JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When taking firearms in a SUV, what does Oregon law say about having them in the car while traveling in Oregon? We will have no storage options outside of the car. No CHLs either.

Edit: found some law that seems to exclude long guns from any restrictions and says that handguns need to be in locked compartment or other container with no key in lock. Does that sound about right?

Last Edited:
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250

ORS 166.250, Section 4, in regards to handguns.

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b)If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B)The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

(c)If the vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or

(B)The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.

Yes, this has been my understanding.

FWIW, I keep an unloaded Shockwave "firearm" in a sub-floor storage area out of reach of the passenger compartment. Handguns should go in a locked container or with a cable lock there - even though the way the law reads this doesn't seem to apply to SUVs. My SUV - a BMW X1 doesn't have a locking glove box/console/etc. - the Germans know this is useless to prevent theft.

Yes, this has been my understanding.

FWIW, I keep an unloaded Shockwave "firearm" in a sub-floor storage area out of reach of the passenger compartment. Handguns should go in a locked container or with a cable lock there - even though the way the law reads this doesn't seem to apply to SUVs. My SUV - a BMW X1 doesn't have a locking glove box/console/etc. - the Germans know this is useless to prevent theft.
My plan is to throw a padlock on the factory handgun cases and not worry about the rifles. Thanks for the info everybody.

Hmmmm...when I travel in the old SUV with my range bag it is in the far back end cargo area, covered up. All firearms unloaded, kept in separate zippered gun rugs.

The ORS does not indicate "SUV" specifically but in our context, the rear of an SUV is NOT IMO, a "passenger compartment," nor would a gun bag way back there even be "readily accessible." No doubt, interpreted differently by every LEO you will come across :)

Buy a gun lock box like Hornady has with a security cable tie down if you want to be extra cautious...

Last Edited:
Keep in mind that the state allows local jurisdictions to make additional laws that apply to those that don't have an Oregon CHL that may limit rounds in magazines, clips or speed loaders, Portland for one.

Theoretically, most SUVs allow access to the cargo compartment from the rear passenger seats.

I have a false floor in my SUV - many SUVs have this. It is not "readily accessible" from the passenger compartment - but theoretically a passenger in the rear seat could maybe access something there with a lot of struggling and moving things around. They would have to remove the false floor - I am not sure that is possible - depends on where the gun is in that hidden storage.

Just the same, it would be best to have a handgun in a locked container should one encounter a gung-ho anti-gun LEO and DA and judge/jury - which these days is entirely possible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top