JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless you're an FBI agent who will be working on a joint investigation with the RCMP (or something like that), your handgun's not crossing the border. I believe there may be an exception for a hunting rifle you're planning to hunt with, but if you were planning to do that, you'd already have a permit and whatever else you needed to take it over.

I will be visiting Canada in a few weeks and i am wondering if anybody knows the "laws" up north about carrying and possession of a firearm. I currently have a CHL from oregon and an american passport.

requires buying a permit for, as I remember, about $75 and might take several weeks to receive. There is a Canadian website with the requirements and form. I'll see if I can fine it while I wait for a file to download.

OK, here is what I found in less than 2 min.: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm This is the official RCMP site on guns.

It appears the the license is only $25 and is done instantly at the border if your weapon qualifies.

There is talk and a bill pending to abolish the registry for Canadian citizens, but I don't know if it affects the temporary import of long guns. The bill appears to have been put on hold over the summer. No magazines over 5 rds for centerfire long guns also.

Your CHL means NOTHING in a foreign country.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

requires buying a permit for, as I remember, about $75 and might take several weeks to receive. There is a Canadian website with the requirements and form. I'll see if I can fine it while I wait for a file to download.

OK, here is what I found in less than 2 min.: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm This is the official RCMP site on guns.

It appears the the license is only $25 and is done instantly at the border if your weapon qualifies.

There is talk and a bill pending to abolish the registry for Canadian citizens, but I don't know if it affects the temporary import of long guns. The bill appears to have been put on hold over the summer. No magazines over 5 rds for centerfire long guns also.

Your CHL means NOTHING in a foreign country.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

It used toi be if you were traveling through to Alaska from the US they would seal your long guns at the border and that seal had better be intact when you crossed into Alaska, but that was a long time ago.
I don't patronize anything in Canada just because of their crap gun laws. I wouldn't give them a dime of tourist dollars.

I will be visiting Canada in a few weeks and i am wondering if anybody knows the "laws" up north about carrying and possession of a firearm. I currently have a CHL from oregon and an american passport.

Do not evan think about taking a gun into canada they know what you are thinking.:s0114::s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top