JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All,
My name is Bill and I am new to the forum and NWF. I just won an auction on GunTrader for a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum, 4" barrel. This is my first handgun, though I have shot a fair amount over the years in the service and some of my brother's collection. The gun is primarily for back-country use, but I will be taking out for some practice. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping some on the forum can offer advice on:
1.) I would guess shooting 44 special is the obvious choice for practice ammo and loads for home defense. Any suggestions on particular brand and good places to buy?
2.) As I do a lot of flyfishing, I'm trying to decide what would be the best holster style to consider and any suggestions from others who pack this or like revolver would be appreciated.
Thanks!

i dont no about 44special but for magnum look up double tap ammo good ammo for hunting or the woods and reasonable if you ever go to Alaska try Randy Garrett his hammer head ammo is good but pricey i like double tap for the money

I'm not a big proponent of designer ammo, I would just get some Speer or Remington. Best bet is to reload. As far as a holster when fishing I like a Uncle Mikes chest rig and a 7.5" SRH. It keeps the revolver up high and out of my way. It's a full flap chest rig that keeps the gun dry and is quickly accessible.

I was going to find that real nice leather chest rig someone put on here a month ago,but it might not be the best for wet conditions.So madcrate's suggestion sounded good

Only problem is your fly vest and the new cool chest rigs for fly fishing make it a problem.It would kinda get in the way.
Where do guys wear their guns when wearing chest waders?

And sorry,but have to ad this....How is paying more than anyone else would for the gun winning it?
Never got that "win the auction" thing with the ebay crowd either

I was going to find that real nice leather chest rig someone put on here a month ago,but it might not be the best for wet conditions.So madcrate's suggestion sounded good

Only problem is your fly vest and the new cool chest rigs for fly fishing make it a problem.It would kinda get in the way.
Where do guys wear their guns when wearing chest waders?

And sorry,but have to ad this....How is paying more than anyone else would for the gun winning it?
Never got that "win the auction" thing with the ebay crowd either

Does sound odd, but if you "win a bid/auction" and the price you pay is $250 less than you've seen the same gun (NIB) anywhere, it works for me :s0155:

I rarely used chest-high waders and I fish with a fanny pack, so my chest area has plenty of space for a shoulder strap and holster...just need to figure out which one? I've been looking at the Galco, Uncle Mike's, Simply Rugged products as suggested, but it's a little confusing and I'm reluctant to order one I cannot try out first.

That's why I was hoping someone on the forum who fishes might also pack this particular model gun and suggest a specific model holster -- appreciate all the feedback!
Thanks,
Bill

I have this handgun. I pack it in the woods a lot. However, not while fishing. I have always used the common and cheap uncle mikes belt holster for this particular gun / use. If you are going to be in deeper than the knees though that would not be ideal. But, I can not imagine a redhawk being anywhere near comfortable in a shoulder or chest harness.

Lot of help I am... ;)

I have carried a blackhawk shoulder rig and it isn't that bad.Better than pullin' down on the britches for me
And I do have the older version of the Uncle Mikes that I use for my 22 pistola.But it has the narrow straps.But it can hold my buckmark with or without a scope.Uncle mikes put up a picture of a camo holster on a camo hunting jacket.Apparently not much to show off.
But you can find then in the used bin at the small shops to try.Maybe that says something about them?

But here's the one I was looking for.Wide straps to carry the weight better.

Guides Choice Chest Holster, Original Alaskan Holster

I have carried a blackhawk shoulder rig and it isn't that bad.Better than pullin' down on the britches for me
And I do have the older version of the Uncle Mikes that I use for my 22 pistola.But it has the narrow straps.But it can hold my buckmark with or without a scope.Uncle mikes put up a picture of a camo holster on a camo hunting jacket.Apparently not much to show off.
But you can find then in the used bin at the small shops to try.Maybe that says something about them?

But here's the one I was looking for.Wide straps to carry the weight better.

Guides Choice Chest Holster, Original Alaskan Holster

Cool, this one looks like a good option. It's similar to another I stumbled on but made of nylon vs. leather -- which might be better for a flyfishing (always a chance of getting wet).
Leather & Nylon Holster - The One Holster That Does It All!

This style does seem like the best way to keep the gun at the ready, nice and secure and most importantly...not interfere with my cast :s0155:

I really appreciate all the advice!

I would guess either one would work fine in the water since both are advertised for fishing,so cost would be the difference.But the one you linked does look like a pretty versatile system.
If they do get wet,the main thing would be to throw them on the dash to dry and keep mold off

Yeah at half the cost I would be thinking about the WWL one

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews