JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mortars... and it's already old. They have been randomly lighting them for the last 5 days. I'm getting pissed.

Yeah, I guess that was kinda my point. Just wondering if all the fuse lighters would be at a soldiers back if we had to do this Independance Day thing again in our near or anytime future.
Just me, pulling a piece of carcass off the bbq at 11:30 on July 4, 2017.

Mortars, and roman candals were big hits.

The 20ish kids did long exposure pictures with sparklers.

The 6 year old was beside himself with being able to light off the smaller stuff.

Counting down the min till we can call it a night. Been in bed an hour but it's still like a war zone outside. Should subside in the next 20-30 min.

Yeah, I guess that was kinda my point. Just wondering if all the fuse lighters would be at a soldiers back if we had to do this Independance Day thing again in our near or anytime future.
Just me, pulling a piece of carcass off the bbq at 11:30 on July 4, 2017.

I'm in Woodburn, so most of the "fuse lighters" are "Drinko de Mayo"'types..... so no, no they wouldn't have "our" backs. :rolleyes:

Plus, the A-holes were lighting off HUGE window rattling mortars until after 1am, and we had to SERIOUSLY drug our dogs out to keep them calm. o_O

Wow, I am a little surprised to read this thread. I live in the county where launching fireworks is still legal (for now) and I was really surprised that Vancouver outlawed by vote fireworks inside city limits. Mind you I set off a grand total of 0 fireworks yesterday, not because it was illegal where I live (it's not) but because I was ill and needed to conserve my energy for work the next day.
I understand that animals don't like the 4th, my old buddy yellow lab would hide under my daughter's bed when things took off. And obviously I get the noise issue, and mess from people shooting stuff onto your property... I guess I don't understand why we as a society are willing to give up yet another right to government control. I think that fireworks are a great way to tip our virtual hat to our founding fathers and the veterans who have served this country with distinction.
Remember when EVERYONE had and knew how to safety operate a firearm because it was just another tool like a shovel or an axe? Now people get the idea of safe gun handling from Hollywood movies. The same is happening with fireworks. I am a member of NFPA because I have to be for my work. But they have been on a mission to get residential fireworks banned for years now, They envision that residents will buy their fireworks and take them to the local fire department to set them off for them.... I find this idea ridiculous and extremely offensive.... Maybe I am just getting too old for this society :(

Wow, I am a little surprised to read this thread. I live in the county where launching fireworks is still legal (for now) and I was really surprised that Vancouver outlawed by vote fireworks inside city limits. Mind you I set off a grand total of 0 fireworks yesterday, not because it was illegal where I live (it's not) but because I was ill and needed to conserve my energy for work the next day.
I understand that animals don't like the 4th, my old buddy yellow lab would hide under my daughter's bed when things took off. And obviously I get the noise issue, and mess from people shooting stuff onto your property... I guess I don't understand why we as a society are willing to give up yet another right to government control. I think that fireworks are a great way to tip our virtual hat to our founding fathers and the veterans who have served this country with distinction.
Remember when EVERYONE had and knew how to safety operate a firearm because it was just another tool like a shovel or an axe? Now people get the idea of safe gun handling from Hollywood movies. The same is happening with fireworks. I am a member of NFPA because I have to be for my work. But they have been on a mission to get residential fireworks banned for years now, They envision that residents will buy their fireworks and take them to the local fire department to set them off for them.... I find this idea ridiculous and extremely offensive.... Maybe I am just getting too old for this society :(

This is yet another great example of a few morons do something stupid. So since we as a society have decided no one is responsible for personal actions, people scream for law makers to "do something". The do something is ban more things. The people who vote, vote for this. The majority have decided personal responsibility is bad. So they promote laws to protect people from themselves.

This is yet another great example of a few morons do something stupid. So since we as a society have decided no one is responsible for personal actions, people scream for law makers to "do something". The do something is ban more things. The people who vote, vote for this. The majority have decided personal responsibility is bad. So they promote laws to protect people from themselves.

The Vancouver fire departments told the city that they could not assist with medical emergencies because they were over burdened with putting out fires is my understanding.

Salute veterans by offering some peace and quiet. ;)

I guess I have to respectfully disagree... I understand the need for peace and quiet, but for one day a year, I am ok with what should be a loud, noisy celebration IMHO. I guess I am more in line with John Adams as to the disposition of the holiday:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with [Shows], Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

Of course the Holiday got moved to the 4th from the second, but that's kind of beside the point. Obviously however, the majority of the voters in Vancouver disagree with both me and President Adams....I just think it's a bit of a shame.

I got an interesting view of what happens when fireworks are outlawed. We were at my sister's house, east of Vancouver. Lots of mortars, rockets, and other fireworks going off. Their neighbors are transplants, in the last year, from southern California. They said they never had fireworks growing up in CA. They came here and bought a bunch of different stuff, up to the mortar shells. Now here is the interesting part - as they had no prior experience with fireworks, they displayed, very clearly, they had NO CLUE how to safely set them off. I can't count the number of times they walked over the top of a firework that clearly wasn't done going off. At one point, one of them was almost directly over a mortar when it went off - he barely missed getting hit. They were picking up fireworks that may not have been done yet. All in all, I saw a lot of stupidity, from, thankfully, a safe distance since they were down the street a bit from us.

I do kind of wonder if making these things illegal has a negative effect, just as taking away things like gun safety training from our schools leave us with plebes that never learned how to safely handle things like firearms and fireworks. Is it really leading to a safer society? Or are bans creating more and more people that can't be trusted with something as simple as a firework?

Etrain, you have stated much more eloquently what I was expressing as a concern regarding outlawing fireworks. Well done :s0152:

Well, thank you. But it was reading your post that reminded me of what I saw last night - something I hadn't thought about posting prior to reading your post. I actually took the chance to discuss that very thing with some family members there last night - they agreed, it appeared keeping those folks in complete isolation from fireworks actually made them MORE dangerous with fireworks - through sheer lack of knowledge/incompetence.

I guess I have to respectfully disagree... I understand the need for peace and quiet, but for one day a year, I am ok with what should be a loud, noisy celebration IMHO. I guess I am more in line with John Adams as to the disposition of the holiday:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with [Shows], Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

Of course the Holiday got moved to the 4th from the second, but that's kind of beside the point. Obviously however, the majority of the voters in Vancouver disagree with both me and President Adams....I just think it's a bit of a shame.

I'd be TOTALLY fine if it was FIVE days.... but, we've "enjoyed" the spectacle for almost two weeks and I suspect for at least another week of continuance....

Over the last two weeks my GD dog in abject fear and "animal panic" has destroyed two gates bulling her way through them (she's a stout Lab), she's taken shelter in my workshop (through the dog door) and has knocked all kinds of sheite over trying to stuff herself into every nook and cranny in the shelves to cower.

Motherbubblegummer.... ENOUGH ALREADY! :rolleyes:

I'd be TOTALLY fine if it was FIVE days.... but, we've "enjoyed" the spectacle for almost two weeks and I suspect for at least another week of continuance....

Over the last two weeks my GD dog in abject fear and "animal panic" has destroyed two gates bulling her way through them (she's a stout Lab), she's taken shelter in my workshop (through the dog door) and has knocked all kinds of sheite over trying to stuff herself into every nook and cranny in the shelves to cower.

Motherbubblegummer.... ENOUGH ALREADY! :rolleyes:

You need to move closer to where I live - heard some in the neighborhood on the 3rd, some on the 4th and only one today. None of them were ongoing or after 11:00pm. Seems we're in kind of a dead zone for fireworks.

You need to move closer to where I live - heard some in the neighborhood on the 3rd, some on the 4th and only one today. None of them were ongoing or after 11:00pm. Seems we're in kind of a dead zone for fireworks.

My GD (see? It's got me all cussing now...) windows were SHAKING from "professional grade" mortars going off until past 1am... I get up @ 5am for work. :mad:

People enjoy fireworks, but my enthusiasm ends when the crap ends up on my house, cars and lawn. Its really inconsiderate.

Its basically, screw you, Im gonna have fun and to hell with your property. If I did what I really like to do, such as shooting out windows with bb guns, filling his motorcycle gas tank with epoxy, peeing on his door knob, putting it in his wife's butt and then smearing it on his pillow, hed say I'M the azzhole. But its all in good fun!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top