Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

firearms in Canada eh?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Eagle_Adam, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Eagle_Adam

Eagle_Adam Portland Oregon Member

I will be visiting Canada in a few weeks and i am wondering if anybody knows the "laws" up north about carrying and possession of a firearm. I currently have a CHL from oregon and an american passport.

2. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

Unless you're an FBI agent who will be working on a joint investigation with the RCMP (or something like that), your handgun's not crossing the border. I believe there may be an exception for a hunting rifle you're planning to hunt with, but if you were planning to do that, you'd already have a permit and whatever else you needed to take it over.

3. Eagle_Adam

Eagle_Adam Portland Oregon Member

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

requires buying a permit for, as I remember, about $75 and might take several weeks to receive. There is a Canadian website with the requirements and form. I'll see if I can fine it while I wait for a file to download.

OK, here is what I found in less than 2 min.: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm This is the official RCMP site on guns.

It appears the the license is only $25 and is done instantly at the border if your weapon qualifies.

There is talk and a bill pending to abolish the registry for Canadian citizens, but I don't know if it affects the temporary import of long guns. The bill appears to have been put on hold over the summer. No magazines over 5 rds for centerfire long guns also.

Your CHL means NOTHING in a foreign country.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    SWWAC member

5. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

It used toi be if you were traveling through to Alaska from the US they would seal your long guns at the border and that seal had better be intact when you crossed into Alaska, but that was a long time ago.
    I don't patronize anything in Canada just because of their crap gun laws. I wouldn't give them a dime of tourist dollars.

6. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Do not evan think about taking a gun into canada they know what you are thinking.:laugh::laugh: