JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a nice surprise today in some extra cash and I would like to get something super fun to shoot, IE a full auto firearm. Looking over GB, I see several but most look to be almost home made with the full auto receiver and they run around 30k. I also found a few WWII MP 40s for a lot less which would be very nice to have just for the historical value.
What would you guys recommend ?

It depends on what you want to get into and what your budget is. From my point of view, I'd avoid the lower priced stuff like MACs and Stemples. –No offense to those who own them and like theirs.

Look for something that has a plentiful supply of mags, replacement parts, and is in a caliber you can afford to shoot. There are some great guns out there but unfortunately some of them lack good aftermarket support.

I’d also check in with the Uzi Talk forums. Don’t let the name fool you; they discuss many other NFA guns. It’s been a while since I was there but it used to be a pretty good resource for NFA knowledge.

UZI Talk Forums

I have maybe 30kish if I can find something nice. I was really looking at a STG 44 but the ammo costs/availability are a bubblegum. I was looking at a few MP5s and even thinking of maybe just getting a M4/M16 as ammo, parts, mags are easy to get and pretty cheap.

Here is another. I have done business with this guy.

WTS: HK MP5A3 RDTS W/S&H SEAR Pic $28.9k Efile

If I had the money that's probably what I would get.

MrBlond: One thing to keep in mind is that if it is in state and on a dealer's inventory, you could conceivably get it within a few months...if you use a trust and the dealer uses e-forms to file the form 4. There are some decent dealers around that might have some inventory as well. MLC Class III in Salem is the only one I know of right off hand with a storefront, but I'm sure there are more, as well a few others that you might be able find at various gun shows.

It depends on what you want to get into and what your budget is. From my point of view, I'd avoid the lower priced stuff like MACs and Stemples.
You say that, but you don't say why. Certainly you must have a reason for your opinion.

Look for something that has a plentiful supply of mags, replacement parts, and is in a caliber you can afford to shoot.
Which pretty much describes a M11-9 perfectly.
shockwavetechnologies.com - makes a well thought of mag for the M11-9.
Lage Manufacturing, L.L.C. MAX-11.com makes all kinds of parts and upgrades for the MAC family of fun guns, including a reliable .22LR kit.

I'd also check in with the Uzi Talk forums. Don't let the name fool you; they discuss many other NFA guns. It's been a while since I was there but it used to be a pretty good resource for NFA knowledge.

UZI Talk Forums
Great forum for NFA info, especially MAC info.

If I had the scratch I'd go with a M16 registered lower or a RDIAS if you can find one. The M16 platform can do everything from .22lr to big stuff like 50 Beowulf. MP5s are beautiful but limited to 9mm/40s&w/or 10mm if registered for all 3 calibers.

MP5s are beautiful but limited to 9mm/40s&w/or 10mm if registered for all 3 calibers.

It doesn't actually matter what calibers a machinegun is registered in. As long as you can go back to the registered caliber, you can temporarily change to any caliber you want. Now, with the eform system, even if something previously had multiple calibers listed in the registry, the eform process will truncate it to a single caliber on the form.

If I had the scratch I'd go with a M16 registered lower or a RDIAS if you can find one. The M16 platform can do everything from .22lr to big stuff like 50 Beowulf. MP5s are beautiful but limited to 9mm/40s&w/or 10mm if registered for all 3 calibers.

The sear is the registered part. You can take the trigger box and put it on a HK93,HK33,HK53,HK53K,HK91,HK51,HK51K,HKG3K,SP89 and a few other hosts in calibers 9mm,.223,300AAC,and 308. Most sears are registered in 9mm,223, and 308.

You say that, but you don't say why. Certainly you must have a reason for your opinion.

I want to lead off with if you like your MAC (or Stemple), that is great. You don't have to convince me that you really like what you own and purchased it for good reasons. I'm not here to insult your decision to purchase one. I don't want to argue with you about what their shortcomings are and what can be done to mitigate them.

I simply believe there are better options in the NFA market than getting a MAC or a Stemple, especially since the OP claims he has roughly $30K to spend.

Functionally, the MAC is fine, but it was designed to be a low cost firearm. It was generally simple to produce and does not have the things that separate good guns from the rest of the pack. In its stock configuration, it has lousy ergonomics, crude sights, and a so-so trigger. The rate of fire makes it challenging to control. -Fortunately, thanks to good aftermarket support, there are things that can be done to address these points. That said, people essentially have to spend a bit of money compensating for the firearm's inherent issues to turn it into what they want.

With Stemples, they're a neat idea poorly executed. The quality control on the Stemples is lacking. I've seen some that have had problems with the rivets popping out and awful triggers. If I'm spending thousands of dollars on a NFA gun, I'm not looking for a project gun that needs more work to make it functional and reliable.

Again, for those who have them or like them, you do not have to justify why you enjoy them. I accept that you do.

There's a few online boards that deal in the sale of NFA weapons. There's a limited amount of dealers locally that stock machineguns.

I would recommend an m16 given your budget. Lots of parts availability, customization, and you can use one lower with multiple uppers. You could have a short 5.56 upper, long 5.56 upper, 9mm upper, 22 upper. Plus they are collectible and have a lot more appeal than cheaper alternatives like MAC-10's etc.

If you're spending the time and the money and if it interests you may want to consider buying one more suppressors as well.

Also... I have a friend with a select-fire Uzi. It's a great gun, lots of fun to shoot. Highly recommended.

If it were me and I had that much to spend on NFA stuff I would get two guns, an Uzi and an AR with suppressors for both. That should eat up your $30k nicely.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top