JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've long thought those birds would make excellent "air yachts" for private owners, sort of like a stealth business jet.. I mean, who's gonna turn a curious eye to a relatively stodgy little ex mil twinjet? ;)
Everybody, because mil birds aren't allowed to be sold to civvies unless Congress bends the Pentagon over and buttrape-forces them into it. Look what it took for Collings to get ONE F-4 Phantom saved from drone-and-blow or the scrapheap for airshow use... pity, I'd really like a Prowler as a "family truckster."

The Mini Boeing 737 Max would be an amazing fire bird, there are a bunch sitting around not being used, heck, Alaska Airlines has the biggest surplus, might be a good idea to strip them down and convert them, the palatalized M.A.P.P.S system could be installed pretty easy, and have almost twice the payload of the C-130!

Prayers for you and your family. Looks like you have a lot of defensible space there. Look how DARK it was in the middle of the day when you took those pics!

That reminds me of something I forgot to mention. Take VIDEO of your home and all of your belongings, should you have to evacuate like this. Open drawers, closets, and cupboards to document even what's inside. Same for the garage. You'll have documentation for the insurance company or LEO should it burn or be looted (God forbid).
I was doing that early this morning, sad to leave stuff behind. I couldn't find anyone willing or able to ride my Harley so it's still in the garage. Took pics of all sorts of things. Put the auto sprinklers on and crossed my fingers.

The Mini Boeing 737 Max would be an amazing fire bird, there are a bunch sitting around not being used, heck, Alaska Airlines has the biggest surplus, might be a good idea to strip them down and convert them, the palatalized M.A.P.P.S system could be installed pretty easy, and have almost twice the payload of the C-130!
Didnt the 737 Max fleet end up being grounded for some specific problems for a while??

Everybody, because mil birds aren't allowed to be sold to civvies unless Congress bends the Pentagon over and buttrape-forces them into it. Look what it took for Collings to get ONE F-4 Phantom saved from drone-and-blow or the scrapheap for airshow use... pity, I'd really like a Prowler as a "family truckster."

I believe the planes can be sold if the hard points for weapons are removed.

Well. Look how a private company had to go and get the American built F/A-18s from Australia for a private aggressor squadron training fleet.. and I believe the majority of US jet warbirds in civilian hands were purchased from other countries; not the US? (German F-104G and engines for example, in addition to the aforementioned F/A-18s)

CalFire/ColoradoFire own a yuge and growing fleet of ex mill airframes, and because they are "State" agencies, they get past the Mil restrictions! Same as the Sheriff's offices getting second hand UH-60's Black Hawks!

BTW, I know where there is a WW-II Douglas SBD-3 fire command aircraft that's been sitting for 40+ years unused, would be something pretty amazing to bring that bad boy back to flying condition! But, it sits, Unloved! At least it's in a old hanger and out of the elements!

Well. Look how a private company had to go and get the American built F/A-18s from Australia for a private aggressor squadron training fleet.. and I believe the majority of US jet warbirds in civilian hands were purchased from other countries; not the US? (German F-104G and engines for example, in addition to the aforementioned F/A-18s)

Maybe things changed - it used to be that you could buy at least some of the aircraft if the hard points for weapons were removed.

I did hear about foreign countries buying them and refitting them with weapons, retrofitting the hard points or some such.

Certain types, no problem, others, not so much! Airframes like the UH-60 are/were among the most restricted for sales, same with most current serving fighter types, once a type has been removed from U.S. Service, it can be sold with certain restrictions! So, in theory, one COULD buy such things as the F-104 stateside, only problem is, most were sold to other countries, and one has to go over seas to get one! Once the F-16 and F-15's are withdrawn from service ( Like the F-14) and cleared the 25 year old limits, one COULD purchase one here!

There's a reason theres so many Com-bloc jet trainers in US owner hands.. the Pentagon won't release the T-33s, T-2s, and similar planes for civilian ownership.

Edit. Apparently I'm wrong. Theres several T-2 Buckeyes in civilian ownership with N registration numbers added to their original USN livery

CalFire/ColoradoFire own a yuge and growing fleet of ex mill airframes, and because they are "State" agencies, they get past the Mil restrictions! Same as the Sheriff's offices getting second hand UH-60's Black Hawks!

BTW, I know where there is a WW-II Douglas SBD-3 fire command aircraft that's been sitting for 40+ years unused, would be something pretty amazing to bring that bad boy back to flying condition! But, it sits, Unloved! At least it's in a old hanger and out of the elements!
And I used to know JUST the guy for the job, he had to build about half a Dauntless from scratch to bring the last surviving Midway SBD back to life for Pensacola.

Had to evacuate about 90 minutes ago. :eek:

Some idiot apparently thought this was a good time to take his pickup into a field of dry grass and brush and it started a fire about 2 miles from my house.

_nc_ohc=xAFgKnwPOZsAX8sYqA8&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Drink some Scotch and grab the marshmallows,I guess.... I don't think I'd get out alive if where I am gets that bad that quick

I had stepped outside to check on conditions regarding the wind and the smoke/etc.

Noticed a helo circling around to the north and west.

Then heard sirens.

Went inside to check TVFR updates and found mention of fire to the north of me - but from the pics it appears that it is to the west of my house. Once I learned what was going on I started emailing and texting neighbors. One neighbor called me an said he was down near the fire, then said the FD had ordered evacuation "now". I was just starting to put stuff in my car when the sheriff deputy pulled up and told me to evacuate. Shortly afterwards the electricity was turned off.

Piled as much as I quickly could into car, locked everything up, checked on neighbors and left.

Our local fire is now pushing 80k acres (125 sq. miles).

FYI if you're downwind of a fire, i.e. ash is falling around you, keep in mind that it's not uncommon for a fire to drop BURNING cinders more than a mile out in front of it. Often it's dry grass, firewood, landscape bark, or similar that will kick off a firestorm in the middle of a residential area because the cinders land in dry matter and go unnoticed until it's too late. Keep your eyes peeled, and if possible, cover or remove any such flammables from around your home. If you're patrolling your area and see ANY smoke, don't hesitate to investigate and extinguish it if at all possible. Wood shake roofs and cedar/wood fences can be a particular problem.
Very light ash falling here in Wilsonville. Crazy times.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top