JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at pickup up my first revolver. Mainly just something to play with and try out at the range. At the time I do not want to get involved in a new caliber so my current pistol calibers are limited to .22lr and 9mm. I know a 9mm revolver takes the special clips but outside of that is there any reason to steer clear of them?

Any input on .22lr vs 9mm revolvers for strictly range use?

9mm has been done to death. A 22LR revolver is probably going to be my next purchase. 22LR is straight up fun. These days it's more bang for your buck again as well.

9mm revolvers, while available are rare. Buy a good quality 22, it will be a lifetime gun and shoot it as much as possible. Rimless cartridges don't work well in revolvers in general. I use 1/2 moon clips in my 1917 Colt 45ACP but thay can be a PIA. The gun can be shot without them but it takes something like a nail to push out fired brass.

Get both. Get two LCR's!

Ruger_LCR_9mm_Rvolver_F.jpg

LCR-22-1.jpg

The 9mm wheel gun generally come in two configurations. The ones that work and stay working. Then there are the ones that are a problem project and seldom really work properly. As for the .22 Rimfire Guns. You will find they like a particular breed or brand of Ammunition - very common with the .22 Rimfire. If you buy a Quality revolver - Smith and Wesson, Colt, Ruger - you will be buying it for your Greatgrand Kids and not just for yourself. Smith and Wesson makes Double Action in both their "J" and "K" Frame revolvers. Ruger offers both Double and Single Action Guns. Same way with Colt. Price wise the Colt will be the most, Ruger will be the least with the Smith and Wessons coming somewhere in between. Both Ruger and Smith and Wesson Models are offered with additional cylinders in .22 Rimfire Magnum. Colt doesn't.

Being a Smith and Wesson Collector I prefer them to the others but I do own a sample of all three simply because I like Rimfire.

You'll never go wrong with a .22 revolver. And you can use it in the future as an introductory device, introducing new shooters to the sport...

Every complete collection should have a .22 revolver and .22 semiauto...

Heywood has a good point, revolvers cost a bit more in general because of the added precision machining involved.
I really don't get the "getting involved" in a new caliber when referring to revolvers. I'm presuming that you shoot and stock in 9mm and like most prudent gun owners keep what you consider a reasonable supply on hand.
IMHO, revolvers are fun guns, so a couple of 50rnd boxes of FMJ or wadcutters for targets or plinking are enough. Sure, I have some hot, JHP's for each revolver but that is just backups for the backups of the backups! A couple boxes in each caliber.
I highly recommend a .357/.38spl as a first center fire revolver! Why shoot what you shoot all the time! I use revolvers to test my accuracy in single action, that's just me though! My latested handgun purchase was a little Ruger .22 SP101. Haven't even shot it yet but I sure love it! :D Best of luck on your decision, let us know how you go! Steve D25EDD63-B646-45EC-B59F-174FF31CE8F4.jpeg

Last Edited:
I think you guys have help me lean more towards the .22lr purchase. My concern with the 9mm would be having those clips on hand forever, where with the 22 I would never have to worry about that.

I am a big fan of Ruger myself, own many of their firearms and have always been happy. I was looking into the SP101 and the GP100. They both look pretty similar but I see one is a 8 shot and one is a 10 shot. I would have to handle them both before making up my mind.

I know I didn't want to get a stubby for my first revolver, and I also did not want to get a giant 6"+ as well. I think the 4"ish is a good compromise.

Too many variables, and we don't know how much money you want to spend.

If it's just a toy for the range, don't skimp on size. A single action Ruger Single Six .22 is a great choice. And a little bigger, the Blackhawk convertible in .357/9mm could end up being your all time favorite handgun. My experience, the Blackhawk 9mm is extremely accurate and very easy to shoot. Since it's single action, moon clips are not needed for ejection.

And if you settle on a double action revolver in 9mm, moon or half moon clips are not worth the effort. It's easier to carry a pencil or short dowel rod in your pocket to push out the empties.

Little tiny 9mm's and .22's like the Ruger LCR are great to carry, but they are a poor compromise when you actually shoot them.

They've been out of production for a lot of years, but still available for a price, the Ruger Speed Six in 9mm is an excellent choice. Maybe the all time best choice.

In .22 DA revolvers, S&W has made numerous versions over a lot of years. And the older the version, the better it will shoot. Now, the models 617 and 64 are their offerings. My experience, is they are both mediocre in performance.

Ruger makes a double action SP101 and GP100 in .22. The GP100 is by far the superior performer, but it might take a little tweaking and smoothing to get the most out of it.

Last Edited:
I think you guys have help me lean more towards the .22lr purchase. My concern with the 9mm would be having those clips on hand forever, where with the 22 I would never have to worry about that.

I am a big fan of Ruger myself, own many of their firearms and have always been happy. I was looking into the SP101 and the GP100. They both look pretty similar but I see one is a 8 shot and one is a 10 shot. I would have to handle them both before making up my mind.

I know I didn't want to get a stubby for my first revolver, and I also did not want to get a giant 6"+ as well. I think the 4"ish is a good compromise.
I love my GP .357 but it's a beasty of a gun, even with the 4".
I'd think the .22 would be even heavier.

.22lr for sure! Personally, I like any double action 22 revolver with a swing out cylinder. HKS even makes speed loaders for many models including an old 9-shot H&R I got for $40. IMHO, single action eats up a lot of range time, and more patience than I possess in a modern world where everything else moves 10-100 times faster.

I can't count how many people (dozens) I've taught how to use a pistol with that fun little 22. And while .22lr ammo is available again (at least until both Governor Browns completely sabotage the west coast forever - WA will simply fall as the third domino), there is nothing more economical. Stocking up a little makes a lot of sense.

I love my GP .357 but it's a beasty of a gun, even with the 4".
I'd think the .22 would be even heavier.

just pause for a moment & reflect on Sir Isaac Newton, who wrote his 2nd Law of Motion after a trip to the range with his GP100-22: "for every snub nosed alloy lightweight wiggly 22 revolver that is easy to carry and easier to miss your bullseye, there exists a longer heavier more perfect 22 revolver that is stable and far far easier to HIT your bullseye":rolleyes:

cbzdel,

Since you are wanting it to have fun basically. And you want a Revolver one of the guys mentioned a Ruger Single Six. You can also get them with a 22 LR and a 22 Magnum Cylinder! Wish I had mine back that I sold years ago. Certainly should have kept it and remember having a great time shooting it. Other than that S&W makes a fine K-22 cal revolver if you can find one at a decant price? Modern style Ruger revolvers are nice as well. And the guys are correct! To me those 9mm Clips are a PITA! That is why I would not purchase a 9mm Revolver. The more rounds you shoot at a time the larger the pain gets!;)

Last Edited:
Another issue with 9mm revolvers is the cartridge lacks a crimp, hot 9mm, especially in the little light weight numbers, can pull bullets on you.
The 9mm doesn't offer the selection of bullets and loadings available in something like a 38 special or 357 either. They are all designed to feed in a semi auto so loaded cartridges have to fit into specific length parameters. The required seating on the mouth of the case makes crimped or cantalured bullets problematic.