JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a 20 yo buying a larger caliber hunting rifle (my second gun) which i put a background check in for about 27 calendar days ago was about 50th in line. I know the new executive orders give a waiting period for people under 21 but almost a month seems outrageous. Just wondering if there is anyone I should reach out to besides the normal OSP challenge line (which I've yet to receive a follow up from after emails and phone calls). FFL also states that its not delayed only "pending". No record, not so much as a speeding ticket or school record.

I would have the FFL cancel the background check and submit a new one. Something seems hung up. Has the FFL called in to OSP to find out what is going on? They should have a separate phone number they can reach out on.

I would have the FFL cancel the background check and submit a new one. Something seems hung up. Has the FFL called in to OSP to find out what is going on? They should have a separate phone number they can reach out on.
If they cancel the background check i'm worried about the 10 day period reinstating or whatever bullbubblegum biden put into place. I called my FFL at week 2 and 3 and they weren't really helpful. I'll call again tomorrow and ask if they can make an inquiry I guess. Thank you!

I'm a 20 yo buying a larger caliber hunting rifle (my second gun) which i put a background check in for about 27 calendar days ago was about 50th in line. I know the new executive orders give a waiting period for people under 21 but almost a month seems outrageous. Just wondering if there is anyone I should reach out to besides the normal OSP challenge line (which I've yet to receive a follow up from after emails and phone calls). FFL also states that its not delayed only "pending". No record, not so much as a speeding ticket or school record.
The challenge line and emails are a lost cause. You can either have the dealer call an OSP supervisor to address it directly or you can drive to OSP headquarters in Salem, which may or may not help at all. I'm not familiar with the current under 21 requirements, but you're not really able to do anything except challenge a denial or expedite a delay by bringing in documentation. Dealer can cancel and re-run you, but there's a chance you just start the clock over if they're holding it back for a reason. Best course is for your ffl to get a supervisor on the line and find out why it's not moving.

My .02 in this matter. Cancel the sale and background check. Go to another FFL or LGS that will release firearm after 3 to 5 days , if delayed. All legit. I had a friend who was delayed for six months a couple years ago. So he canceled the sale and bought a gun online and shipped it to Tigard Pawn 4 More. He got possession of the gun in 3-5 days.

My .02 in this matter. Cancel the sale and background check. Go to another FFL or LGS that will release firearm after 3 to 5 days , if delayed. All legit. I had a friend who was delayed for six months a couple years ago. So he canceled the sale and bought a gun online and shipped it to Tigard Pawn 4 More. He got possession of the gun in 3-5 days.
That doesn't work for under 21. Feeb law now has a 10-day waiting period. The OP is likely correct that if he cancels and re-submits it will start the 10-day clock back to zero.

As others stated... best option, IMO... wait it out and see if the FFL is willing to call in for a status check. Part of the new law also requires an "expanded" BGC. I'm not exactly sure what that all entails, but my understanding is the BGC goes above and beyond the typical. That in and of itself may be the cause for the delay. New procedures for those expanded BGC's at OSP may not be clear and someone might be sitting on it simply because they aren't quite sure how to proceed(?)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews