world class and successfully compete with the best ever built.

to the OP:
years ago as someone new to the world of target shooting, I was overwhelmed by the endless choices and variations of 22LR handguns. I spent a couple years learning considerable by joining an indoor bullseye club. It was well worth the time & effort, and the basics have remained a fundamental to augment the enjoyment of any and all range time since those days.

The NRA style targets introduced me to a way to actually determine which of the many variables were improving (or not) my own groups. The 3 types of target competition (slow/timed/rapid fire stages) helped correlate the confusing/often conflicting needs regarding how to get best accuracy from the 'lowly 22 pistol'. Perhaps center fire classes would have done the same, yet there were no widely available training at that time.

If enjoyment and training is your goal, a platform that operates on pennies per round offers considerable return. I can attend a speed steel match, using a 22 ammo, which costs maybe $8.00 max for the entire match; or I can use a 9mm platform. Even with reloads, the cost for ammo components is considerably more. The last 'target quality' 22LR I bought cost $42/brick/500 rounds. The last box of 9mm boolits I bought cost more than that, plus primers/powder/brass/time to assemble.

to the OP:
years ago as someone new to the world of target shooting, I was overwhelmed by the endless choices and variations of 22LR handguns. I spent a couple years learning considerable by joining an indoor bullseye club. It was well worth the time & effort, and the basics have remained a fundamental to augment the enjoyment of any and all range time since those days.

The NRA style targets introduced me to a way to actually determine which of the many variables were improving (or not) my own groups. The 3 types of target competition (slow/timed/rapid fire stages) helped correlate the confusing/often conflicting needs regarding how to get best accuracy from the 'lowly 22 pistol'. Perhaps center fire classes would have done the same, yet there were no widely available training at that time.

If enjoyment and training is your goal, a platform that operates on pennies per round offers considerable return. I can attend a speed steel match, using a 22 ammo, which costs maybe $8.00 max for the entire match; or I can use a 9mm platform. Even with reloads, the cost for ammo components is considerably more. The last 'target quality' 22LR I bought cost $42/brick/500 rounds. The last box of 9mm boolits I bought cost more than that, plus primers/powder/brass/time to assemble.
I learned as a young guy on the Washington National Guard pistol team that higher scores are available with bigger bullets. Other than those obvious advantage the 22 is as or more accurate as any caliber. I do love a 38 wadcutter punching 36 caliber holes in a target. They look like products of a paper punch.

Colt has made very few revolvers in the last 20 years and spends little promoting them. I don't think that is a good comparison. In the old days Colt was a major player in competition. Uncle Jerry is incredible........and very well paid by Smith. Like a top F1 driver, he will work for and be successful with whoever hires him. In the old days, Colt made a wide variety of frame and grip size revolvers, I am sure one of them would fit you well. Colt target guns were very popular and successful when they chose to compete head to head with the Smiths. Colt target revolvers are still highly sought after and even show up at the range from time to time. At one time, they were the gold standard.
In PPC shooting (started in about 1956), which could arguably be called the King of revolver competitions, pretty much zero Colts were/are used, let alone would win in competitions. Smith & Wesson ruled and likely still does. The Ruger is plenty accurate for this game but many have grown very used to the DA stroke of the Smith. All shooting is done DA, even out to the 50 yd line and groups are smaller than your fist with 150 rounds from a competitive shooter.
Colts are exceedingly overrated.. see my post #56.

In PPC shooting (started in about 1956), which could arguably be called the King of revolver competitions, pretty much zero Colts were/are used, let alone would win in competitions. Smith & Wesson ruled and likely still does. The Ruger is plenty accurate for this game but many have grown very used to the DA stroke of the Smith. All shooting is done DA, even out to the 50 yd line and groups are smaller than your fist with 150 rounds from a competitive shooter.
Colts are exceedingly overrated.. see my post #56.
Colts dominated competition when they chose to compete. From the 20's through the 40's the hand fit target Officers target and official police target revolvers were the class of everything from 22-38 and large bore competitions. The first serious Smith competition revolver was the excellent M55 (I have one in my safe) designed specifically to compete with the large bore Colts. The Combat masterpiece K frames could be made to be competitive but out of the box the Officers target was superior being hand fit and tuned at the factory. Get out an old American Rifleman magazine. There are countless conversations about it. Have you ever fired a Shooting Master or Officers target?

Colt does not currently make a revolver of any type in .22LR conversation concerning Colt Handguns within the context of this thread is moot.
I hate to point out that it's only moot IF the OP only planning on a New Gun purchase. There are many fine .22 Rimfire Wheel Out there on the Used Market and since they seem to last forever...

I won't get into the "My DOG is Bigger, Smaller, Prettier, Uglier, Newer, Older, MORE Powerful, Quieter, etc. etc. etc...." Nonsense and wish the OP Good Luck and Happy Shooting!:D:D:D

I was looking at that model as well as the Ruger GP100, speciacly the Gallery of Guns Distributor Exclusive model which appears to be almost identical to the SP101 in .22lr but the GP100 will hold 10 rounds and the SP101 will hold 8. Outside of that I need to do a little more research to find out what other difference there are.

The Ruger GP100 Gallery of Guns Distributor Exclusive in .22lr
View attachment 406983
Wow, I like the look of the SP101, and I like the GP100 even better.

OP:
I've been enthusiastic 22 revolver guy for decades; recently Ruger brought forth upon this continent a new 10-shot wheel gun, testing whether this revolver or any such 5.5" revolver so designed & so dedicated, could long endure...etc etc....

After having only a couple weeks to practice with the GP100-22, I managed to turn in the best personal match time in a decade in my new home, the beloved geezer class.

And while the SP101 8 shot does look intriguing enough I may have to somehow acquire one of those too, the marvelous S&W 617 4" has served me long & well. While we don't all have the same spec for our 22LR revolvers, I'd encourage you to look around for a decent bargain on a quality marque, as 6-8-10 shot all have their own advantages.

One of the detectives used to shoot his 4" S&W revolver 6 shot in the speed steel events a few years ago. He was amazingly fast & accurate with it, usually in the top 5. He told me he used the event & specific revolver to upgrade his ongoing tactical training.

Normally I wouldn't give away this secret, as I used to buy every one I could find, but I have more than enough in my collection now to keep me happy.

The answer you seek is:

Seriously, folks, these are some of my favorite .22 LR revolvers in existance! Sure, they're not as nice as the Colt, S&W, or Ruger offerings, but they can usually be found for around $200-300 depending on the model and condition.

They are a 9-shot double action revolver, as the name implies, and have an alloy frame with a steel cylinder and barrel. They come in every configuration imaginable, with lots of different barrel lengths to choose from, too.

There's the western series (W prefix) like the Durango, that look like a single action. There's also the Sentinel and Sentinal Deluxe (R prefix) that look like older police revolvers. I even have a snub-nose version and a 4" kit gun! I'd say most of the western versions have a 5.5" barrel, and the Sentinels tend to have a 6" barrel.

I have a really beat up western model that goes with me almost every range trip, and also accompanies me when hunting or camping. I've shot the thing so much I actually got it to start keyholing due to the lead build-up on the crown, but a good cleaning brought it right back on target. Almost every range trip I warm up and wind down with it, often shooting steel plates at 30-40 yards with it. Once the trigger is broke in it's not bad at all, even in double action.

They're not the most robust due to the alloy frame, but they have quite a bit to offer for their price range. If you ever see one in the wild, I'd highly recommend taking a closer look at it, but make sure to message me first! ;)

The answer you seek is:

Totally agree, bought one second hand in the late 60's, it's a w-104 with 9.5 in barrel. Still dead accurate after all those yrs. of shooting.

9mm revolvers can be problematic, especially the light weight ones. The problem is that 9mm ammo is taper crimped, and the bullets can walk out of the case during recoil and jam up the cylinder. Some ammo has a lighter crimp than others, so you may have to experiment to find an ammo that works. I personally believe that 9mm was designed for semi-autos and it should stay that way. Get the .22lr. You will be happier.

Korth makes one a them lightweight Sky Marshal 9mm revolvers. I think the proprietary speedloaders cost more than a Ruger though. don't really know
Get one a those!

Korth makes one a them lightweight Sky Marshal 9mm revolvers. I think the proprietary speedloaders cost more than a Ruger though. don't really know
Get one a those!
They are pretty much custom built to the customers specifications. Looks like today, they start around 10K but they are incredible. I fired one of the prototypes in Germany in the late 70's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top