Oregon Firearms in SUV, no CHL.

arakboss

Reactions
When taking firearms in a SUV, what does Oregon law say about having them in the car while traveling in Oregon? We will have no storage options outside of the car. No CHLs either.

Edit: found some law that seems to exclude long guns from any restrictions and says that handguns need to be in locked compartment or other container with no key in lock. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Reactions
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250

ORS 166.250, Section 4, in regards to handguns.

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b)If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and

(B)The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

(c)If the vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:

(A)The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or

(B)The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.

The Heretic

Reactions
Yes, this has been my understanding.

FWIW, I keep an unloaded Shockwave "firearm" in a sub-floor storage area out of reach of the passenger compartment. Handguns should go in a locked container or with a cable lock there - even though the way the law reads this doesn't seem to apply to SUVs. My SUV - a BMW X1 doesn't have a locking glove box/console/etc. - the Germans know this is useless to prevent theft.

OP
A

arakboss

Reactions
Yes, this has been my understanding.

FWIW, I keep an unloaded Shockwave "firearm" in a sub-floor storage area out of reach of the passenger compartment. Handguns should go in a locked container or with a cable lock there - even though the way the law reads this doesn't seem to apply to SUVs. My SUV - a BMW X1 doesn't have a locking glove box/console/etc. - the Germans know this is useless to prevent theft.
My plan is to throw a padlock on the factory handgun cases and not worry about the rifles. Thanks for the info everybody.

Hmmmm...when I travel in the old SUV with my range bag it is in the far back end cargo area, covered up. All firearms unloaded, kept in separate zippered gun rugs.

The ORS does not indicate “SUV” specifically but in our context, the rear of an SUV is NOT IMO, a “passenger compartment,” nor would a gun bag way back there even be “readily accessible.” No doubt, interpreted differently by every LEO you will come across :)

Buy a gun lock box like Hornady has with a security cable tie down if you want to be extra cautious...

Last edited:

The Heretic

Reactions
Theoretically, most SUVs allow access to the cargo compartment from the rear passenger seats.

I have a false floor in my SUV - many SUVs have this. It is not "readily accessible" from the passenger compartment - but theoretically a passenger in the rear seat could maybe access something there with a lot of struggling and moving things around. They would have to remove the false floor - I am not sure that is possible - depends on where the gun is in that hidden storage.

Just the same, it would be best to have a handgun in a locked container should one encounter a gung-ho anti-gun LEO and DA and judge/jury - which these days is entirely possible.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
  • Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
Top Bottom