JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to like go to Waffle House when I lived in the South just for the "colorful" characters that go there. I just know my fave missing-tooth friendly waitress that always called me "Hon" was packing heat. I always tipped her well.
(Waffles weren't bad either...especially in the early wee hours)

Seriously, though, firing over the head of the robbers out on the street *after* they left
was a bad call. First and foremost it endangered innocent bystanders. Second, it overstepped the line of legal & justifiable self defense if they were already running away.
In my CHL class my instructor would have graded that one a FAIL. My heart wants to be with the citizen who stepped up, but it's not because she went about it in the wrong way.

Last Edited:
I guess I'm just not quite as fired up in righteous indignation as some folks here. This is an example of the kinds of things that will happen when everybody is armed. The trick is to just not care. No doubt back in the "Wild West" all sorts of bad gun handling and shooting took place, yet it was one of the safest societies humans have experienced.

I prefer the philosophical outlook:
"Here (in America) the daily panorama of human existence, of private and communal folly, the unending procession of governmental extortions and chicaneries, of commercial brigandages and throat slittings, of theological buffoneeries, of aesthetic ribaldries, of legal swindles and harlotries, of miscellaneous rogueries, villainies, imbecilities, grotesqueries, and extravagances is so inordinately gross and preposterous, so perfectly brought up to the highest conceivable amperage, so steadily enriched with an almost fabulous daring and originality, that only a person born with a petrified diaphragm can fail to laugh himself to sleep every night and wake up with all the eager, unflagging expectation of a Sunday-School superintendent touring the Paris peep-shows."
--HL Mencken

n.b. I am not saying people should be careless.

Last Edited:
I guess I'm just not quite as fired up in righteous indignation as some folks here. This is an example of the kinds of things that will happen when everybody is armed. The trick is to just not care. No doubt back in the "Wild West" all sorts of bad gun handling and shooting took place, yet it was one of the safest societies humans have experienced.

"Here (in America) the daily panorama of human existence, of private and communal folly, the unending procession of governmental extortions and chicaneries, of commercial brigandages and throat slittings, of theological buffoneeries, of aesthetic ribaldries, of legal swindles and harlotries, of miscellaneous rogueries, villainies, imbecilities, grotesqueries, and extravagances is so inordinately gross and preposterous, so perfectly brought up to the highest conceivable amperage, so steadily enriched with an almost fabulous daring and originality, that only a person born with a petrified diaphragm can fail to laugh himself to sleep every night and wake up with all the eager, unflagging expectation of a Sunday-School superintendent touring the Paris peep-shows."
--HL Mencken

I'm with whoever quotes Mencken.

--HL Mencken

n.b. I am not saying people should be careless.

There was one big difference in the "past" and you don't have to go as far back as the "wild west". It was called personal responsibility. A LOT more people were a LOT more careful about doing "stupid stuff". Because it was known there would be consequences. When I was in school we did not bring a gun and start shooting because we knew what would happen. FEW people attacked a Cop, fewer yet took a shot at one. People knew full well what would happen if you did. When I was young you did not call a Cop a pig unless you wanted to get belted in the mouth. We have raised a couple generations of "nothing is your fault snowflakes" now. We are seeing what this has done to society.

Forget about lipping off to the cops, I watched a friend of mine lip off to his mom after she called him a little lying SOB, and his response was "Well, what does that that make you Ma!"
She clocked him so hard, he flew out the of kitchen and took the screen door with him.

Last Edited:
My employers headquarters is in GA, Norcross, GA. Home of Jimmy and the Waffle House.

Last time I was there, my bunky (ok not really, just the guy I had to share the rental car with)
insisted in eating at the Waffle House every, single, day ....
The one we passed had been in the news, several bodies dropped there. Outside in the parking lot. Over the years.

Then, last year, when I visited my Dad in FLA, I had to take the wife to the Waffle House. 10 miles from my dad's door. Fortunately it was right next door to a Cracker Barrel, another place she hadden't eaten. And the only place my bunky (above story) would eat dinner.

:s0054:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top