JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
fender,

How much, if any pistol experience do you have? If none, or little I strongly recommend nothing larger than a 9mm, if the weapon has to perform training and self protection. A .40SW or .45ACP is much more difficult to learn to shoot for a beginner because of the much greater recoil and muzzle blast, not to mention more expensive to shoot, especially for the .45. The 1911 platform is finicky, and expensive to buy a good gun. If education is the first priority, and especially if the wife may participate, a Ruger .22 auto is a great trainer, and cheap to shoot. Also probably the most reliable out there, Ruger customer service is excellent, and accessories are readily available.

I would suggest going to a local range and renting several guns and play for awhile. You need to find one that works for you. Don't let others push their likes/dislikes on you. Find a handgun that fits, feels and is comfortable to you. In my case my daily carry weapon is a Walther PPS in 9mm. It's small, thin and shoots well. I also enjoy shooting my Hi-Power and my 45. There all great and a pleasure to shoot.

I concur with the people that say try a number of guns before you buy. There's places that rent guns or you could make friends with someone who owns several.

I would suggest going to a local range and renting several guns and play for awhile. You need to find one that works for you. Don't let others push their likes/dislikes on you. Find a handgun that fits, feels and is comfortable to you.

This here's good advice, especially if you live in an area with ranges that also rent handguns.
Back when I was "getting into" guns, that wasn't a possibility, as it may still be for someone that doesn't live in an urban area that has a good range.

The first handgun I got 40 years ago at the age of 12 was a Ruger SuperBlackhawk. I was misguided... crazy to start with a .44 magnum. Luckily, I've gotten wise(er) since then.

I'll spare you the details of all of the personal tests I did and simply agree with the folks who have said to try before you buy. You need to get a handgun that fits well in your hand and which you can shoot with the greatest accuracy - almost a bonding process.

These work best for me:

.22 LR - SIG Mosquito
9MM - Belgian Browning Hi-power, SIG P226
45 ACP - 1911, SIG P220, FN FNP-45

Good luck in finding what works best for you :)

I've had the following .22 semi-auto: A Ruger Mark III Hunter that probably really could have shot flies off a wall at 50 feet if my 4-eyes could have seen them. I've had the following 9mm's: A Springfield XD9 (even better in XD/M version), a CZ 75B 9mm (one of the world's best and most underappreciated steel frame 9mms), a KelTec PF9 (tiny pocket cannon that was way better than people think it is), and currently own a CZ P07 Duty 9mm, a fairly new CZ model that's an amazingly accurate and smooth-running pistol (16+1 capacity) you can own for a hair over $400 new and less used. I've had the following in .40 S&W: Bersa Ultracompact 40 (another reliable under-appreciated Argentine-made gun that goes new for under $350), S&W M&P .40 (ditto the comments on how great it is), and currently own and carry a Kahr MP40 that is very accurate, tiny, light, and comes with what has to be the smoothest production double action trigger around, while also being pretty pricey for something that takes up so little space and weighs so little. And I've had te following .45s: A Sig P220 (great, proven, and accurate .45 but also expensive, traded it only because it just didn't fit my hands), a Springfield XD 45 (super gun that I probably made a mistake trading for another gun), a Para GI Expert 1911 .45 (Para's low end $550 1911 that was gorgeous and shot great but just lacked a little something that I couldn't define), and I still own a $400 Phillipine-made Rock Island Armory Officers 1911 .45 that looks kind of rough but remains the most accurate, reliable, and most fun to shoot pistol I've ever had owned, along with my latest purchase, an Israeli-made Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 CZ-clone that is the softest shooting big caliber gun I've ever had and comes with precision engineering and production that makes it look like it should cost way more than the $525 I paid for it. The bottom line here is that there are a lot of great guns now that sell for from $350-550 new and will give you a lifetime of good service. If you can't afford all of that at once, some gun shops including major dealers have discovered the old magic thing called layaway. Cabela's (In Lacey, WA and Springfield, OR) offers layaway with what I think is 30% down and 90 days to pay the balance, no interest and no monthly payment requirement. Buds Gun Shop on-line has the same no-interest layaway plan with 25% down and 90 days to pay it off, also with no monthly payment requirement. Even private dealers on Gunbroker.com and some local dealers have layaway plans. So don't give up until you check it all out. FYI, I and what I'd bet are a lot of people on this forum have been in your shoes, wondering how we were going to dig ourselves out of a hole and feeling like we never were. One thing a good friend told me was not to think I'd save by denying myself a hobby. Just realize that the gun you get, even though it may not be as pretty as the guy's shooting next to you, shoots lead at the same velocity that his does. People still can't believe it when they ask what I'm using and outshooting their $1000 1911 with, which also has run through 200 rounds without a malfunction while theirs are still jamming once every mag even after the second trip back to the factory, and I show them my $400 Rock Island Armory supposed Phillipine-made POS. It can actually bring some joy to being less than independently wealthy. Hang in there, regardless if ehatever else you do.

I missed your question about Yhe Bersa and Taurus pistols. I owned a Bersa and it was a fine weapon. The newer Bersa Pro series guns have upgraded features like polygonal rifling that you find in Glocks and the upper level Kahrs. Great guns for thr price, but you'll never get close to what you paid for them if you want to sell them in the future. I've never had a Taurus, and some people just think they're lousy, buy they do come with lifetime warranties. Whatever you do, don't rush into a purchase. Pick what you can afford, consider layaway as an option (no credit check, no interest, no minimum monthly payment, so what could be better), and find something you like. I didnt mention Glocks, but only because I've never had one. Also great guns. Given your financial situation, though, I'd try and stick with a new gun, many of which have lengthy or lifetime warranties. One major malfunction on a used gun can be a whole gun's worth of money. I'm not sure what the warranty is on the pre-owned police Glocks, but I'm sure some of the people on here can advise you on that, if you're thinking along those lines. Again, good luck.

I think a 9mm is a great choice for a first gun. I used Youtube and Best9mm.com to guide me for my first pistol. Then I narrowed my choice down to 3, went to a gun shop, held each one in my hand and bought the one that was the most comfortable. That was a CZ75b. Great pistol by the way. I did end up trading it in for an XD. I just prefer the lighter frames.

Thanks folks. Nothing is going to happen any time soon, but I just like to figure out what I might want to get when the time is right. I get to drop nearly $2k in a month or two on a talking computer for my son who has a severe speech delay. SD/HD is important, but sometimes other things have a higher priority. Some day...

I'm sure I'll catch the devil for these comments, but they're simply opinons and observations from many years at ranges and time spent using handguns.
I'm in complete opposition to somebody starting out with a .22 pistol, unless their only purpose would be cheap or fun plinking/target shooting.

IMO, If the party is looking for a possible PD weapon they need to start with at least a full size 9mm pistol.
A 9mm will let them get used to the report, recoil, and 2nd shot follow up easily. The 9mm has a good record as a solid PD weapon. It's reasonably inexpensive to shoot at the range. Ammo can be found for as little as $5.99 a box/50 if they watch the ammo sales. $6.99/box isn't uncommon for good quality range ammo.
The .22 pistols have no recoil or muzzle flip. no serious delay in being able to get a follow up shot., and no report to alarm them. They make terrible PD weapons. sure the .22 has killed every animal onthe planet at one time or another, but I'd hate to not have it do the job as needed any other time.
In the case of the OP,he's asking for something that'll give him the capability of possible use later in LE work. a 22 won't cut it.
He can currently get a good solid used S&W 5906 for around $300 + shipping and transfer fees. It is an excellent pistol and was originally designed specifically for LE work.
So for under $400 he can get a pistol capable of holding 15 rounds of 9mm ammo, and well suited for the needs he described, including working with LE.

For the record, I own numerous handguns in 22 LR and 22 Magnum, 25 cal, 380 ACP, 9mm, 38, 357 Magnum, 41 magnum, 45 ACP, 44 magnum & 38 S&W. I have experience handling all of these, so I'm not talking out of the side of my face.

I hope for the OP to find exactly what he needs the first time out. Do the homework and plan carefully.

XdM in 9mm...Have one with 3.8 barrel, like it a lot. The 45 is nice too.
357 is a great 1st gun though and could be less $$ than XdM. Pick up a nice used 686.
P22s are toys. I have one for plinking at cans but that's it. It's finicky, rounds jam in the mag.
As for 1911s, I have 2, one hi cap, one classic 1991a1, but I'd lean towards it's replacement (Beretta M9) as a 1st gun.

I'll get on the Glock 19 train here, I suppose.

Our choice came from spending plenty of time at Bellevue Gun Club shooting every gun on my list. Then shooting them again. Then waxing with my wife about which we liked best tonight. Then reading more. Then back to Bellevue Gun Club...FYI, go on Ladies Night and your wife shoots for 5 bucks

The G19 is a little too big to conceal easily but a great choice for your 1st if CC isn't your top priority. If CC is your top priority, I'll suggest the Kel Tec PF-9...light, small, concealable, affordable, reliable for most and enough stopping power for most

Lots of great advice so far.
From your original post you said, "Sometime in the future though I'm planning on becoming a reserve with one of the local agencies." Here is my thought on that. Find out from your local agency what is on their approved gun list and also what most actually carry. Approved gun list will probably be something like S&W, Sig, Springfield, Glock, etc. with model and caliber. Then find out what is the most carried weapon. Buddy of mine did not like Glocks so he went with a S&W because it fit his hand better. Everybody else carries Glock and now so does he. With the proper training you can be good with any gun. Money is tight, why spend it on something that won't meet your future needs? Research now, get the facts, set a goal and make a plan to get what will work for your future needs. Now if you get that money tree to produce fruit I would say there are a bunch of guns that you need. Good luck,
Mike

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top